The Student Room Group

Med school entry

I am 38 and thinking of going to med school in about 4 or 5 years time the reason is that I have degree in art and masters and pgce which I did many many years ago I lived in abusive household and felt pushed in career I didn’t want to because I was told I wasn’t clever enough . I am unable to do second degree in science but really want to become doctor and follow a dream I never thought possible due to funding a can’t do second degree only if it medical degree my degree is high 2:2 but I was looking at the requirements and they want gcse and a levels which I don’t have but would be willing to study and gain them in relevant subjects to gain entry to med school would me going down the gcse and a level route still be considered over my degree in unrelated subject in to ungrad standard entry med any advice would be welcome.
(edited 1 year ago)
First of all, congratulations on pursuing your dream of becoming a doctor! It takes a lot of courage to make such a decision, especially after going through difficult circumstances. Here are some tips and advice that may be helpful:

Research the requirements of the medical schools you are interested in: Each medical school has its own admission requirements, so it's important to research them carefully. Some schools may require certain GCSEs and A-levels, while others may have different requirements. Make a list of the schools you are interested in and their specific requirements.

Consider taking courses to meet the requirements: If you are missing certain GCSEs or A-levels, you may want to consider taking courses to meet those requirements. Many schools and colleges offer courses specifically designed for adults who need to meet certain educational requirements. This can also be a good way to refresh your knowledge and skills in relevant subjects.

Consider alternative pathways: There are alternative pathways to becoming a doctor, such as graduate entry medicine programs or post-baccalaureate programs. These programs are designed for students who have already completed a degree in a non-science subject, but are interested in pursuing medicine. Research these programs and see if they are a good fit for you.
Overall, it may require some extra work and dedication, but if it's something you truly want, it's worth pursuing. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by paperpundit
First of all, congratulations on pursuing your dream of becoming a doctor! It takes a lot of courage to make such a decision, especially after going through difficult circumstances. Here are some tips and advice that may be helpful:

Research the requirements of the medical schools you are interested in: Each medical school has its own admission requirements, so it's important to research them carefully. Some schools may require certain GCSEs and A-levels, while others may have different requirements. Make a list of the schools you are interested in and their specific requirements.

Consider taking courses to meet the requirements: If you are missing certain GCSEs or A-levels, you may want to consider taking courses to meet those requirements. Many schools and colleges offer courses specifically designed for adults who need to meet certain educational requirements. This can also be a good way to refresh your knowledge and skills in relevant subjects.

Consider alternative pathways: There are alternative pathways to becoming a doctor, such as graduate entry medicine programs or post-baccalaureate programs. These programs are designed for students who have already completed a degree in a non-science subject, but are interested in pursuing medicine. Research these programs and see if they are a good fit for you.
Overall, it may require some extra work and dedication, but if it's something you truly want, it's worth pursuing. Good luck!

Thank you yeh I have been researching a lot and many want gcse in science based subjects and a levels which I am willing to do and gain and willing to get any work experience necessary I willing to put the work in to get into medical school but thank you for the advice it’s much appreciate I hope you have good day or night where ever you are in the world 😊
Original post by Aj84
Thank you yeh I have been researching a lot and many want gcse in science based subjects and a levels which I am willing to do and gain and willing to get any work experience necessary I willing to put the work in to get into medical school but thank you for the advice it’s much appreciate I hope you have good day or night where ever you are in the world 😊

You're welcome! It's great to hear that you are willing to put in the work and effort to pursue your dreams.
Reply 4
What’s your masters grade? The 2.2 is a sticking point for many universities although some will look at it if your masters is at an acceptable level.

At the moment I believe you’re eligible for Nottingham, SGUL, Swansea, and (potentially) Warwick. I could be wrong, though. And you’d need the GAMSAT for most of those.

I know you may be a little reluctant to consider alternatives but have you looked at PA courses and the AHP degrees like occupational therapy and speech and language therapy? These may give you the healthcare career you’re looking for and some of the autonomy as well. They are reasonably well paid, too.

I’m close to your age but I’m also in a position of having the A levels I need and having an offer in hand. It’s been 2 or 3 years getting there as well. It’s definitely worth a look.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending