The Student Room Group

seeking advise for alternative for a permeant address

Hi, I'm thinking of backpacking around Europe for a while and won't have a permanent home address. I'm also in the process of opening another bank account, and I'll likely need to update my information, including my National Insurance (NI). Is there a way to obtain an address that will be accepted in most places and where I can receive mail? I've already tried a PO Box, but they informed me that only deliveries are allowed, and nothing more.
Reply 1
Once you have a bank account established, you could pay for a service, such as Mailboxes Etc, and have them send on mail to you.

https://www.mbe.co.uk/mailbox/mail-forwarding-service

If you're travelling and want mail to be sent for your collection, you can use "post restante" in many countries to have mail sent to a local post office to await your collection.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poste_restante
Reply 2
Original post by Pickaname
Once you have a bank account established, you could pay for a service, such as Mailboxes Etc, and have them send on mail to you.

https://www.mbe.co.uk/mailbox/mail-forwarding-service

If you're travelling and want mail to be sent for your collection, you can use "post restante" in many countries to have mail sent to a local post office to await your collection.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poste_restante

Thank.

but the main issue is me using my address i want a new one, one that is not from family or friends. I head you can use air b&b but I'm not sure how that goes.
Reply 3
Original post by ScoobyZazzy
Hi, I'm thinking of backpacking around Europe for a while and won't have a permanent home address. I'm also in the process of opening another bank account, and I'll likely need to update my information, including my National Insurance (NI). Is there a way to obtain an address that will be accepted in most places and where I can receive mail? I've already tried a PO Box, but they informed me that only deliveries are allowed, and nothing more.

What more do you need than to have mail delivered to the PO Box? What other services are you expecting?

If you're away for up to 100 days, Royal Mail offer the "Keepsafe" service. It sounds like they keep hold of your mail and deliver it on your return. This is different from a PO Box, in that with the PO Box service you would normally be collecting mail sent to it on a regular basis. Info on Keepsafe here: https://www.royalmail.com/receiving/keepsafe

but the main issue is me using my address i want a new one, one that is not from family or friends. I head you can use air b&b but I'm not sure how that goes.

Presumably you can get stuff delivered to an Airbnb -- but only while you're staying there.
Thank.

You can't use an Air BnB. The problem is that once you have attached banking to an address, any financial problems can be connected to other people who live there. So no-one you don't know will (sensibly) allow a stranger to use their address as a permanent address if they aren't friends or family. It's the same reason homeless people have such problems getting back into work, they need a permanent address. You really need to find friends or family who will allow you to use their address.
Reply 5
Original post by threeportdrift
You can't use an Air BnB. The problem is that once you have attached banking to an address, any financial problems can be connected to other people who live there. So no-one you don't know will (sensibly) allow a stranger to use their address as a permanent address if they aren't friends or family. It's the same reason homeless people have such problems getting back into work, they need a permanent address. You really need to find friends or family who will allow you to use their address.

yeah thanks. but what about people who live in vans how do they go about it probably friends and family but there must be an alternative :/
Reply 6
You can't use an Air BnB. The problem is that once you have attached banking to an address, any financial problems can be connected to other people who live there.

It shouldn't work like that -- the only way to get a financial association with someone should be by holding a joint financial product with them -- e.g. a joint bank account or a mortgage.
yeah thanks. but what about people who live in vans how do they go about it probably friends and family but there must be an alternative :/

Look up what people who live on narrow boats do. The ones that don't have permanent moorings and have to move every couple of weeks must have a system.
Original post by martin7
It shouldn't work like that -- the only way to get a financial association with someone should be by holding a joint financial product with them -- e.g. a joint bank account or a mortgage.

Should be, but isn't.
Reply 9
Look up what people who live on narrow boats do. The ones that don't have permanent moorings and have to move every couple of weeks must have a system.

Honestly I might pull up to a canal and ask a brother 😭😭😭

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending