The Student Room Group

bad/lack of GCSE and no Maths A level for accounting and finance

Hi guys, im in yr 12 but for those who applied to Exeter and Southampton i was just wondering could i get in without A level Maths and bad/lack of GCSE's ? . Bascially i moved from Ireland to the uk when i was 16 meaning i could not do all my GCSE's in a year so i was send to a college that did gcse maths and english for people that failed, ended up getting

Maths: 5 (the college only offered foundation teir so i could not do higher even though i could)

English: 6

moved to another sixth form that did A levels,the subjects and current grades Im getting are

Geography: B

Economics: A*

Business: A*

im in a quite of a weird situation and pretty bumped out as they are the only RG that I meet the requirements for, i really wanted to go to Warwick but no way in hell is that happing. I'd be surprised if I even make it to uni

srry for making this long and sulky thx again.
Why do you want to do mathsy finance/accounting if you evidently don't like maths? You will not have a good time. However with a business degree you can become a salesperson in big financial institutions. Pays less than a trader but still pays very well.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by FortitudeBank
Why do you want to do mathsy finance/accounting if you evidently don't like maths? You will not have a good time. However with a business degree you can become a salesperson in big financial institutions. Pays less than a trader but still pays very well.

I dont dislike maths its just that i was never allowed to do higher maths, i wanted to do it and even asked my teacher but she said they only teach foundation, i have the irish equivalent of maths gcse but i dont know if unis will accept it
Original post by yupcabra23
I dont dislike maths its just that i was never allowed to do higher maths, i wanted to do it and even asked my teacher but she said they only teach foundation, i have the irish equivalent of maths gcse but i dont know if unis will accept it

The probability is they will accept your Irish GCSE but the only people who can advise you o this is the international office at each university. Ring them and discuss it after easter. The problems you will have is that top universities require A level Maths so that can affect you and some dont accept Economics and Business Studies together as they have similar content which would leave you with just 2 A levels in their eyes. You need to contact the universities as nobody here is going to able to give you an answer.
Original post by swanseajack1
The probability is they will accept your Irish GCSE but the only people who can advise you o this is the international office at each university. Ring them and discuss it after easter. The problems you will have is that top universities require A level Maths so that can affect you and some dont accept Economics and Business Studies together as they have similar content which would leave you with just 2 A levels in their eyes. You need to contact the universities as nobody here is going to able to give you an answer.

alright thx
Reply 5

I do Maths, Economics and Business Studies and have had offers from Bristol, Exeter and Edinburgh.
There's very little overlap between Economics and Bus. Studies in my A ' Level Boards topics.
Original post by dunnott
I do Maths, Economics and Business Studies and have had offers from Bristol, Exeter and Edinburgh.
There's very little overlap between Economics and Bus. Studies in my A ' Level Boards topics.

University of Warwick: ‘Breadth of subjects is valued by our selectors and therefore subjects with significantly overlapping curricula should be avoided where possible, for example economics and business studies.’

London School of Economics and Political Science: ‘The combination of business studies and economics as two separate A-levels is best avoided.’

It doesnt matter what you think. Some universities dont like it.
Reply 7
University of Warwick: ‘Breadth of subjects is valued by our selectors and therefore subjects with significantly overlapping curricula should be avoided where possible, for example economics and business studies.’

London School of Economics and Political Science: ‘The combination of business studies and economics as two separate A-levels is best avoided.’

It doesnt matter what you think. Some universities dont like it.

And some, including others in the top 10, don't have an issue with it. Just pointing that out.
Original post by dunnott

hi there

What was on your offer from exeter?
Reply 9
hi there

What was on your offer from exeter?

It's 3 A's
You should get offers from Southampton and Exeter if you get through the gcse filter.

You need to check their requirements for gcse maths and English. My suspicion is that you will need to sit gcse maths and get an appropriate grade. That’s not a bad idea in any case.
Original post by dunnott
It's 3 A's

could they potentially give me a offer if i got A*A*B
could they potentially give me a offer if i got A*A*B

They might but nobody including the university themselves knows until results day. It will depend on the numbers reaching their offers and whether they will have spaces,
Original post by ajj2000
You should get offers from Southampton and Exeter if you get through the gcse filter.

You need to check their requirements for gcse maths and English. My suspicion is that you will need to sit gcse maths and get an appropriate grade. That’s not a bad idea in any case.

i looked at their entry requirements Exeter wants a only a 5 for both ENG/MATHS

Southampton wants a 6 in math's but will drop it to a 5 if i do certain subjects like ECO, which i do

only thing that's worrying me is my lack of gcses and a level math's, which might not make a competitive applicant when compared to others
i looked at their entry requirements Exeter wants a only a 5 for both ENG/MATHS

Southampton wants a 6 in math's but will drop it to a 5 if i do certain subjects like ECO, which i do

only thing that's worrying me is my lack of gcses and a level math's, which might not make a competitive applicant when compared to others

Just checked Southampton and you are correct - if you get a B in economics, Business or Geography you are fine for them. Any other universities you are interested in, or a type of university/ course to make sure you'll have plenty of options?

I would check what accounting firms require for their GCSE grade requirements (or Irish equivalents) as that might be an issue when you apply for internships or graduate jobs.

I think you might drop a note to each university to check if there will be any issues. In general I don't think either Exeter or Southampton are hugely competitive for accounting. As such if you meet the requirements you should get an offer. This can change year on year but accounting tends to be a reasonably cheap course to expand numbers so probably not a huge risk.

As you'll have noted a few universities (including Warwick and LSE) do require A level maths. The large majority don't and it shouldn't play any part in the review of your application.
Original post by ajj2000
Just checked Southampton and you are correct - if you get a B in economics, Business or Geography you are fine for them. Any other universities you are interested in, or a type of university/ course to make sure you'll have plenty of options?

I would check what accounting firms require for their GCSE grade requirements (or Irish equivalents) as that might be an issue when you apply for internships or graduate jobs.

I think you might drop a note to each university to check if there will be any issues. In general I don't think either Exeter or Southampton are hugely competitive for accounting. As such if you meet the requirements you should get an offer. This can change year on year but accounting tends to be a reasonably cheap course to expand numbers so probably not a huge risk.

As you'll have noted a few universities (including Warwick and LSE) do require A level maths. The large majority don't and it shouldn't play any part in the review of your application.

well York has a accounting course which i meet the minimum requirements for

im also thinking about doing management BSc at Bath though they need a 6, they could lower it down to a 4 through contexual addmisions which i could possible get as i live in Salford which my teacher says is a deprived area

i know im at a disadvantage when compared to others but the only things i can thing of doing to stand out is a EPQ, maybe some accounting internships im thinking of doing this summer and read some books related to it.

in Ireland higher progression unto maths and english is a must and the irish equivalent of gcse does not matter for unis, if only it was the same here.
well York has a accounting course which i meet the minimum requirements for

im also thinking about doing management BSc at Bath though they need a 6, they could lower it down to a 4 through contexual addmisions which i could possible get as i live in Salford which my teacher says is a deprived area

i know im at a disadvantage when compared to others but the only things i can thing of doing to stand out is a EPQ, maybe some accounting internships im thinking of doing this summer and read some books related to it.

in Ireland higher progression unto maths and english is a must and the irish equivalent of gcse does not matter for unis, if only it was the same here.

I'm not sure that you are at a disadvantage. You do need your teachers to state the circumstances behind you not having more GCSEs on your reference/ entenuating circumstances, and email universities to confirm they will accept your application.

I would consider expanding your options by retaking GCSE maths - you might want to see if Manchester BAEcon course (A+F focus) would consider you under their WP scheme.
Original post by ajj2000
I'm not sure that you are at a disadvantage. You do need your teachers to state the circumstances behind you not having more GCSEs on your reference/ entenuating circumstances, and email universities to confirm they will accept your application.

I would consider expanding your options by retaking GCSE maths - you might want to see if Manchester BAEcon course (A+F focus) would consider you under their WP scheme.

hmm I guess, I might take on a AS core math's qualification instead as i wont have to learn on my own, unis like durham and edinburugh will accept a grade 5 if i get a grade B in it, only thing is i only learned about this recently, yr 12 is nearly done and if I did it in yr 13 I could only sit it in summer with my a levels, unless unis take predicted core math's grade they stated they need a B so Im assuming it needs to be achieved before applying not sure though
hmm I guess, I might take on a AS core math's qualification instead as i wont have to learn on my own, unis like durham and edinburugh will accept a grade 5 if i get a grade B in it, only thing is i only learned about this recently, yr 12 is nearly done and if I did it in yr 13 I could only sit it in summer with my a levels, unless unis take predicted core math's grade they stated they need a B so Im assuming it needs to be achieved before applying not sure though

In general it will just form part of their offer. I think the same applies if you take GCSE maths in the summer. Alternatively - year out and apply with achieved grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending