The Student Room Group

Moving out at 16 UK

Would it be illegal for me to move out of my parent's house and move into my sister's house?
She is over 18 and has her own house and she said I could move into her house any time I need it because my parents are awful. If I am 16 could I move out without my parent's permission, mainly because I don't want to risk being moved back because my parents are severely manipulative and wouldn't let me with their permission?
It is that time that we can apply for colleges and if I apply for colleges near my sisters' house would I still be stopped?
Original post by Anonymous
Would it be illegal for me to move out of my parent's house and move into my sister's house?
She is over 18 and has her own house and she said I could move into her house any time I need it because my parents are awful. If I am 16 could I move out without my parent's permission, mainly because I don't want to risk being moved back because my parents are severely manipulative and wouldn't let me with their permission?
It is that time that we can apply for colleges and if I apply for colleges near my sisters' house would I still be stopped?

At 16 you are legally capable of moving out without parental permission, in UK

You'd be fine
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
16-17 is a transition age as while your parents are still responsible for your welfare, it’s increasingly difficult to stop you doing things and perfectly legal to do most things. I don’t think there is any straightforward way they could prevent you moving out and particularly if you have adequate accommodation lined up. Doesn’t stop them kicking up a stink mind
dont let them know your moving tell them your staying with a friend
Original post by areebah99
dont let them know your moving tell them your staying with a friend

They have my location, and if i turn it off they ring me and if I don't answer ring everyone she knows to come look for me.
(Original post by Anonymous)They have my location, and if i turn it off they ring me and if I don't answer ring everyone she knows to come look for me.

oh thats sad
im in a similar situation
im 16 and my muslim mum wants me to be very girly clothes wise and the hijab bussness and no friends
like i dont even have a phone at 16 and i cant work
and she goes throught my room takes my stuff cant have makeup,nail polish ect
but hopefully everthing gets better

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending