The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Student Budgeting Tips!

Given the rising cost of living, how do we as students keep up?
Here are a few small tips on how to stretch your dollar that I would like to share with you! :smile:

Set a budget
Setting a budget can go a long way in helping you plan out your monthly finances! Before coming to London, I had no idea how much money I would need for my daily living expenses and was not familiar with the shop prices in Kingston! I usually budget an estimate of £150 for groceries, £70 eating out, £20 laundry and phone bills, £30 transport, and £30 entertainment. However this is entirely dependent on your lifestyle, eating habits and where you live!

Shopping at Aldi and Lidl
Despite the rising costs of groceries, grocers like Aldi and Lidl are still one of the most economic and affordable among other grocers in the Kingston area. I usually stock groceries like eggs, carrots, sweet potatoes, canned fish, pulses, frozen fruits, frozen pizzas and ham as they tend to last longer and are easy to whip into a meal. Everyday items like soap, tooth paste, wet wipes are also pretty affordable! Other shops to check out are Poundland, Vinted, charity shops (2nd hand clothes, books and trinkets) or facebook marketplace (furniture and small appliances). :wink:

Meal prep and cook your own meals!
Living away from home for the first time can be tough, especially when you have to do everything on your own and juggle your health and studies! However, cooking your own meals can go a long way in saving money! I usually cook a big batch of pasta or a simple stew with a mixture of diced vegetables and protein. Vegetables like carrots, sweet potatoes, aubergines or courgettes, together with meats like eggs, minced beef, pork sausages or chicken. Canned food items and pusles like lentils, chickpeas, beans and chopped tomatoes can also be a quick and healthy way to jazz up your meal. Depending on how much you eat, cooking your own meals only costs a fraction of what you pay outside! That said, when my budget allows it and I don’t have time to cook, I usually eat at the canteen or small shops with student discounts.

Part-time work
One of the main reasons for choosing Kingston University was because of the student ambassador scheme and part time work opportunities the uni offered! If you ever get the chance, please sign up to be a part of this scheme! The work is flexible and pays well compared to some other part-time work outside of uni.

Lastly, remember to check for student discounts on platforms nectar, student beans and unified! Also, remember to ask if shops provide a student discount or membership (eg. art pass for exhibitions and museums) that may get you even more discounts! The student union and some faith societies also occasionally provide free breakfasts or meals, so make sure to keep an eye out for those as well.

I hope this gives you a small insight on how I budget and save money as a student. Know of any other great ways to budget for the academic year? Please feel free to share them in the comments below!:u:

Zhi En (BA Fashion):colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending