The Student Room Group

how many societies is too many?

i’m currently in year 13 and looking at societies at my firm choice uni. i had a look on the website and made a list of everything i’d love to join, and it’s come to 7. one of them is an appreciation society, and one of them i’m not sure about doing. two of them are my subject bc i’m doing a joint honours. and one of them is a music one, which has 3 different ensembles i’d like to join. i have a feeling this is too many but everything i see says to join as many as you want, and the music is really important to me since it’s not my course but i want to keep it up
Hi, congratulations on getting into uni! In terms of the societies I'd advice you keep all those societies in mind but don't over think it, go to freshers in September talk to all the societies, go to taster sessions, look at their calendars. Then you can decide on which ones you enjoy and which ones suit your timetable.
Best of luck!

Joseph - University of Sunderland Student Ambassador
Original post by Anonymous
i’m currently in year 13 and looking at societies at my firm choice uni. i had a look on the website and made a list of everything i’d love to join, and it’s come to 7. one of them is an appreciation society, and one of them i’m not sure about doing. two of them are my subject bc i’m doing a joint honours. and one of them is a music one, which has 3 different ensembles i’d like to join. i have a feeling this is too many but everything i see says to join as many as you want, and the music is really important to me since it’s not my course but i want to keep it up

Hey,

As others say, keep them in mind but do make sure you go to the taster sessions. They will be able to give you days/times etc. and you can see if they work in your schedule. There usually is a fee to joining a society so make sure it fits into your budget as well. If there are certain societies that are an absolute must, like music, maybe prioritise that and see how the others fit in.

Other than that, it is good to be busy and societies are a great way to make friends. Just make sure you have enough time for your studies and relaxation time!

All the best,
Sara :smile:

It's good to join societies but not too many that it risks your grades/free time as it can lead you to burnout which isn't pleasant coming from someone who's experienced it before.

Hey there!
It's good you've got a shortlist sorted as this will help you when you get there. My advice is to go and visit the sports and societies fairs during welcome week so you can meet the teams and see what you're working with. Take your list and cross off any you don't like upon meeting the team and finding out what's included. I will say that there's a very big possibility that some of these 7 societies have their training and meetings falling on the exact same day and time so this is something to be wary of. You do also have to take into account that you'll have lots of uni work to do and you won't understand your workload until you get there. There's always a chance you'll sign up to all of these then find you can't keep up with them all due to your work. I wouldn't let this discourage you however, as you could join them all at the start and then gradually cut it down once you know which ones you prefer.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

You can't really do too many, it's up to you to manage your time effectively and organise university work and your societies.

Hey!
First of all, it's great that you're interested in joining so many societies! However, it's important to consider how much time you realistically have to commit to them. Personally, I'm part of two societies - Photography and Entrepreneurship - and I find that 1-2 sessions per week works well for me, given my course workload, part-time job, and other social activities. So, my advice would be to think carefully about how much time you can realistically commit to societies, and choose accordingly.
Regarding shortlisting societies, I would recommend attending taster sessions. These give you a chance to try out a society before fully committing to it, and can help you get a better idea of whether or not it's something you'll be interested in in the long term. You may find that some societies don't match your expectations or interests, and that's okay! It's better to try them out first than to commit and then find that you're not enjoying it.
In terms of the specific societies you're interested in, I think it's great that you want to join an appreciation society - that's a great way to meet new people who share similar interests. However, you mentioned that you're not sure about one of the societies you've listed. My advice would be to attend a taster session for that society and see how you feel after that. You might find that it's not for you, or you might find that it's something you're really interested in after all.
Finally, I completely understand that music is really important to you, and it's great that the university has several ensembles that you're interested in. I would encourage you to prioritize this if it's something that brings you joy and fulfillment. Just remember to balance it with your course workload and other commitments!
I hope this helps, and good luck with your society search!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton
See what they are like and reduce them to about 2 I guess which you think you’ll enjoy the most.

Hi!

During my first year at university, I experienced the exact same situation. :biggrin:
Unfortunately, because I was overthinking so much, I did not join any societies at all.

So here is a small piece of advice:

1) Do not worry so much about whether there are too many or too few societies. Try everything you can because you will never know what is best for you until you try.

2) The first year at university is a wonderful time because you have so many opportunities around, so do not limit yourself to just a few of them.

Good luck!

- Ilya:rolleyes:

Hi there,
From experience, there's no perfect number of societies to join and it's entirely up to you how many you'd like to join. For example, in my first year, I joined five societies and actually ended up joining different ones the following year. They're a great way to meet like minded people and pursue your passions, so go for it!

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending