The Student Room Group

Can lecturers look at my assignments in progress to guide me?

Hey,

I haven’t asked them yet, but are lecturers allowed to read your assignments and give you feedback on what you’ve done so far?

It would be help me for one particular assignment I am doing at the minute, so that I can ensure I’m covering the right things and not deviating off topic!

I wouldn’t be expecting them to tell me exactly what to write, more just if they could tell me if what I do have in the assignment is suitable or not and if not, the general points I need to cover.

Is this generally allowed?
Original post by Anonymous
Hey,

I haven’t asked them yet, but are lecturers allowed to read your assignments and give you feedback on what you’ve done so far?

It would be help me for one particular assignment I am doing at the minute, so that I can ensure I’m covering the right things and not deviating off topic!

I wouldn’t be expecting them to tell me exactly what to write, more just if they could tell me if what I do have in the assignment is suitable or not and if not, the general points I need to cover.

Is this generally allowed?

Depends how you structure what you ask & show, general syllabus related questions and methods that are covered heavily in a coursework - yes.

Questions directly about your response to a coursework such that you are gaining an unfair advantage over your peers, no.
Generally no, as this is giving anyone who gets it an unfair advantage. However if the tutor offers it to all students on a module, that would be okay. Often tutors will just look at plans and outlines but rarely read entire drafts. The exception to this would be dissertations which are written under supervision.
If it's formally part of the module syllabus that you are able to submit a draft for review before submission then yes, that's fine. If not though then it's probably not permitted and might be considered inappropriate to ask for such detailed, individual help on an assessed piece of work. Usually that's what formative (non-grade affecting) work is for. So the answer is maybe but, if you are asking this question I suspect the former case probably doesn't apply.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending