The Student Room Group

Joining sixth form college as a 17 year old

I'm planning to move in to the UK from Sri Lanka this year... i'm 17. 17 is the year we start AS/AL examinations in out country but if I ever come there will I have to join classes with 16 year olds to catch up or do they let you straight in to the second year?
Original post by SinaliB
I'm planning to move in to the UK from Sri Lanka this year... i'm 17. 17 is the year we start AS/AL examinations in out country but if I ever come there will I have to join classes with 16 year olds to catch up or do they let you straight in to the second year?

If you’re planning on doing A levels then you’ll need to start with the 16 year olds in their first year of sixth form / college (the AS year), just because the courses have so much content that missing the first year would put you at a huge disadvantage. Don’t worry though, because you won’t be much older and some people do that year twice anyway if they mess up or change their minds about which subjects theyre taking
Original post by SinaliB

l used to live in SL. From what I know, if you go to an international/ private school you might be able to jump straight into grade 12 (yr 13) if your grades are good enough, but my guess is that they'd make you take an exam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending