The Student Room Group

how useful is an EPQ for dentistry application?

I'm doing an EPQ about dentistry related topic, and I was wondering if it actually helps my application for dentistry, or is it just stressing over nothing?

im heavily considering dropping it because I've got so much stuff to go over the summer like the UCAT, my UCAS resit exams, writing my personal statement and my DT coursework :/
Reply 1
This is kind of up to you. The EPQ doesn't really contribute much with regard to your offer, unless you are planning on applying to Sheffield only, where they lower the offer requirements to AAB. Otherwise, the EPQ is basically just something that tells the interviewer/admissions officer that is assessing you that you can do research, you have decent reflecting and organizational skills. The EPQ is mainly there for you to carry out research that you enjoy, whether that be an artefact, dissertation, etc. It kind of helps during interviews if you are asked about a time that you have done research or further reading. But overall, the UCAT grades and your A level predicted grades are significantly more important, and if you think these may take a hit as a result of the EPQ then yes, definitely consider dropping it.
Reply 2
Original post by Akkot
I'm doing an EPQ about dentistry related topic, and I was wondering if it actually helps my application for dentistry, or is it just stressing over nothing?

im heavily considering dropping it because I've got so much stuff to go over the summer like the UCAT, my UCAS resit exams, writing my personal statement and my DT coursework :/

not needed.

Quick Reply

Latest