The Student Room Group

Uni Accomodation

I have received an offer for uni. But this is my second choice of uni. I am still waiting to hear back from my first choice. My question is do I apply for accommodation where I have received an offer even if I don't really want to go there? And if I do receive an offer from my first choice uni, will I be able to cancel the accommodation in the second choice uni?
Original post by Crb763
I have received an offer for uni. But this is my second choice of uni. I am still waiting to hear back from my first choice. My question is do I apply for accommodation where I have received an offer even if I don't really want to go there? And if I do receive an offer from my first choice uni, will I be able to cancel the accommodation in the second choice uni?

At the vast majority of universities, you can only apply for accommodation there if you have made them your "firm" choice. You cannot make them your firm choice whilst you have decisions from some universities outstanding. (And it doesn't sound like you'd want to make them your firm choice anyway).
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
At the vast majority of universities, you can only apply for accommodation there if you have made them your "firm" choice. You cannot make them your firm choice whilst you have decisions from some universities outstanding. (And it doesn't sound like you'd want to make them your firm choice anyway).

Thank you so much. So I'm assuming once I receive all of my decisions, I'll have to choose my firm on UCAS?
Original post by Crb763
Thank you so much. So I'm assuming once I receive all of my decisions, I'll have to choose my firm on UCAS?

Well, you won't have to, but as soon as all the decisions are in, you can choose which to firm (and which to insure - you make both decisions at the same time). There is no need to rush, as you have until 8th June, but you do need to have decided by then.

Some universities breach the UCAS best practice and put pressure on students to make their firm/insurance decision sooner rather than later. They do this by using a "first come, first served" approach to accommodation. So check the policy of your target universities, as you may need to balance a need to make your firm/insurance carefully, with the need to secure accommodation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending