The Student Room Group

Anxious about weird bowel movements please advice!!

I've been feeling quite worried lately because for a while now I have consistently been having loose stools (probably about type 5 on the stool chart) which never used to be normal for me. Back in November I also experienced blood in my stool, I'm still not 100% sure what caused this and if it was even actually blood but it really scared me at the time. It only happened once and hasn't happened since but I'm scared that it might. It's only been the last couple of days that I've started worrying again even though I think I've been having loose stools for a while now. But then again its difficult to tell as its only when I'm anxious that I start really tracking by bowel movements. I'm at uni but I'm still registered to my doctor at home, however I'm nervous to visit my home doctor since I've been quite a few times because of my health anxiety and it's embarassing. I'm wondering whether I should just register for a doctor at uni but that would mean I would no longer be registered at my home doctor's and my parents want me to stay registered at home. I'm really stressing because I don't know who to turn to about this and if anyone will even take my worries seriously because I'm only 19. Please can anyone give advice???
Reply 1
See a doctor.
Original post by Surnia
See a doctor.

Yeah I want to but I'm just nervous bc its so awkward and my parents aren't gonna believe me and idk im just so anxious rn :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah I want to but I'm just nervous bc its so awkward and my parents aren't gonna believe me and idk im just so anxious rn :frown:

You're an adult and it's nothing to do with your parents. Any changes in bowel movements are a reason to see a GP. If you want to register at uni, do so.
I've been feeling quite worried lately because for a while now I have consistently been having loose stools (probably about type 5 on the stool chart) which never used to be normal for me. Back in November I also experienced blood in my stool, I'm still not 100% sure what caused this and if it was even actually blood but it really scared me at the time. It only happened once and hasn't happened since but I'm scared that it might. It's only been the last couple of days that I've started worrying again even though I think I've been having loose stools for a while now. But then again its difficult to tell as its only when I'm anxious that I start really tracking by bowel movements. I'm at uni but I'm still registered to my doctor at home, however I'm nervous to visit my home doctor since I've been quite a few times because of my health anxiety and it's embarassing. I'm wondering whether I should just register for a doctor at uni but that would mean I would no longer be registered at my home doctor's and my parents want me to stay registered at home. I'm really stressing because I don't know who to turn to about this and if anyone will even take my worries seriously because I'm only 19. Please can anyone give advice???

Call the medical centre at your uni and ask if you need to register to get a GP appointment. They might let you register as a temporary resident:

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/nhs-services-and-treatments/how-can-i-see-a-gp-if-i-am-away-from-home/

If not, register anyway and get the advice you need. It's not embarrassing to talk about bowels - your GP will be used to it. I've been with similar concerns and the doctor felt my abdomen, ordered blood tests and sent me home with a FIT kit to get a sample. You need to get it checked out if you've seen blood.
Original post by normaw
Call the medical centre at your uni and ask if you need to register to get a GP appointment. They might let you register as a temporary resident:

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/nhs-services-and-treatments/how-can-i-see-a-gp-if-i-am-away-from-home/

If not, register anyway and get the advice you need. It's not embarrassing to talk about bowels - your GP will be used to it. I've been with similar concerns and the doctor felt my abdomen, ordered blood tests and sent me home with a FIT kit to get a sample. You need to get it checked out if you've seen blood.

Yeah ok thank you!! Although I'm going home for the holidays in a couple of days so maybe I'll just see my doctor at home. I just wish I'd gone back in November. I'm so scared that its too late.

Try not to worry it probably is something simple such as changes in the water or different foods you eat that cause loose stools. I'm no doctor but the blood with your bowel movements could be from excessive wiping try wet wipes or soft quilted toilet paper . If it continues definitely see a doctor. Hope you are feeling better soon

Latest