The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Higher tier Maths Paper 1 1H (1MA1) - 19th May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Talkative Toad
Edexcel GCSE higher tier Maths 1H (1MA1) - 19th May 2023 [Exam Chat]
Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Wishing you all the best of luck. :yy:

General Information
Date/Time: 19th May 2023, am
Length: 1hr 30mins

Resources
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-gcses/mathematics-2015.html
https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/past-papers/gcse-maths/edexcel-paper-1/
https://corbettmaths.com/
https://www.drfrostmaths.com/courses.php?sid=-10
https://www.onmaths.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSQYu9QvAJk (Paper 1 OnMaths 2023 Predicted paper Higher Tier walkthrough)
2023 GCSE exam thread directory

Does anyone have any tips on how to tackle the final harder questions?
Reply 21
Try and break it down into smaller steps, and work backwards to figure out what you need to do to answer it before you start doing calculations. For example if you see there's some geometry that'll come together to make a simultaneous equation (2 unknowns) or a quadratic (a squared). A lot of the last questions are like this, and i find that really helpful :smile:

Original post by Ayehhhh
Does anyone have any tips on how to tackle the final harder questions?
Reply 22
My teacher is always saying to focus on the first half of the paper (before the staples), get through it quickly and precisely, checking as you go (so you dont have to come back, try putting numbers back into the equation your given, that sorta thing), and then you've got plenty of time to tackle the ematy questions at the end. If you can get >95% on the first half, then you're in great shape for a strong nine.
Original post by johnjohn1223
any tips to get a grade 9 in a month?
Reply 23
Original post by pintodog
Try and break it down into smaller steps, and work backwards to figure out what you need to do to answer it before you start doing calculations. For example if you see there's some geometry that'll come together to make a simultaneous equation (2 unknowns) or a quadratic (a squared). A lot of the last questions are like this, and i find that really helpful :smile:

Thank you!
Original post by mzzz_k
y'aaaalllllll what r ur best tips on doing last min revision for gcse maths higher???? idk what to dooooo altho my first exam is i think a month away i still dkkkkkk how to revise for it ))))): i'm jus watching random vids n practicing them & doing past paper things kinda but fr how would i actually start revising? (btw them revision checklists kinda bs for me)

Hi, I'm a third year maths student at Lancaster University and I thought I could share some revision tips that have worked well for me in the past:
1) Past Papers: This is probably one of the most effective ways you can revise. The more you do the better. It can help you a lot with exam technique, types of questions you'll be asked and pacing yourself in the exam. There are lots of websites that you can download them from, or there's also websites that will create a mock exam for you.
2) Work through your notes and textbooks: Make sure you understand all the key concepts and practice questions on each topic. If you don't understand a particular topic there are lots of helpful question sheets online that you can work through. It would also be helpful to ask a friend or teacher for help.
3) Watch YouTube videos: I have found that there are lots of very helpful videos on YouTube that explain each topic clearly and concisely. They often go through examples so this can be very helpful.
4) Revise with your friends: Go through exam papers or question sheets with your friends and then mark each others work. It can be exceedingly helpful to see each others approach to solving a question. It's also a great way to stay motivated with your revision.
5) Attend revision sessions: If your school runs revision sessions I would definitely suggest going along to them. They can be a great way to get some extra help from your teacher.
6) Flashcards: I found that the corbett maths flashcards were really useful instead of using a list of topics. I could sort them into piles based on what I understood well, partially understood and what I didn't understand. They explain each topic really concisely and also have links to questions you can do.

I hope this helps and good luck with your exams!

- Penelope (Lancaster University Mathematics Student Ambassador)
(edited 11 months ago)
2 days left
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi, I'm a third year maths student at Lancaster University and I thought I could share some revision tips that have worked well for me in the past:
1) Past Papers: This is probably one of the most effective ways you can revise. The more you do the better. It can help you a lot with exam technique, types of questions you'll be asked and pacing yourself in the exam. There are lots of websites that you can download them from, or there's also websites that will create a mock exam for you.
2) Work through your notes and textbooks: Make sure you understand all the key concepts and practice questions on each topic. If you don't understand a particular topic there are lots of helpful question sheets online that you can work through. It would also be helpful to ask a friend or teacher for help.
3) Watch YouTube videos: I have found that there are lots of very helpful videos on YouTube that explain each topic clearly and concisely. They often go through examples so this can be very helpful.
4) Revise with your friends: Go through exam papers or question sheets with your friends and then mark each others work. It can be exceedingly helpful to see each others approach to solving a question. It's also a great way to stay motivated with your revision.
5) Attend revision sessions: If your school runs revision sessions I would definitely suggest going along to them. They can be a great way to get some extra help from your teacher.
6) Flashcards: I found that the corbett maths flashcards were really useful instead of using a list of topics. I could sort them into piles based on what I understood well, partially understood and what I didn't understand. They explain each topic really concisely and also have links to questions you can do.

I hope this helps and good luck with your exams!

- Penelope (Lancaster University Mathematics Student Ambassador)

Nice advice
good luck to everyone tomorrow :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by acolourfulhuman
good luck to everyone tomorrow :smile:

What are you going to spend the time revising this evening?
Reply 29
sub
Original post by moroselife
sub

Subscribe?
Reply 31
there are free practice papers and that here:

https://thirdspacelearning.com/secondary-resources/gcse-maths/
Hi :smile:

I'm tagging in all Year 11's who have been active recently on TSR. This is the conversation for your Edexcel Higher GCSE Maths Exam for the 19th May 2023.

Use this space for any last minute revision and preperation and to find out how you've done afterwards :smile:

If you don't take Edexcel Higher then not to worry, I've linked to the other boards you are likely studying with below:

Edexcel Foundation
AQA Higher
AQA Foundation

Good luck with your exams!

Year 11

Reply 33
Original post by Talkative Toad
Subscribe?

it was just so i get notifications from this chat
Reply 34
With probability, should you assume that the balls don't get replaced if the question doesn't specify? For example this question:
17. There are 9 counters in a bag.
7 of the counters are green.
2 of the counters are blue.
Ria takes at random two counters from the bag.
Work out the probability that Ria takes one counter of each colour.
You must show your working.

(2017 non-calculator)
Reply 35
Original post by Bksa
With probability, should you assume that the balls don't get replaced if the question doesn't specify? For example this question:
17. There are 9 counters in a bag.
7 of the counters are green.
2 of the counters are blue.
Ria takes at random two counters from the bag.
Work out the probability that Ria takes one counter of each colour.
You must show your working.

(2017 non-calculator)

yup
Reply 36
Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 17.30.15.png
(edited 11 months ago)
You've found the correct angle for one of the corners of the hexagon (120) and the angle of one corner of a square is obviously 90 degrees. hence the angle x is 360-90-120=150
Reply 38
When ever we do end of topic in class, i always get 90 to 100%. However, in GCSE Maths, im only getting a 8 (usually in between 55-65/80). Theres no pattern in why i get stuff wrong, just concentration errors for the most. I try to check through my work, but i think that i ended up thinking i am completely correct, so i can't see my mistakes until someone points it out. Any way how to break out of this so i can get a 9.
Reply 39
Quite stressed about maths tomorrow since somehow I overlooked maths and did little revision for it all week. I plan on getting through 4 predicted papers (taking them with a pinch of salt, but doing them for practice ofc) and then working through topics I find difficult. Aiming for a grade 7 since maths isn't my strongest subject - I've been getting 6s and 7s since year 10, so aiming higher than a 7 isn't the most realistic idea, but I really hope to achieve at least that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending