The Student Room Group

Foundation courses

As someone who's taken all science subjects at A-level, can i do a foundation course in buisness and economics after Alevels and then apply for another university with my alevel grades while doing the foundation course? Also, can you mention that ur doing a foundation course in economics in ur personal statement and will that be treated the same way as an Economics A level? I'm currently considering this pathway as I regret applying for biochemistry and want to do economics but I don't want to take a gap year, and self-learning an Alevel seems to be very difficult.
Original post by samuelpoon912
As someone who's taken all science subjects at A-level, can i do a foundation course in buisness and economics after Alevels and then apply for another university with my alevel grades while doing the foundation course? Also, can you mention that ur doing a foundation course in economics in ur personal statement and will that be treated the same way as an Economics A level? I'm currently considering this pathway as I regret applying for biochemistry and want to do economics but I don't want to take a gap year, and self-learning an Alevel seems to be very difficult.

Eh?

For business degrees, you don't need any specific subjects just so long you have the right grades. If anything, the general grade requirements for business school related degrees tend to be lower than that for science subjects. Business A Level is not a required subject.
The only area in business where you would need a specific subject would be finance, and there you need A Level Maths (further maths might not be necessary, but there is an offchance the top end universities might ask for it in their finance courses because of how mathematical they are).

For economic degrees, you have 2 types: quantiative and nonquantitative. The nonquantiative requires no specific subjects, just the right grades. The quantiative degrees will at least require A Level Maths (some might ask for Further Maths on top). You won't need A Level Economics to go into the degree.
If you want to do a foundation year in economics, your A Levels should be more than enough so long the grades are high enough. See the following as examples:
https://www.mdx.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/economics-foundation-year
https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/5799/economics-foundation-year
https://www.essex.ac.uk/courses/ug00103/4/bsc-economics
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/economics/2023#entry
https://www.london.ac.uk/courses/bsc-economics#entry-requirements-19591 (for various degrees in London universities - it's a network of universities)

I can't see you ever really needing to do a foundation year in business; but you will likely need it for a degree in economics. Should you ever do one, make sure you do it at the university where you want to do your business/economics degree. It would be difficult to switch universities after you have done your foundaiton year, since each foundaiton year course is tailored to the specific university that it's taught at.

I personally find doing the A Level as a private candidate more convenient and not particularly difficult (at least it's not as bad as say chemistry, but to each his own). It's also significantly cheaper (£1000 including course fees, should you take a course on it) than a foundation year (£9250).

By the way, business economics is not the same thing as straight economics or business. It's economics with a business context and it's usually easier than a straight economics degree (so you might be able to skip the A Level Maths requirement, if you're lucky).
Financial economics is similarly somewhat different, but it's slightly more mathematical than business economics. I have not seen the need to use calculus in financial economics, but I might be wrong.

More to the point, what do you intend to do after your degree? If there's no specific career you want in economics, then there's not much point fussing over which degree in social science you end up doing. A degree in economics only offers you the advantage of becoming an economist or go into economics research (you're not likely going to need it anywhere else, including jobs in finance).
If you intend to work in a role in business, you won't likely even need a degree. The entry requirement for most business roles is just to show up and be competent. For pickier roles such as those in accounting and finance would require you to have specific professional qualifications suited for those particular roles - the entry requirements for these are generally A Levels in any subject, except for actuary where you will likely need A Level Maths.
If you want specific qualifications that would help you move up the corporate ladder quicker, there are usually professional qualifications that you can go for in marketing, HR, law, etc. The entry requirements for these qualifications is next to nothing if you start off at Level 3, but you can get exemptions for Level 3 and 6 if you have a suitable degree in the subject.
You won't need anything to start your own business, should you wish. However, I wouldn't recommend starting a business out of the blue with no background or experience. You will need the business knowledge and a craft, but you won't need to go through academia to get them.
If you intend to go into business research, you can do an MBA or MSc/MA in a business subject prior to doing your doctorate, and the entry requirements for these degrees are generally undergrads in any subject so long you have the right grade (MBA might ask for GRE/GMAT score and relevant managerial work experience)
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by MindMax2000
Eh?

For business degrees, you don't need any specific subjects just so long you have the right grades. If anything, the general grade requirements for business school related degrees tend to be lower than that for science subjects. Business A Level is not a required subject.
The only area in business where you would need a specific subject would be finance, and there you need A Level Maths (further maths might not be necessary, but there is an offchance the top end universities might ask for it in their finance courses because of how mathematical they are).

For economic degrees, you have 2 types: quantiative and nonquantitative. The nonquantiative requires no specific subjects, just the right grades. The quantiative degrees will at least require A Level Maths (some might ask for Further Maths on top). You won't need A Level Economics to go into the degree.
If you want to do a foundation year in economics, your A Levels should be more than enough so long the grades are high enough. See the following as examples:
https://www.mdx.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/economics-foundation-year
https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/5799/economics-foundation-year
https://www.essex.ac.uk/courses/ug00103/4/bsc-economics
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/economics/2023#entry
https://www.london.ac.uk/courses/bsc-economics#entry-requirements-19591 (for various degrees in London universities - it's a network of universities)

I can't see you ever really needing to do a foundation year in business; but you will likely need it for a degree in economics. Should you ever do one, make sure you do it at the university where you want to do your business/economics degree. It would be difficult to switch universities after you have done your foundaiton year, since each foundaiton year course is tailored to the specific university that it's taught at.

I personally find doing the A Level as a private candidate more convenient and not particularly difficult (at least it's not as bad as say chemistry, but to each his own). It's also significantly cheaper (£1000 including course fees, should you take a course on it) than a foundation year (£9250).

By the way, business economics is not the same thing as straight economics or business. It's economics with a business context and it's usually easier than a straight economics degree (so you might be able to skip the A Level Maths requirement, if you're lucky).
Financial economics is similarly somewhat different, but it's slightly more mathematical than business economics. I have not seen the need to use calculus in financial economics, but I might be wrong.

More to the point, what do you intend to do after your degree? If there's no specific career you want in economics, then there's not much point fussing over which degree in social science you end up doing. A degree in economics only offers you the advantage of becoming an economist or go into economics research (you're not likely going to need it anywhere else, including jobs in finance).
If you intend to work in a role in business, you won't likely even need a degree. The entry requirement for most business roles is just to show up and be competent. For pickier roles such as those in accounting and finance would require you to have specific professional qualifications suited for those particular roles - the entry requirements for these are generally A Levels in any subject, except for actuary where you will likely need A Level Maths.
If you want specific qualifications that would help you move up the corporate ladder quicker, there are usually professional qualifications that you can go for in marketing, HR, law, etc. The entry requirements for these qualifications is next to nothing if you start off at Level 3, but you can get exemptions for Level 3 and 6 if you have a suitable degree in the subject.
You won't need anything to start your own business, should you wish. However, I wouldn't recommend starting a business out of the blue with no background or experience. You will need the business knowledge and a craft, but you won't need to go through academia to get them.
If you intend to go into business research, you can do an MBA or MSc/MA in a business subject prior to doing your doctorate, and the entry requirements for these degrees are generally undergrads in any subject so long you have the right grade (MBA might ask for GRE/GMAT score and relevant managerial work experience)

Wow reli warms my heart so see such a detailed response:smile: ty. Basically, I've received offers for biochem but now am thinking that Id be more interested and happier doing Management Bsc. I dont reli want to take a gap year and was wondering if doing a foundation year would be a better choice as I have zero knowledge of economics and buisness which r the fundementals of a mangement degree. I am looking at Bath/Warwick's international foundation year as I still need 2 years to qualify as a British citizen hence I can apply for that. My parents have told me that theyre willing to fund me for the foundation year if i wish to do it(i do consider myself very lucky to not have to worry about student finance). Yes, I know i could do biochem and switch to buiness or sth else later but I just dont have any passion for sciences and I do want to make my uni life interesting. What do you say? should I do it?
Original post by samuelpoon912
Wow reli warms my heart so see such a detailed response:smile: ty. Basically, I've received offers for biochem but now am thinking that Id be more interested and happier doing Management Bsc. I dont reli want to take a gap year and was wondering if doing a foundation year would be a better choice as I have zero knowledge of economics and buisness which r the fundementals of a mangement degree. I am looking at Bath/Warwick's international foundation year as I still need 2 years to qualify as a British citizen hence I can apply for that. My parents have told me that theyre willing to fund me for the foundation year if i wish to do it(i do consider myself very lucky to not have to worry about student finance). Yes, I know i could do biochem and switch to buiness or sth else later but I just dont have any passion for sciences and I do want to make my uni life interesting. What do you say? should I do it?

happier doing Management Bsc
I am biased against Management degrees in general, so I might not be the most objective person to ask.

I am looking at Bath/Warwick's international foundation year as I still need 2 years to qualify as a British citizen hence I can apply for that.
If you're an international student, then you would need to do an international foundation year regardless of what degree in the UK you do (it's one of those things).

I have zero knowledge of economics and buisness which r the fundementals of a mangement degree
In terms of knowledge of economics and business, the general starting points that I recommend would be to read the following:

10 day MBA by Steven Silbiger

Personal MBA by Josh Kaufman

A Level Business Studies textbook (pick an exam board; my favourite being AQA)

Principles of Economics by Gregory Mankiw

The Undercover Economist by Tim Harford

A Level Economics textbook (again from any exam board, but my favourite being AQA)

The above should give you a general knowledge of the topics in both subjects.

If you intend to do economics, you would need to cover the material in A Level Maths. The specific mathematics concerned would include:

Statistics - hypothesis testing, correlation, variances, confidence intervals

Calculus - in particular, differentiation

Logarithms

If you choose the more mathematical modules in economics, you can encounter topics in differential equations, difference equations, and linear algebra (matrix calculations).

There is generally next to no maths in business degrees (believe me, I looked very hard to find something to scratch my itch). If there is any, you're generally looking at:

Series and sequences

Statistics - hypothesis testing, correlation, variances, confidence intervals

Exponentials

Linear programming

Most of the above can be found in the finance and business statistics modules. Other than the above, you're generally looking at straightforward arithmetic (adding, subtracting, division, multiplication), which is hardly noteworthy.

A good book to read through to prepare yourself for the maths in both disciplines is: Mathematics for Economics and Business by Ian Jacques. If you look at second hand book websites, you should be able to find a copy for a ridiculously low price. If not, you would want to look through the A Level Maths material for the above topics.
The alternative would be to get books from the Schaum's Outline series e.g. Mathematics of Finance is generally a good book for a number of areas in introductory financial mathematics, and Mathematical Methods for Business and Economics is probably the best book out there for all of the above (if you had to get a book, pick this one over Mathematics of Finance).

Yes, I know i could do biochem and switch to buiness or sth else later but I just dont have any passion for sciences and I do want to make my uni life interesting.
I am an advocate of students studying what they want to study and what they are interested in as opposed to what they are required to study. If you're not passionate about the sciences, then I don't see the sense in forcing yourself to do them and it's not likely that you would do well in them if you don't have an interest in them. (Again I am a fan of science degrees, so I am biased.)
On the other hand, I don't particularly favour doing degrees that you don't really need in practice, don't really offer you any advantages, and don't particularly lead you anywhere. However, if you really like management studies (I can't understand why) and you really want to study it, then by all means do so. Just take note of the above, and I strongly recommend getting a second opinion from current or previous management students to affirm your choice.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending