The Student Room Group

Help with taking a year out between second and third (final) years

Hi,

I’m considering taking a year out once I’ve finished second year but before starting third year but I’m just unsure if this will mean I lose funding and would have to self-fund my third year?

I have already used up my extra year of funding in the past at a different university. I had to drop out due to my declining health at the time and it was too difficult to manage giving I was in another country away from my support network.

I’m now due to finish my second year at my new university very soon but do not think it would be possible for me to complete my final year right away due to receiving less loan in the third year which would make it difficult to get by on. I wouldn’t be able to work as I’m also doing an unpaid internship 3 days a week which is vital to my future career so I just wouldn’t have the time.

I think it would be best to focus on the internship and work part time to put me in a better situation financially. I also could just really use a change of scenery as I’m not in the best headspace to spend another year in my uni town for many reasons.

I understand that I’ve used my extra year of funding already but I’m unsure if I would be charged for the third year if I suspend my studies before enrolment?

So to sum it up my question is would I be able to pick up where I left off and still have access to funding for my third year if I take a break in between?
Original post by Paisleybow01
Hi,

I’m considering taking a year out once I’ve finished second year but before starting third year but I’m just unsure if this will mean I lose funding and would have to self-fund my third year?

I have already used up my extra year of funding in the past at a different university. I had to drop out due to my declining health at the time and it was too difficult to manage giving I was in another country away from my support network.

I’m now due to finish my second year at my new university very soon but do not think it would be possible for me to complete my final year right away due to receiving less loan in the third year which would make it difficult to get by on. I wouldn’t be able to work as I’m also doing an unpaid internship 3 days a week which is vital to my future career so I just wouldn’t have the time.

I think it would be best to focus on the internship and work part time to put me in a better situation financially. I also could just really use a change of scenery as I’m not in the best headspace to spend another year in my uni town for many reasons.

I understand that I’ve used my extra year of funding already but I’m unsure if I would be charged for the third year if I suspend my studies before enrolment?

So to sum it up my question is would I be able to pick up where I left off and still have access to funding for my third year if I take a break in between?

Hi there,

Your eligibility for funding wouldn't be affected if you take a gap year, as long as you resume your studies on the same course and it is within a 2 year period.

Thanks, Clare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending