The Student Room Group

Personal statement advice?

Hello. I was thinking about starting to write up my personal statement anytime soon and I was wondering if the activities I'm doing right now are good enough, and if there are any improvements I could make. I am trying to do medicine at uni so here are the things I've been doing which I think will help:
1) Working at a pharmacy.
2) Volunteering for Elizabeth hospice.
3) About to have work experience at a hospital.

Would these 3 make a good enough personal statement? Do I need to do other things as well? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
(edited 1 year ago)
I got accepted into medicine last UCAS cycle, so I submitted my PS a couple months back. I can tell you that the experiences you've had are definitely more impressive than mine on paper, since most medicine related things I did were online and I still got in.

I would say that the most important thing isn't the title of the experiences you've had but how you use them, try to incorporate the lessons you've learnt and specific examples which led to these lessons, and how these skills/knowledge led to your increased understanding of the field which ultimately makes you more passionate and a better candidate for the course, and ultimately as a doctor.

There's never a set formula for a PS, mine was pretty unconventional, a lot of the times you can just put in other school activities you've done, or books you've read. As long as the takeaway from these things are related to you becoming a better doctor/med student, so they know your strengths as a candidate, and why they should pick you.

Again just sharing ideas from my research and what I've done, by no means is this a definite guide everyone's PS is done differently, it's personal after all lol. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending