The Student Room Group

Dentistry Foundation Year

Hi, has anyone applied to plymouths dentistry with a foundation year? ive seen they accept btecs without an extra a level and lower tbe gcse requirements and wanna know if anyone has looked into it/ started the course
Reply 1
Original post by Pharmlover
Hi, has anyone applied to plymouths dentistry with a foundation year? ive seen they accept btecs without an extra a level and lower tbe gcse requirements and wanna know if anyone has looked into it/ started the course

Hi, I applied with applied science Btec D*D*D* this year and have been offered a place. Happy to help with any questions you might have :smile:
Original post by hvice
Hi, I applied with applied science Btec D*D*D* this year and have been offered a place. Happy to help with any questions you might have :smile:

What did you get in your gsces?
Reply 3
hey what was the application progress like?
Original post by hvice
Reply 4
Original post by farhaan1232
What did you get in your gsces?

Pretty average. 7s in maths, science and English and then 5/6s in everything else
Reply 5
Original post by Pharmlover
hey what was the application progress like?

Apply via ucas like any other course and then if your application meets the minimum academic requirements, you should be invited to interview. Plymouths communication is really good and heard back within 4 weeks with your score at interview. They also give you the threshold so if your score was close to the score required to get a place, you may get out in the waiting list. Hope that makes sense!
Hi, I had the exact same grades and applied but wasn’t even considered. I’m not sure why, do you have any tips as I want to reapply again this year. Also, did you do a UCAT as it doesn’t require one
Reply 7
Original post by Fizzy108
Hi, I had the exact same grades and applied but wasn’t even considered. I’m not sure why, do you have any tips as I want to reapply again this year. Also, did you do a UCAT as it doesn’t require one

Hi, for this course you need to meet contextual criteria so that may be why? Also, I would 100% reapply! I am a reapplicant and I’m so happy I did, it’s much better to hold out and go for what you really want than settling! I did do the ucat and applied to some other unis as I’ve spent my “year out” doing an access course
Original post by hvice
Hi, for this course you need to meet contextual criteria so that may be why? Also, I would 100% reapply! I am a reapplicant and I’m so happy I did, it’s much better to hold out and go for what you really want than settling! I did do the ucat and applied to some other unis as I’ve spent my “year out” doing an access course

Thank you for your response. Yeah I’ve just realised that I missed out including that part in my application. I do fit that criteria but didn’t upload any evidence which was a big mistake. I will definitely reapply this year, also if you don’t mind me asking which other unis did you apply to with your BTEC, as not many accept it as an entry requirement.
Reply 9
Thank you for your response. Yeah I’ve just realised that I missed out including that part in my application. I do fit that criteria but didn’t upload any evidence which was a big mistake. I will definitely reapply this year, also if you don’t mind me asking which other unis did you apply to with your BTEC, as not many accept it as an entry requirement.

Ah how annoying! Definitely reapply because I’m pretty sure (not 100%) that if you meet a minimum of 3 of the contextual requirements you have a very high chance of interview. I only applied to Plymouth and Sheffield this cycle with the Btec, but Bristol and many other unis do accept the Btec, just be sure to email them to check your units are accepted :smile:
Reply 10
@hvice Hiii congrats on getting a place!! How are you finding Plymouth? Also is it quite competitive?
Reply 11
Original post by Widz
@hvice Hiii congrats on getting a place!! How are you finding Plymouth? Also is it quite competitive?

Thankyou! I’ve not started yet but their communication was very good from start to finish; just in a bit of a lull now where I’m guessing they’re waiting for results day? The foundation year at Plymouth only offered 10 places this year I believe but it’s also the first year they’ve offered the foundation year so there may be more in the next application cycle :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by hvice
Thankyou! I’ve not started yet but their communication was very good from start to finish; just in a bit of a lull now where I’m guessing they’re waiting for results day? The foundation year at Plymouth only offered 10 places this year I believe but it’s also the first year they’ve offered the foundation year so there may be more in the next application cycle :smile:

Hello
Reply 13
Original post by hvice

Hello,
Do you think it is suitable to apply for this course with an access in higher education qualification. Also how many of the contextual requirements did you meet. And what was the interview like, would you say it was difficult, how/ what did you use to prepare for interview and what questions did they ask you. Finally Did they take your UCAT into consideration ? And what month did you receive an offer from them.
Really Sorry for all the questions !!! - I don’t have much help.
Also is it possible I add you back on socials.

Thanks a lot x
Reply 14
Original post by hvice

Hi, I wanted to ask how did the interview process go. Is it the same as the bds programme where it’s a MMI? Or is it just a general interview? I look forward to your reply, thank you
Reply 15
Hi, I wanted to ask how did the interview process go. Is it the same as the bds programme where it’s a MMI? Or is it just a general interview? I look forward to your reply, thank you

Hey! It was MMI! There’s loads of info on what to expect online! Good luck!!
Original post by hvice
hey, can i ask some questions because ive got an offer too!!
Reply 17
Original post by aafiyah39
hey, can i ask some questions because ive got an offer too!!
Hi of course!

Quick Reply

Latest