The Student Room Group

Is sfe going to take my loan off me

Some background i went to uni for a year my attendance was awful because I hated the course, did all of the year apart from final exams. Right after I moved out I sent them an email saying I won’t be coming back and they sent me a letter a few days after saying I was kicked out because of lack of attendance. Now I’m confused as to whether I dropped out or was kicked out? While I was still at uni I applied to another uni got in and applied for a new student loan, got the usual letter saying everything was fine and I’ve been awarded x amount. I’m now very very worried though that my new uni is going to take my place off me or that sfe is going to take my new loan away.
Reply 1
Original post by Cerysmacdonald
Some background i went to uni for a year my attendance was awful because I hated the course, did all of the year apart from final exams. Right after I moved out I sent them an email saying I won’t be coming back and they sent me a letter a few days after saying I was kicked out because of lack of attendance. Now I’m confused as to whether I dropped out or was kicked out? While I was still at uni I applied to another uni got in and applied for a new student loan, got the usual letter saying everything was fine and I’ve been awarded x amount. I’m now very very worried though that my new uni is going to take my place off me or that sfe is going to take my new loan away.

No they won’t. SFE allows all students loans for the length of their original course plus one year (e.g my course was 4 years, so I was entitled to 5 years in total if i needed it). So you have used the year of grace they’ve given, doesn’t really matter if you dropped out or were kicked out.

So now if you fail this year of your new course and need to resit, you would have to pay for a year out your own pocket, that’s what the year is there for, a safety net when things go wrong (changing course late in the game or a year didnt go your way). You are still obligated to repay the loan you received though.

Relax for now, its the government, if you owed them any money you would know about it by now lol
Thanks a lot! I got a letter today saying I owed just over a grand back because I was over payed so I’m hoping once I pay it it’s the last I hear about it from them :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending