The Student Room Group

I need teacher?

I feel really lost sometime I really need a teacher to tell me how to do better in psychology course and how to be a good psychology student what are the books I need to read? I need mentor to shape me up my mind and knowledge
Original post by Ammara shah
I feel really lost sometime I really need a teacher to tell me how to do better in psychology course and how to be a good psychology student what are the books I need to read? I need mentor to shape me up my mind and knowledge

Hi there, are you at university? If so, your first port of call would be your personal tutor/academic supervisor. Email them and set up a meeting with them to discuss your concerns and they'll be able to help you and tailor advice specifically for you :smile:
Reply 2

Hey, you may consider reaching out for a short chat on this

Hi @Ammara shah ,

I agree with @Scotland Yard , your first port of call would be an advisor/personal tutor.

If you do not have one but do have lectures, usually they hang around for a bit to answer questions people might have. This is a good opportunity to ask for a chat. Alternatively, most lecturers will have office hours or drop in sessions where students are welcome to come see them and chat to them. This is the perfect opportunity to ask them about resources that you can utilise to help with your studies.

When receiving coursework back from lecturers, pay attention to the feedback and try to use this feedback in the next assignment. You can also find out who marked your assignment to ask them more about the feedback to help improve further or if you are unsure of what some of the feedback means.

I hope this helps and good luck with the rest of your course.

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep

Others have said that first port of call should be your tutor, normally I would agree, but knowing what a sh*t show university teaching is and how little so many lecturers/tutors care in reality - so I wont be advising this (im not saying its wrong by the way)

If you want to up your game - google on what books to read and what helps are post grad level, look at getting a tutor online to help this (if you can afford it - again google for the sites offering tutoring). The rest is up to you though, you need the drive to sit and invest in studying, researching, making notes, going over the notes.

Best of luck.
Original post by NKNK12
Others have said that first port of call should be your tutor, normally I would agree, but knowing what a sh*t show university teaching is and how little so many lecturers/tutors care in reality - so I wont be advising this (im not saying its wrong by the way)

If you want to up your game - google on what books to read and what helps are post grad level, look at getting a tutor online to help this (if you can afford it - again google for the sites offering tutoring). The rest is up to you though, you need the drive to sit and invest in studying, researching, making notes, going over the notes.

Best of luck.

This is true unfortunately that some may not have enough time in their day to help students outside of the time they lecture. With regard to how much they care/feel like they care, I would say it is very dependant on the lecturer. You can approach them during breaks in the lectures too.

This is great advice from @NKNK12 about what you can do to be proactive on your course. I would like to add to this advice by saying something else you can do on your own to help you better understand the course content which is to read the suggested readings and all the 'extra' readings. Within these readings, usually other texts are mentioned and if not they usually provide a reference list or further reading section (if it is a textbook) which you can use to explore new texts yourself. Usually the readings are available to you at the start of the module so do look out for it and ask somebody if you cannot find it.

I hope this helps.

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
I think @NKNK12 ’s response and UofKent rep’s second response is more pragmatic and practical advice.

Teaching takes a lot of time in terms of preparation and delivery, and the usual payoff is primarily an inner sense of content that you’re helping the next gen of young minds. What helps most with career progression and promotion in universities is doing research, publishing papers and constantly getting grants. The way it comes across is that teaching has rather minimal payoff in securing promotions.

Some professors do like to teach and I think they enjoy it most when the students are well read, prepared, contribute to the discussion, are active and ask (thoughtful) questions.

In terms of whom to approach, it’s up to you to gage whom of the teachers like more to spend time interacting with and mentoring students. Perhaps a good start would be a lecturer with teaching focus or a teaching fellow because they are especially hired to spend more time teaching than the rest of the academic staff.

As for meeting with the personal advisor, that depends on the person. The person I got when I did my psychology degree, some staff and fellow students (who didn’t have this person) thought I got lucky to be allocated him. In real life it was actually quite the opposite (and not only for me) and I ended up feeling cheated of good quality student experience.

But like the answers above highlighted, there’s no shortcut to seating for long periods on end with the given reading material and researching stuff on your own.

Hi! I would advise to firstly look into the academic support available at your university which may include: study skills sessions, academic tutors/advisors, peer mentors, etc.
If that doesn't work for you, there are a lot of web pages and videos on how people have done well in psychology! These can be useful, although it's always good to go into these things with a critical eye as things that work for one person may not work for you.
-Kat (2nd year psychology undergraduate at Lancaster University)

Quick Reply

Latest