The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Mathematics Paper 1 (Higher) 8300/1H - 19th May 2023 [ Exam Chat]

Poll

How did your AQA GCSE Higher tier Maths Paper 1 exam go?

AQA GCSE Mathematics Paper 1 (Higher) 8300/1H - 19th May 2023 [Exam Chat]
Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Also, check out our article of student reactions to the exam - your comments on this thread might be on there!

Wishing you all the best of luck. :yy:

General Information
Date/Time: 19th May 2023, am
Length: 1hr 30 mins

Resources
https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/gcse/mathematics-8300
https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/past-papers/gcse-maths/
https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/mathematics/AQA-8300H-FS-INS-2023.PDF
https://corbettmaths.com/
https://www.onmaths.com/
Well done everyone :smile:
(edited 10 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Maths defo my weakest subject
Paper 1 is next week how to go from a 4/5 to 6/7+
Reply 2
Original post by student2023.
Maths defo my weakest subject
Paper 1 is next week how to go from a 4/5 to 6/7+

literally just keep doing questions until you figure them out. go on maths genie and complete all the grade 8 and grade 9 questions and if you find them too hard, do the grade 7 qs.
Original post by shruts
literally just keep doing questions until you figure them out. go on maths genie and complete all the grade 8 and grade 9 questions and if you find them too hard, do the grade 7 qs.

When I see these grade 6-9 questions my mind goes blank
I think I should try them out and if I don’t understand to watch videos on em

i did try it with simultaneous equations but my head couldn’t figure it out properly

got so much subjects to revise for still 😩
Reply 4
When I see these grade 6-9 questions my mind goes blank
I think I should try them out and if I don’t understand to watch videos on em

i did try it with simultaneous equations but my head couldn’t figure it out properly

got so much subjects to revise for still 😩

I can try helping you for those
Original post by Ashlyn01
I can try helping you for those

How?
pls give me advice my exams next Friday
Reply 6
How?
pls give me advice my exams next Friday

Here's a simple one:
Y is a constant number. That number is four
X equals 2 times Y and add three after that.

y = 4
x = 2y + 3

Substitute (swap in/out) the value of y to find x.
Reply 7
This might be a dumb question but is there any way of knowing which topics will be on paper 1. Like for biology paper 1 it's topics B1-B3, is there anything similar for maths - also good luck to anyone sitting paper 1 on Friday :smile:
Original post by 3mily567
This might be a dumb question but is there any way of knowing which topics will be on paper 1. Like for biology paper 1 it's topics B1-B3, is there anything similar for maths - also good luck to anyone sitting paper 1 on Friday :smile:

Nope for maths anything can cme up

But if u search non calc maths paper topics gcse then there’ll be a website first class maths that has predictions of topics if u do end up revising all them topics you’ll get at least 30-40 marks in each paper!
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 9
Nope for maths anything can cme up

But if u search non calc maths paper topics gcse then there’ll be a website first class maths that has predictions of topics if u do end up revising all them topics you’ll get at least 30-40 marks in each paper!

thank you I will have a look :smile:
Reply 10
Hey everyone!! I made this so we can all bounce things off each other with good sites and advice for last minute revision!
Hey,
Does anyone know what equations you need to know for aqa gcse maths. Because I have the equation sheet, but things like volume of a cone and surface area of a cone aren't on there. Does that mean you're supposed to memorise them because I wouldn't have imagined so but they're not on the sheet?
Reply 12
Original post by laaibadar
Hey everyone!! I made this so we can all bounce things off each other with good sites and advice for last minute revision!

Past papers. Past papers. Past papers. Maths genie is a great place to find them as well as the official AQA website. At this stage that will get you in the mindset for tomorrow but also allow you to identify and weak areas so you can focus on them in any last minute revision.
Original post by convivialkiwi
Hey,
Does anyone know what equations you need to know for aqa gcse maths. Because I have the equation sheet, but things like volume of a cone and surface area of a cone aren't on there. Does that mean you're supposed to memorise them because I wouldn't have imagined so but they're not on the sheet?

It seems that sometimes they give the equation (in a question) and sometimes not, but I wouldn't risk and just learn them
When you've learnt them, make sure to do some gradually more difficult exam questions to get used to them because those equation usually come up in the harder questions at the end
Reply 14
Hey, any last minute topics for maths tomorrow? Aiming for a 9 so really want to nail the hard qs at the end if anyone has any suggestions of last minute things to practice?
Reply 15
Looks like I'm the first here again, but I had to check I was definitely doing the higher paper, my maths teacher was shocked that bearings, construction, circle theorems etc didn't come up
Original post by benstone24
Looks like I'm the first here again, but I had to check I was definitely doing the higher paper, my maths teacher was shocked that bearings, construction, circle theorems etc didn't come up

Hey! How did it go?!
how was it guys
Reply 18
Original post by Evil Homer
Hey! How did it go?!

Went pretty well overall, was a great paper
Original post by benstone24
Went pretty well overall, was a great paper

Congratulations! Doing anything to celebrate getting through to the weekend?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending