The Student Room Group

Confused about SFE loans

Hiya! I’ve been told to post my issue here and I might get some advice?

I’m starting the following course in September:

The University of Winchester, Social Work MSc (PG)
Degree level: undergraduate entry

I have been trying to work out the finance and I’m SUPER confused. My course is 2 years full time and costs £19,100 for the two years. I have heard we can apply to an NHS bursary BUT I then wouldn’t be allowed to apply to SFE.

Very confused by this as the NHS bursary, after tuition fees, would leave me around £500 for the entire year…..

Since I’ll be doing a full-time, 2 year course with over 170 days placement, I don’t understand how I can work full time on top of that.

Either way if I only get SFE or the NHS bursary, it doesn’t seem financially doable and I feel like I’m missing something.

I’ve checked my University for scholarships etc. but I’m hitting a dead end.
Original post by emma_hatt0n

I have been trying to work out the finance and I’m SUPER confused. My course is 2 years full time and costs £19,100 for the two years. I have heard we can apply to an NHS bursary BUT I then wouldn’t be allowed to apply to SFE.

Very confused by this as the NHS bursary, after tuition fees, would leave me around £500 for the entire year…..

Since I’ll be doing a full-time, 2 year course with over 170 days placement, I don’t understand how I can work full time on top of that.

Either way if I only get SFE or the NHS bursary, it doesn’t seem financially doable and I feel like I’m missing something.

Hi there, Is this the 1st time applying for funding? Do you hold a qualification prior to starting this course? Thanks, Karen
Original post by SFE Karen
Hi there, Is this the 1st time applying for funding? Do you hold a qualification prior to starting this course? Thanks, Karen

I hold a BA Hons Journalism qualification from the same University and I received undergraduate funding for all three years of my degree from SFE
(edited 1 year ago)

I hold a BA Hons Journalism qualification from the same University and I received undergraduate funding for all three years of my degree from SFE

Hi Emma,

I have checked our course database that is updated by the university and the 2 year course attracts the Postgraduate Loan only. The undergraduate level of funding is only allocated to the 3 year and 4 year course. You would be best speaking with the university regarding this first of all, as it seems the course you are referring to isn't showing on our shared database.

Thanks, Clare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending