The Student Room Group

is epq worth it for dentistry

i’m looking to apply for dentistry and am currently doing epq but it’s a lot of work and i’d much rather focus on a levels, but i know that universities like it as an extra qualification. but also, some don’t accept it if you’re applying for dent/med. so is it worth doing?
Reply 1
Original post by jenny666
i’m looking to apply for dentistry and am currently doing epq but it’s a lot of work and i’d much rather focus on a levels, but i know that universities like it as an extra qualification. but also, some don’t accept it if you’re applying for dent/med. so is it worth doing?

Look at the universities you may apply to and if they accept an EPQ for dentistry as in lower offers. If not, there is still value in doing an EPQ but not if it impacts on your A level work, imo.

It gives you something to talk about if you are interviewed and teaches academic writing, referencing, independent research etc.

Not worth a lower A level grade though.

My daughter did one, but that was because the universities she applied to lowered the offer a grade if she got an A in the EPQ.
(edited 1 year ago)
Heya!

I think overall doing an EPQ is pretty worth it. As long as you can sort of cram right before deadlines you set for yourself then realistically it shouldn't take that much time at all. (But this depends on whether you're doing this as a lower sixth or an upper sixth) An EPQ is worth it, at least for me, because it gave me an avenue to talk about my interests in my personal statement, it was something that I could talk about during interview (which I actually did in 3 of my 4 interviews), and really it's something that helps you understand the world of academic research. Plus, if it's about dentistry then you'll get a bit of a headstart in dental school in terms of learning about how things are done.

If you're doing 3 A-levels then I think an EPQ workload is more than manageable (just me though), but 4 + EPQ seems a bit much. Sheffield is the only dental university that takes an EPQ into account, where you would get a lower offer of AAB as opposed to AAA provided you achieve an A in your EPQ. Personally I didn't apply there because it wasn't my top choice but that's really up to you. If you really are struggling I'd suggest talking to your EPQ supervisor or perhaps a teacher or someone about this, and working out how you can schedule your time in and maintain your work-life balance. Regardless, I wish you luck, and if you need any help with your EPQ I'd be more than happy to help :biggrin: (Mine was on dental tech and I got a 48/50) All the best!
Do an EPQ if you want to do it for your own personal interest and you have a project that fits into the format of an EPQ, not for any other reason. It doesn't have enough of an effect on admissions (if any - many courses/unis will see it as a positive activity you can do but no better or worse than any other extracurricular activity) to warrant doing it solely for that purpose.

In fact in general, don't do things just for personal statement fodder, be they an EPQ, DofE, or anything else. It devalues the original purpose of those activities, you won't enjoy it or get much out of it personally, and they will typically make virtually no difference in admissions as noted in any case.
Reply 4
Original post by KindaSmartish
Heya!

I think overall doing an EPQ is pretty worth it. As long as you can sort of cram right before deadlines you set for yourself then realistically it shouldn't take that much time at all. (But this depends on whether you're doing this as a lower sixth or an upper sixth) An EPQ is worth it, at least for me, because it gave me an avenue to talk about my interests in my personal statement, it was something that I could talk about during interview (which I actually did in 3 of my 4 interviews), and really it's something that helps you understand the world of academic research. Plus, if it's about dentistry then you'll get a bit of a headstart in dental school in terms of learning about how things are done.

If you're doing 3 A-levels then I think an EPQ workload is more than manageable (just me though), but 4 + EPQ seems a bit much. Sheffield is the only dental university that takes an EPQ into account, where you would get a lower offer of AAB as opposed to AAA provided you achieve an A in your EPQ. Personally I didn't apply there because it wasn't my top choice but that's really up to you. If you really are struggling I'd suggest talking to your EPQ supervisor or perhaps a teacher or someone about this, and working out how you can schedule your time in and maintain your work-life balance. Regardless, I wish you luck, and if you need any help with your EPQ I'd be more than happy to help :biggrin: (Mine was on dental tech and I got a 48/50) All the best!

thanks for responding, this was really insightful!
may i ask what your epq question was and if you have any tips for epq (in general or dentistry specific), or anything related to the process of applying to dentistry? (:

Quick Reply

Latest