The Student Room Group

Is Bukayo Saka the face of the Premier League?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Mess.
One player will break every single season scoring record in the premier league.

One player bottled his biggest moment in the season.

Literally everyone, including Arsenal fans, would take Haaland over Saka.

Ah thought I was talking to someone who actually could hold a proper footballing debate but no you had to ruin it with that embarrassing second statement. Saka has scored more winning goals than any other player this season which includes goals against United and Liverpool but you conveniently don’t mention that at all? Grow up will you honestly missing a pen in the 50th minute doesn’t mean he’s bottled anything you’re just unbelievably biased. I said YPOTY not POTY you sausage
Reply 21
Original post by Mess.
One player will break every single season scoring record in the premier league.

One player bottled his biggest moment in the season.

Literally everyone, including Arsenal fans, would take Haaland over Saka.

And also Saka is a winger not a striker Haaland will obviously score more goals. Your logic is so dense
TOTS

Pope
White Saliba Stones
Saka Rodri Partey Odegaard Martanelli
Haaland Rashford

Realise City will probably win the league and there and more Arsenal players, but City are so much of a machine that its hard to name individuals. If you put a gun to my head and asked me to recount more than 5 City games, I wouldnt be able to.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 23
Original post by cpt12_
Ah thought I was talking to someone who actually could hold a proper footballing debate but no you had to ruin it with that embarrassing second statement. Saka has scored more winning goals than any other player this season which includes goals against United and Liverpool but you conveniently don’t mention that at all? Grow up will you honestly missing a pen in the 50th minute doesn’t mean he’s bottled anything you’re just unbelievably biased. I said YPOTY not POTY you sausage

:rofl: talking about football knowledge and making an absolute rookie error.

Players had to be 21 or under on 01/07/2022 to qualify, guess when Haaland turned 22? 20 days later, so much knowledge you have, please teach me :coma:

Next rookie mistake, saying that Saka can’t score as many as a centre forward because he is a winger, let me just run this past your big brain energy:

- Salah, top scorer last season, second top scorer season before, top scorer 2 years before, top scorer year before

Guess what position Salah plays? Exactly the same as Saka, right wing :rofl:

Come at the king you best not miss.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by cpt12_
Bukayo Saka is undoubtedly the best winger in the world (bar Mbappe) and one of the best players this season. He has produced incredible numbers, being the only player to reach 10+ goals and 10+ assist in the PL, the biggest and toughest league in the world. Is it time to call him the face of the Premier League, replacing Salah on the throne and taking his crown?

His penalty bottled the league though.
Reply 25
Original post by Zürich
TOTS

Pope
White Saliba Stones
Haaland Rashford

Realise City will probably win the league and there and more Arsenal players, but City are so much of a machine that its hard to name individuals. If you put a gun to my head and asked me to recount more than 5 City games, I wouldnt be able to.

KDB over Odegaard
Rashford and Martinelli is a toss up.
Kane over whichever of the above 2 don’t get picked.

Stones feels a recency bias considering he’s only played in 18 league games. Probably Zinchenko over him.
Original post by Zürich
TOTS

Pope
White Saliba Stones
Haaland Rashford

No Bernardo or KDB
Reply 27
Original post by Mess.
:rofl: talking about football knowledge and making an absolute rookie error.

Players had to be 21 or under on 01/07/2022 to qualify, guess when Haaland turned 22? 20 days later, so much knowledge you have, please teach me :coma:

Next rookie mistake, saying that Saka can’t score as many as a centre forward because he is a winger, let me just run this past your big brain energy:

- Salah, top scorer last season, second top scorer season before, top scorer 2 years before, top scorer year before

Guess what position Salah plays? Exactly the same as Saka, right wing :rofl:

Come at the king you best not miss.

Never mentioned Haaland’s age at all but he doesn’t deserve to win the YPOTY based on the fact that all he offers is goals. You’re undoubtedly a stats merchant which gives me the impression that you’re a casual fan you can’t give me an argument that doesn’t involve stats. If we’re going to go down that path then Saka is the only player in the premier league to produce 10+ goals and 10+ assists, playing in a team that is top of the league and also has 2 other players in Martinelli and Odegaard who has also hit double figures in goals - meaning the way arsenal plays benefits every player in their attack they don’t rely on just Saka hence why he’s not hitting 30 goals a season.

With regards to the Salah argument, Klopp plays a system which allows Salah to invert between the right wing and centre forward - he essentially plays as a second striker which you would know if you actually watched the game with your eyes instead of numbers. Also Salah is 30 years of age, almost a decade older than Saka and considering Saka originally played as a LB before later converting to a RW in two arsenal teams that finished 8th on both occasions it’s pretty impressive that he’s even in the conversation.

You’re not a King you’re a pawn
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 28
Original post by cpt12_
Never mentioned Haaland’s age at all but he doesn’t deserve to win the YPOTY based on the fact that all he offers is goals. You’re undoubtedly a stats merchant which gives me the impression that you’re a casual fan you can’t give me an argument that doesn’t involve stats. If we’re going to go down that path then Saka is the only player in the premier league to produce 10+ goals and 10+ assists, playing in a team that is top of the league and also has 2 other players in Martinelli and Odegaard who has also hit double figures in goals - meaning the way arsenal plays benefits every player in their attack they don’t rely on just Saka hence why he’s not hitting 30 goals a season.

With regards to the Salah argument, Klopp plays a system which allows Salah to invert between the right wing and centre forward - he essentially plays as a second striker which you would know if you actually watched the game with your eyes instead of numbers. Also Salah is 30 years of age, almost a decade older than Saka and considering Saka originally played as a LB before later converting to a RW in two arsenal teams that finished 8th on both occasions it’s pretty impressive that he’s even in the conversation.

You’re not a King you’re a pawn

You know you thought Haaland didn’t qualify as you said that you were talking about YPOTY, not POTY. Saying that I was a sausage at the time.

The implication being that you believe Haaland to be most deserving of POTY and if that is true, then by default he is also YPOTY as he qualifies by 20 days :h:

I appreciate you trying, always good to stretch the brain sometimes but please do some additional training before taking another shot.

You can try and justify Salah however you want but the man plays RW and has been hitting those numbers since he was 25 in a Liverpool team that at the time was thought of as no better than a 4th place challenger. He’d also cried himself out of Chelsea, so clearly had a greater challenge to come back, rather than playing out of position for a bit. Bale did that and ended up the greatest ever British player, so clearly not as big a problem as you make out :dontknow:

Please remember football started before 2020.
Original post by cpt12_
He scored a penalty against Man City and Liverpool which you’ve failed to mention and has been Arsenal’s best player this season as well as being the front runner favourite for the YPOTY yet because he’s missed a penalty against West Ham (which can happen to any player - Kane against France, Salah twice this season) you’ve decided that he is now the sole reason why Arsenal won’t win the league? Well done mate you’re a fool

Take a deep breath and calm down. People like you are to easy to provoke, because you don't have a sense for fun.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Mess.
You know you thought Haaland didn’t qualify as you said that you were talking about YPOTY, not POTY. Saying that I was a sausage at the time.

The implication being that you believe Haaland to be most deserving of POTY and if that is true, then by default he is also YPOTY as he qualifies by 20 days :h:

I appreciate you trying, always good to stretch the brain sometimes but please do some additional training before taking another shot.

You can try and justify Salah however you want but the man plays RW and has been hitting those numbers since he was 25 in a Liverpool team that at the time was thought of as no better than a 4th place challenger. He’d also cried himself out of Chelsea, so clearly had a greater challenge to come back, rather than playing out of position for a bit. Bale did that and ended up the greatest ever British player, so clearly not as big a problem as you make out :dontknow:

Please remember football started before 2020.

You’re failing to understand what I’m saying. I appreciate that Haaland has been POTS based on the number of records he’s broken and goals he has scored but just because he qualifies for the YPOTY doesn’t mean he should win it. Ruben Dias won pots in 20/21 but didn’t win ypots even though at the time he qualified for it - Foden won it instead. It’s okay to not like Arsenal but don’t be a fool and discredit Saka’s achievements just because he missed a bloody penalty.

As for Salah, I’m not justifying anything but saying how it is. Why do you think Firmino never hit more than 15 goals in a season even though he was their number 9? Both Mane and Salah won the golden boot in 19/20 because of the very same reason that I explained but once again you’re only listening to what you want to listen.

Don’t get what the last statement has to do with anything? You’re the type of person to agree that Foden deserved it last year over someone like TAA who was nominated for the actual POTY - oh just like Haaland
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 31
Original post by cpt12_
You’re failing to understand what I’m saying. I appreciate that Haaland has been POTS based on the number of records he’s broken and goals he has scored but just because he qualifies for the YPOTY doesn’t mean he should win it. Ruben Dias won pots in 20/21 but didn’t win ypots even though at the time he qualified for it - Foden won it instead. It’s okay to not like Arsenal but don’t be a fool and discredit Saka’s achievements just because he missed a bloody penalty.

As for Salah, I’m not justifying anything but saying how it is. Why do you think Firmino never hit more than 15 goals in a season even though he was their number 9? Both Mane and Salah won the golden boot in 19/20 because of the very same reason that I explained but once again you’re only listening to what you want to listen.

Don’t get what the last statement has to do with anything? You’re the type of person to agree that Foden deserved it last year over someone like TAA who was nominated for the actual POTY - oh just like Haaland

If a player wins POTY and qualifies for YPOTY, then by default they are YPOTY. I don’t really get why you are trying to justify the unjustifiable, it’s just sad at this point. Just because idiots have made mistakes in the past, doesn’t mean you need to go down to their level. Come join us at the top, stop with the mental gymnastics.

So now you are saying that both Mane and Salah were playing pseudo-centre forward whilst playing on the wings? Do me a favour.

Either players who are RW/LW are wingers who don’t score goals and that justifies Saka or the RW/LW players in world football have been the main goal scorers over the past decade, which makes a mockery of your comments.

I appreciate moments like this are tough but we’ve all gone through them in life. Please admit your mistakes and start the journey to becoming your best self.

You were saying that Saka is incredible because he went from from LB to being a sort of prolific RW as though it was this incredible process that nobody has ever gone through before. The greatest ever British player has been there and done that already, so not as big a deal as you think.

You really need to keep your arguments straight in your own head, you’re playing yourself too hard here.
This is probably the worst take I have ever seen. I called it out as delusional when I first saw it. Saka actually went Madeiline McCann for the final 2 months of the season.
Reply 33
He's more like the worst player in the league going by his recent performances! But in saying that, he does have his moments every now and again.
Reply 34
Original post by cpt12_
Bukayo Saka is undoubtedly the best winger in the world (bar Mbappe) and one of the best players this season. He has produced incredible numbers, being the only player to reach 10+ goals and 10+ assist in the PL, the biggest and toughest league in the world. Is it time to call him the face of the Premier League, replacing Salah on the throne and taking his crown

i would say no. to be the 'face of the premier league' you gotta do it for multiple seasons, so atm salah. kdb and kane are up there, haaland prob the only player u could comfortably say is at that level of recognition in the league after one good season, and he just looks like hes going to get better as well which is a shame coz city play better without him

Quick Reply

Latest