The Student Room Group

will the national 5’s that i am not taking onto higher level matter for university?

I am currently sitting my national 5’s in may this year and i am passing everything in my prelims so far apart from maths but im not so confident in the subjects that i am not taking on to higher next year such as modern studies and admin, i was wondering if these grades would matter in my university application since i would like to study english lit at edinburgh or glasgow after s6 and if they would even look at my nat 5 grades other than english and maths?
(edited 1 year ago)
You have to enter them in your UCAS application so they will see them but I have no idea how much they look at them once you have your achieved S5 grades. Maybe try in the Applications, Clearing and UCAS topic as there are uni admissions people in there who will be able to answer.
Original post by rubywilson0208
I am currently sitting my national 5’s in may this year and i am passing everything in my prelims so far apart from maths but im not so confident in the subjects that i am not taking on to higher next year such as modern studies and admin, i was wondering if these grades would matter in my university application since i would like to study english lit at edinburgh or glasgow after s6 and if they would even look at my nat 5 grades other than english and maths?

I wouldnt worry about it, Unis dont tend to look at nat5's unless they are needed for entry. Most unis look for good higher grades rather than nat 5's. The best thing you can do to maximise your chances of getting into the uni course you want to is take the highers you are best at/ what you need for entry. Related subjects are also a good idea, for example, essay subjects for english. If you are doing english at uni i would probably recommend at least one essay subject. If you only have english then people who are doing 2 essay subjects + english will have an advantage over you, not to mention advanced highers but thats a while away.

In short, Unis wont care about your nat5's that much, so study hard and good luck in your Nat 5's!
Original post by Comrade_Jelly
I wouldnt worry about it, Unis dont tend to look at nat5's unless they are needed for entry. Most unis look for good higher grades rather than nat 5's. The best thing you can do to maximise your chances of getting into the uni course you want to is take the highers you are best at/ what you need for entry. Related subjects are also a good idea, for example, essay subjects for english. If you are doing english at uni i would probably recommend at least one essay subject. If you only have english then people who are doing 2 essay subjects + english will have an advantage over you, not to mention advanced highers but thats a while away.

In short, Unis wont care about your nat5's that much, so study hard and good luck in your Nat 5's!

Thank you! my teachers recommended I take crash higher history in S6 as that's an essay based subject, as well as advanced higher english:smile:
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending