The Student Room Group

gcse help

hey i was wondering if anyone had any advice/ tips for revision, ive got my spanish speaking exam in a few days and havent started revising yet
(bad i know) and my teacher is very bad, im doing higher and she only teaches foundation content as classes are mixed so does anyone have any tips for spanish? (mainly speaking as thats my worst one)

how do feel motivated to revise, with exams coming up most of my friends have all started but i just cant get into it
Hola/Buenas dias, if you know anyone who’s good at it get them to help. Good luck practice as much as can. Listen to Spanish & practice where can answer. Duolingo/memorise/you tube find MFL Spanish teachers/BBC memorise. I think there’s a languages group on here. Know all the topics and practice reading a text and answering.
Hi there!
Please don't stress or panic, I know it's easier said then done but honestly you will be fine. It's absolutely not too late.

I have my speaking on the 19th and intend to properly start revising for it tomorrow. I got full marks in my french and Spanish speaking mocks and I'll give you all the tips I can thibk of

If your doing AQA, I'm sure you will be aware of the structure by now but if you haven't already:

1. The general conversation is worth the most amount of marks. It is worth the same amount of marks as the role-play and photocard put together, so this is where you are going to focus your time and energy.

Has your teacher asked you to prepare some questions for it? If so brilliant, your 50% there - let me know your chosen theme! If not, I'd like you to go into your textbook and find the general conversation questions. You'll notice that some of the questions are quite similar in each topic eg. What sector do you want to work in? Vs what job do you want to do? See if you can write answers that could be used to answer several questions.

Once you have your answers the best way to learn them is to speak them - after all you will be speaking in the exam! Read them 10 times, say them 10 times. I like to record myself so I can check pronunciation and incase I've missed out any small words I didn't realise. I'd like you to just practice practice practice in this way for the next 2 days becuase I know you can do really well.

2. On Sunday, do a quick review in the morning of the answers you have learnt. Maybe use a random question selector and see if you can respond on the spot. Then, I would like you to go over forming questions. This is a lot easier in spanish than french so shouldn't take too long (if you have any questions on questions do ask me!) The easiest way is just to say a statement and raise your voice at the end. Then your going to go onto the aqa website practice role-plays, practice photocards, there's loads on there! Or you can go through your camera roll and try to describe what's in the photo.

Then keep reading your answers on the bus to school on Monday, drive your family mad by practicing your answers when you can! I know you can do this and if you stick to this plan you will be ready. Remember I'll be doing all of this over the next few days too! The speaking will be over as soon as they start, they're only 7 minutes.

I hope this is some use to you and has settled any worries you have! I've got a french speaking to prepare for after the spanish one ugh but at least we get them done early

Original post by lola028
hey i was wondering if anyone had any advice/ tips for revision, ive got my spanish speaking exam in a few days and havent started revising yet
(bad i know) and my teacher is very bad, im doing higher and she only teaches foundation content as classes are mixed so does anyone have any tips for spanish? (mainly speaking as thats my worst one)

how do feel motivated to revise, with exams coming up most of my friends have all started but i just cant get into it
Reply 3
Original post by Caotica
Hi there!
Please don't stress or panic, I know it's easier said then done but honestly you will be fine. It's absolutely not too late.

I have my speaking on the 19th and intend to properly start revising for it tomorrow. I got full marks in my french and Spanish speaking mocks and I'll give you all the tips I can thibk of

If your doing AQA, I'm sure you will be aware of the structure by now but if you haven't already:

1. The general conversation is worth the most amount of marks. It is worth the same amount of marks as the role-play and photocard put together, so this is where you are going to focus your time and energy.

Has your teacher asked you to prepare some questions for it? If so brilliant, your 50% there - let me know your chosen theme! If not, I'd like you to go into your textbook and find the general conversation questions. You'll notice that some of the questions are quite similar in each topic eg. What sector do you want to work in? Vs what job do you want to do? See if you can write answers that could be used to answer several questions.

Once you have your answers the best way to learn them is to speak them - after all you will be speaking in the exam! Read them 10 times, say them 10 times. I like to record myself so I can check pronunciation and incase I've missed out any small words I didn't realise. I'd like you to just practice practice practice in this way for the next 2 days becuase I know you can do really well.

2. On Sunday, do a quick review in the morning of the answers you have learnt. Maybe use a random question selector and see if you can respond on the spot. Then, I would like you to go over forming questions. This is a lot easier in spanish than french so shouldn't take too long (if you have any questions on questions do ask me!) The easiest way is just to say a statement and raise your voice at the end. Then your going to go onto the aqa website practice role-plays, practice photocards, there's loads on there! Or you can go through your camera roll and try to describe what's in the photo.

Then keep reading your answers on the bus to school on Monday, drive your family mad by practicing your answers when you can! I know you can do this and if you stick to this plan you will be ready. Remember I'll be doing all of this over the next few days too! The speaking will be over as soon as they start, they're only 7 minutes.

I hope this is some use to you and has settled any worries you have! I've got a french speaking to prepare for after the spanish one ugh but at least we get them done early

ahhh thanks so much this is really useful, good luck with your french and spanish!
thats amazing that you got full marks in the speaking in both, personally the speaking is the hardest part as we've only done one mock on it (whole class did foundation for some reason)
ill 100% use your tips thanks so much. im probably just a bit stressed as spanish is currently my lowest grade (not rly bad but not great either haha)
good luck with yours and thr rest of your exams!
Original post by lola028

In terms of grammar, it’s about reading, understanding then practising. In terms of vocab, memorise and recall use sue cards or online alternatives
Original post by lola028

Heya!
Lots of practice is key to success. For languages, I would recommend coming up with potential questions and writing good answers to them + memorising them :h: Ask your teacher what kind of questions you could be asked, perhaps they could be helpful there. Then write very good answers to them and memorise them for the speaking exam.

I would recommend setting yourself goals for the day and making a revision timetable - helps me with motivation so perhaps it could be helpful for you as well! If it helps, Study Mind has lots of free practice questions you could use.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest