The Student Room Group

Manchester school of architecture studio culture

I chose the msa as my firm choice and university of Sheffield as my insurance. However, I have been hearing so many negative things about the msa, especially about the lack of studio culture, space and lack of time spent with tutors, which worry me. I heard that there are just too many students in msa (around 150 each year), which leads to lack of space and students feeling like the university only caring about their money. Is this really a big problem? If so, how is the university of Sheffield like compared to msa? What’s an ideal/average number of students in each year and do students usually get their own table in the studio?
Original post by Chloe.26
I chose the msa as my firm choice and university of Sheffield as my insurance. However, I have been hearing so many negative things about the msa, especially about the lack of studio culture, space and lack of time spent with tutors, which worry me. I heard that there are just too many students in msa (around 150 each year), which leads to lack of space and students feeling like the university only caring about their money. Is this really a big problem? If so, how is the university of Sheffield like compared to msa? What’s an ideal/average number of students in each year and do students usually get their own table in the studio?

If the feedback you have seen is recent, then it could be that MSA is suffering overcrowding due to more students than expected meeting their entry conditions due to grade inflation during Covid. I haven't seen any current MSA students on TSR for a while so you might not get a reply to your questions. Why don't you email the department directly and ask about numbers and dedicated studio space, or go to an offer holder day and ask the students.

Bear in mind that with reviews you are more likely to see negative rather than positive reviews as people look for a place to vent. I've been on TSR for a few years and when students return to post about an architecture department, it has usually been negative. The following is a recent post from a Sheffield grad:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7317581

If you do decide that you want to change your firm and insurance choices and you are beyond the 14 day limit, then read this article:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/changing-your-mind-about-your-firm-or-insurance-choice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending