The Student Room Group

Family problems

I’m having some issues with my family, and they have issues amongst each other which is really upsetting and bringing me down. I have nobody to talk to about it and feel like nobody would understand.

I’ve been trying to distance from my family for years to live a better life but they need help so I have a relationship still. However staying close has its moments where I get stung. I don’t know what to do and feel really lonely.

Neither parent has or can give me what I need, they’re in a loveless marriage where they’re too co dependent to part ways (and not live a worse life). My dad has made joking comments about t*king his life and I’ve been a bit worried. He said he wasn’t serious.

(After my sibling and I have had previous attempts I don’t get why he would make a joke about this topic.)

My sibling has also distanced and been living a better life but now has to move back with my parents temporarily and it’s causing drama but she doesn’t know where else to go.

All this is giving me anxiety and I feel scared for my family’s mental health and a miserable future for them.

What would you do?
Original post by Anonymous
I’m having some issues with my family, and they have issues amongst each other which is really upsetting and bringing me down. I have nobody to talk to about it and feel like nobody would understand.

I’ve been trying to distance from my family for years to live a better life but they need help so I have a relationship still. However staying close has its moments where I get stung. I don’t know what to do and feel really lonely.

Neither parent has or can give me what I need, they’re in a loveless marriage where they’re too co dependent to part ways (and not live a worse life). My dad has made joking comments about t*king his life and I’ve been a bit worried. He said he wasn’t serious.

(After my sibling and I have had previous attempts I don’t get why he would make a joke about this topic.)

My sibling has also distanced and been living a better life but now has to move back with my parents temporarily and it’s causing drama but she doesn’t know where else to go.

All this is giving me anxiety and I feel scared for my family’s mental health and a miserable future for them.

What would you do?

That is a tough one, you can’t do much about it. It is probably best to them come to their senses, and let them realise something needs to change. I can definitely relate to your family bringing you down, when Covid first hit I was forced to move into my sisters and her boyfriend’s place. Because my dad got diagnosed with dementia plus having a intellectual disability, she thought she could spy on me and ganged up with my disability provider and them everything about me. We had a lot of arguments in that time, but got the boyfriend to stick up for her but nobody would do the same for me. On Christmas of that year I decided to get out of that environment and not to talk to her for months and months. About February of this year she started to realise how much her and the boyfriend have hurt me, and trying to make up for what had happened. I tell her I’m not ready to talk about it. So what I would recommenced is seek some support for yourself, try and encourage your family to get some help. Even if you tell them it is negatively affecting your mental health.
Original post by Fintan1993
That is a tough one, you can’t do much about it. It is probably best to them come to their senses, and let them realise something needs to change. I can definitely relate to your family bringing you down, when Covid first hit I was forced to move into my sisters and her boyfriend’s place. Because my dad got diagnosed with dementia plus having a intellectual disability, she thought she could spy on me and ganged up with my disability provider and them everything about me. We had a lot of arguments in that time, but got the boyfriend to stick up for her but nobody would do the same for me. On Christmas of that year I decided to get out of that environment and not to talk to her for months and months. About February of this year she started to realise how much her and the boyfriend have hurt me, and trying to make up for what had happened. I tell her I’m not ready to talk about it. So what I would recommenced is seek some support for yourself, try and encourage your family to get some help. Even if you tell them it is negatively affecting your mental health.

im sorry to hear what happened in your case - mind me asking how old you are?
Original post by Anonymous
im sorry to hear what happened in your case - mind me asking how old you are?

At the time I was 27 years old. I’m now 30 so it was a while ago, but I am now in a much better headspace.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending