The Student Room Group

Weakness as an insecurity

I'm 17. Pretty unfit. I never thought strength would become my biggest insecurity?
I'm the weakest person that I know, genuinely and it's gotten to the point where I would like to go to the gym and work on it to make myself feel better and more confident and generally just healthy - however I literally can only lift like 10kg..
I feel that its just embarrassing, and I don't know where or how to start.
My friends invite me to go to the gym with them and help me but I'm too embarassed.
I just don't know what to do
start training at home, even if it's just push ups on an elevated surface. Do a crazy number go for a 100 a day and some tricep dips until you can start doing your own bodyweight, and then Id recommend to go to the gym alone, but remember that your friends are there to support you. Everybody starts somewhere. In a couple of months you'll feel a lot better about yourself
Original post by pips1242
I'm 17. Pretty unfit. I never thought strength would become my biggest insecurity?
I'm the weakest person that I know, genuinely and it's gotten to the point where I would like to go to the gym and work on it to make myself feel better and more confident and generally just healthy - however I literally can only lift like 10kg..
I feel that its just embarrassing, and I don't know where or how to start.
My friends invite me to go to the gym with them and help me but I'm too embarassed.
I just don't know what to do

Do callisthenics. The Recommended Routine in Reddit is good for that. However it doesn't train legs too frequently
Original post by brotherrasheed
start training at home, even if it's just push ups on an elevated surface. Do a crazy number go for a 100 a day and some tricep dips until you can start doing your own bodyweight, and then Id recommend to go to the gym alone, but remember that your friends are there to support you. Everybody starts somewhere. In a couple of months you'll feel a lot better about yourself

I disagree. After 20-30 in a row you're basically just training endurance, you need to increase the intensity. So pushups, pushups leaned to one arm, archer pushups, 1-arm pushups

Tricep dips? I'd say bench dips and then bodyweight dips. Pullups for the lats, squats for the legs, calf raises for calllves etc.

In reality the strong people tend to be better socially
Reply 3
Original post by justlearning1469

Evidence to support that statement?
Original post by Surnia

"Why are physically formidable men willingly allocated higher social status by others in cooperative groups? Ancestrally, physically formidable males would have been differentially equipped to generate benefits for groups by providing leadership services of within-group enforcement (e.g., implementing punishment of free riders) and between-group representation (e.g., negotiating with other coalitions). Therefore, we hypothesize that adaptations for social status allocation are designed to interpret men's physical formidability as a cue to these leadership abilities, and to allocate greater status to formidable men on this basis. These hypotheses were supported in 4 empirical studies wherein young adults rated standardized photos of subjects (targets) who were described as being part of a white-collar business consultancy. In Studies 1 and 2, male targets' physical strength positively predicted ratings of their projected status within the organization, and this effect was mediated by perceptions that stronger men possessed greater leadership abilities of within-group enforcement and between-group representation. Moreover, (a) these same patterns held whether status was conceptualized as overall ascendancy, prestige-based status, or dominance-based status, and (b) strong men who were perceived as aggressively self-interested were not allocated greater status. Finally, 2 experiments established the causality of physical formidability's effects on status-related perceptions by manipulating targets' relative strength (Study 3) and height (Study 4). In interpreting our findings, we argue that adaptations for formidability-based status allocation may have facilitated the evolution of group cooperation in humans and other primates."

Source: L. A. W. S. Z. L. A. C. R. JR; The role of Physical Formidability in human social status allocation. Journal of personality and social psychology (available at https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26653896/).
Reply 5
Original post by Surnia

Any advice to offer

Spoiler

Do callisthenics. The Recommended Routine in Reddit is good for that. However it doesn't train legs too frequently

I disagree. After 20-30 in a row you're basically just training endurance, you need to increase the intensity. So pushups, pushups leaned to one arm, archer pushups, 1-arm pushups

Tricep dips? I'd say bench dips and then bodyweight dips. Pullups for the lats, squats for the legs, calf raises for calllves etc.

You are right, I just typed out what I remembered doing. I think the number of push ups was a mental thing more than anything
Reply 7
"Why are physically formidable men willingly allocated higher social status by others in cooperative groups? Ancestrally, physically formidable males would have been differentially equipped to generate benefits for groups by providing leadership services of within-group enforcement (e.g., implementing punishment of free riders) and between-group representation (e.g., negotiating with other coalitions). Therefore, we hypothesize that adaptations for social status allocation are designed to interpret men's physical formidability as a cue to these leadership abilities, and to allocate greater status to formidable men on this basis. These hypotheses were supported in 4 empirical studies wherein young adults rated standardized photos of subjects (targets) who were described as being part of a white-collar business consultancy. In Studies 1 and 2, male targets' physical strength positively predicted ratings of their projected status within the organization, and this effect was mediated by perceptions that stronger men possessed greater leadership abilities of within-group enforcement and between-group representation. Moreover, (a) these same patterns held whether status was conceptualized as overall ascendancy, prestige-based status, or dominance-based status, and (b) strong men who were perceived as aggressively self-interested were not allocated greater status. Finally, 2 experiments established the causality of physical formidability's effects on status-related perceptions by manipulating targets' relative strength (Study 3) and height (Study 4). In interpreting our findings, we argue that adaptations for formidability-based status allocation may have facilitated the evolution of group cooperation in humans and other primates."

Source: L. A. W. S. Z. L. A. C. R. JR; The role of Physical Formidability in human social status allocation. Journal of personality and social psychology (available at https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26653896/).

'Allocated' doesn't mean they are better.
Original post by Surnia
'Allocated' doesn't mean they are better.

Yeah, but you can clearly see physical strength is important for social standing.

No wonder why many girls simp for bodybuilders and tough men physically. And men to a lesser extent
Reply 9
Original post by pips1242
Any advice to offer

Spoiler

As suggested, you can start to train at and from home. Use chairs and stairs. Walk. Walk with weights. Cycle. Find an online fitness programme to follw, even one for the Armed Forces. When you are more confident book fitness classes and an induction at a gym so a PT can advise on a programme.

And ignore the "bodybuilders have more social standing". If you are fit, healthy and good company, you'll very fine.
Original post by Surnia
As suggested, you can start to train at and from home. Use chairs and stairs. Walk. Walk with weights. Cycle. Find an online fitness programme to follw, even one for the Armed Forces. When you are more confident book fitness classes and an induction at a gym so a PT can advise on a programme.

And ignore the "bodybuilders have more social standing". If you are fit, healthy and good company, you'll very fine.

Good training, altthough fitness programs should emphasize all major muscles nd also the minor muscles, to prevent imbalances.

Tough people tend to have higher social standing. I get much more female attention when I'm really fit, then when before I was overweight and sedentary
(edited 1 year ago)
Some people feel self-conscious, anxious, and fearful when in front of others. It doesn't matter whether it's a group of colleagues or family members. This can extend to even the smallest of social encounters like a date

Quick Reply

Latest