The Student Room Group

Do I have the right to be upset if my best friend completely forgot my birthday

I thought that i had finally made a group of friends that i could really relate with and where <i felt included, I told them when my birthday was and asked if they wanted to do anything and they said that they couldnt, the day of my birthday no one remembered not even my bff, and in the gc 2 of them where going to hangout, having said that they couldnt celebrate my birthday with me.
Am I just overreacting or do I have the right to be upset?
Seems like they aren’t treasuring you as a friend, I’ve had similar experiences before and honestly I felt terrible. Maybe it’s time to leave them and find other people who truly value u…?
Mine forgot my last birthday too, but he's a narcissist so it was hardly surprising.

It could mean one of two things... either they don't value you, or they have terrible memories.

My husband has no idea when our kids' birthdays are. He certainly values them dearly, he's just awful at remembering dates.
(edited 1 year ago)
hey, i don't think you are overreacting at all! it's totally understandable that you sort of expected your friends at the very least to wish you a happy birthday (or even a belated happy birthday the day after if they got caught up in things!!), especially as they planned to go out together after having told you they weren't free to see you on your birthday.

while it may not be easy, i would talk to them about it before making any hasty decisions. sometimes people are just thoughtless even when they do value friendships, and miscommunications can easily happen over text. maybe bring it up in person, at least to your closest friend, and tell her that you were a little disappointed / expected more as it clearly has upset you.

i'm sure it'll get sorted and cleared up - best of luck & hope you're not feeling too bad about it!!
Original post by anonymous_bird
I thought that i had finally made a group of friends that i could really relate with and where <i felt included, I told them when my birthday was and asked if they wanted to do anything and they said that they couldnt, the day of my birthday no one remembered not even my bff, and in the gc 2 of them where going to hangout, having said that they couldnt celebrate my birthday with me.
Am I just overreacting or do I have the right to be upset?

this is not even a question, you absolutely have the right to be annoyed! they don't seem like proper friends at all

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending