The Student Room Group

Thoughts on Materials Science and Engineering with Placement Year

What are anyone's opinions on BEng or MEng Materials Science and Engineering with Placement Year in Uni of Sheffield, Uni of Birmingham, Uni of Leeds, Loughborough Uni, and Swansea Uni? Which unis are better?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Harry Ong
What are anyone's opinions on Materials Science and Engineering BEng in Uni of Sheffield, Uni of Birmingham, Uni of Leeds, Loughborough Uni, and Swansea Uni? Which ones are better?

Hey @Harry Ong,

It's great to hear that you're interested in hearing about Loughborough :smile:

Have you taken a look at each of the course pages in detail? Here's Loughborough's page for its Materials Science and Engineering BEng course. You'll find details about modules, entry requirements and more information on that page.

I would also recommend seeing if there are any student stories available for your course if you want more information. Again, Loughborough's student stories are here.

I hope this helps :smile: if you have any other questions about Loughborough, let me know.

- Lindsay
Original post by Harry Ong
What are anyone's opinions on Materials Science and Engineering BEng in Uni of Sheffield, Uni of Birmingham, Uni of Leeds, Loughborough Uni, and Swansea Uni? Which ones are better?

Good Evening @Harry Ong!

Thank you so much for your interest in finding out more about Swansea University, we would be delighted to have you with us to join our welcoming and friendly student community.

In terms of course specifics, you could always check out the following link: https://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/engineering-applied-sciences/materials-engineering/beng-materials-science-engineering/.

Swansea offers the fantastic opportunity to study abroad or take a year in industry, if that's something that interests you!
Please see the following link for more information https://www.swansea.ac.uk/science-and-engineering/courses/year-in-industry/.

In terms of graduate opportunities: "Our graduates go on to have interesting and varied careers at companies such as, Tata Steel, Rolls-Royce, Jaguar Land Rover, Atkins, GE Aviation, Mott MacDonald and Babcock International Group. 97% of our graduates are in work or further study 6 months after graduating with their average salary being £24,000 (16/17 Graduate DLHE).''

We are also 1st in the UK for Overall Satisfaction (NSS 2022) and 4th in the UK for Student Satisfaction (Complete University Guide 2023). In terms of more course related stats, we are 11th in the UK for Materials Science and Engineering (Complete University Guide 2023) with Materials Technology being ranked 8th in the UK in the Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2023 and also ranked Top 100 in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2023.

In terms of which university is best for you, that is a decision that only you can make, but I hope that the information I have provided is helpful. We'd certainly love to have you join us here in Swansea.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Hope - Second Year Graduate Entry Medicine and Swansea Student Ambassador.
Reply 3
Original post by Loughborough University
Hey @Harry Ong,

It's great to hear that you're interested in hearing about Loughborough :smile:

Have you taken a look at each of the course pages in detail? Here's Loughborough's page for its Materials Science and Engineering BEng course. You'll find details about modules, entry requirements and more information on that page.

I would also recommend seeing if there are any student stories available for your course if you want more information. Again, Loughborough's student stories are here.

I hope this helps :smile: if you have any other questions about Loughborough, let me know.

- Lindsay

Thanks for the information Lindsay. 😁
Reply 4
Original post by Swansea Students
Good Evening @Harry Ong!

Thank you so much for your interest in finding out more about Swansea University, we would be delighted to have you with us to join our welcoming and friendly student community.

In terms of course specifics, you could always check out the following link: https://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/engineering-applied-sciences/materials-engineering/beng-materials-science-engineering/.

Swansea offers the fantastic opportunity to study abroad or take a year in industry, if that's something that interests you!
Please see the following link for more information https://www.swansea.ac.uk/science-and-engineering/courses/year-in-industry/.

In terms of graduate opportunities: "Our graduates go on to have interesting and varied careers at companies such as, Tata Steel, Rolls-Royce, Jaguar Land Rover, Atkins, GE Aviation, Mott MacDonald and Babcock International Group. 97% of our graduates are in work or further study 6 months after graduating with their average salary being £24,000 (16/17 Graduate DLHE).''

We are also 1st in the UK for Overall Satisfaction (NSS 2022) and 4th in the UK for Student Satisfaction (Complete University Guide 2023). In terms of more course related stats, we are 11th in the UK for Materials Science and Engineering (Complete University Guide 2023) with Materials Technology being ranked 8th in the UK in the Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2023 and also ranked Top 100 in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2023.

In terms of which university is best for you, that is a decision that only you can make, but I hope that the information I have provided is helpful. We'd certainly love to have you join us here in Swansea.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Hope - Second Year Graduate Entry Medicine and Swansea Student Ambassador.

Thank you for the information. 😁

Quick Reply

Latest