The Student Room Group
Students relax on campus, Teesside University
Teesside University
Middlesbrough
Visit website

Teesside Radiography

Hi, I am hoping to hear from someone who is currently doing the course and can give me an idea of what an average week looks like.Eg start/finish times of classes, how the placement fits in etc. I have not been to an open day and yet to find an answer to my questions. As an older student with children I am keen to get as much real life information as possible. I have tried emailing Teesside University too, but my replies are to attend an open day, but the next one is not for two months. (trying to organise life I would appreciate quicker answers!!)Thank you very much.
Hi,

To start I only study at Teesside Uni. I study a different course and I also don't have children but I do live with my 3-year-old niece who came along just before my second year. However, despite this when I saw your post I had some thoughts. I hope this helps in making you feel a little more organised and what to expect.

I am assuming you're preparing for your first year, I think organisation and tracking progress is key. I found the best way to this is to print the module overview out and highlight when I have attended and have completed my notes on each lecture/seminar/lab session. I also like to make a note of how well I feel I understood the session and come back to less understood material more frequently. To do notes I always think I will need to teach myself this in a few weeks so how will my notes do this.

Input assignment deadline in your google calendar and create reminders at the beginning. Usually, details of assignments for us are in handbooks so you can start them early and I don't think will be any different for other courses (just setting up the document, bullet point list of what needs to be done) and then generate some ideas of the progress you want to make each week. I would do this in my first week but sometimes information at the beginning can come in drip and drabs.

Some may say this is pessimistic but the earlier you start the longer you have to be stuck and figure things out. Small chunks add up which I think could be the case if you have children. I wish I could go back and give me this advice. I suppose it depends on how old your children are but have your own study space (spare bedroom, library, desk under the stairs) from experience it very difficult to study around young kids.

The super-quick study skills books by sage publishing are brilliant (find your source especially) and not expensive and the podcast "Chloe made me study" on Spotify is also great and she is also a non-traditional student.

Good luck with your studies,

BiomedStudent3
(edited 1 year ago)
Students relax on campus, Teesside University
Teesside University
Middlesbrough
Visit website
Original post by Aydobjay
Hi, I am hoping to hear from someone who is currently doing the course and can give me an idea of what an average week looks like.Eg start/finish times of classes, how the placement fits in etc. I have not been to an open day and yet to find an answer to my questions. As an older student with children I am keen to get as much real life information as possible. I have tried emailing Teesside University too, but my replies are to attend an open day, but the next one is not for two months. (trying to organise life I would appreciate quicker answers!!)Thank you very much.

Hi @Aydobjay

If you would like to email our timetabling team they will be able to provide you with an example timetable from last year. The email address is [email protected].

We have open days running in January, February, March, June, September, October and November as well as a range of discovery days that run monthly. Our next health discovery day for radiography is taking place on 18 May and is a great opportunity to speak to academic staff about the structure of the course, placements, time in the university etc. You can book a place here https://www.tees.ac.uk/sections/whats_on/events_details.cfm?event_id=13082

I hope this information helps :smile:
Kate
(edited 2 years ago)
Are you looking to do the undergrad or the MSc? I am in my first year of the MSc diagnostic radiography, if you have questions in regards to the MSc.
Original post by Stephen.d.h
Are you looking to do the undergrad or the MSc? I am in my first year of the MSc diagnostic radiography, if you have questions in regards to the MSc.

Hello I am considering the MSc. Would like to know what the timetable Is like if you don’t mind.
Original post by straw-berry
Hello I am considering the MSc. Would like to know what the timetable Is like if you don’t mind.

Hi @straw-berry

If you would like to email our timetabling team they will be able to provide you with an example timetable from last year. The email address is [email protected].

We have our next open day on the 21st of January and is a great opportunity to speak to academic staff about the structure of the course, placements, time in the university etc. You can book a place here https://www.tees.ac.uk/opendays/

I hope this information helps

Tom
Hello,

I have just finished my second placement. For the first few semesters, we had three days of lectures a week (3h online on Monday, ~3h on Tuesday and a full day on Friday). Then two back to back 12 week placements (June - January) with some time off between them. I am returning to uni this month and again another 3-day week for lectures: 2h lecture on Monday, 2 1/2h lecture on Tuesday and a 3h online lecture on Thursday.

However, I wouldn't recommend the MSc course I would look elsewhere if possible.

Original post by straw-berry
Reply 7
Hi Stephen!
Could you explain why you wouldn't recommend MSc course?
So few issues it might change when you start, and to give them benefit of the doubt they were pretty short-staffed. We were also in the transition year between COVID and normal practice, so things were clunky at times. I don’t say this to dissuade you, just so that you are aware.

Firstly, the course isn’t particularly worth the £9,250, as you are in uni max 2 3 days a week, and the amount of active teaching was pretty poor often using pre-recorded lectures from a few years ago. With two of the first years' modules being pretty much irrelevant to radiography. The active teaching that took place wasn’t grand mainly as it was very rushed with heavy course content e.g., anatomy, and sometimes involved just having slides read verbatim at you.

Saying all this you will spend more time on placement then at uni, and I have really enjoyed the placement aspect. If you want any more info feel free to message me.
Reply 9
Original post by Stephen.d.h
So few issues it might change when you start, and to give them benefit of the doubt they were pretty short-staffed. We were also in the transition year between COVID and normal practice, so things were clunky at times. I don’t say this to dissuade you, just so that you are aware.

Firstly, the course isn’t particularly worth the £9,250, as you are in uni max 2 3 days a week, and the amount of active teaching was pretty poor often using pre-recorded lectures from a few years ago. With two of the first years' modules being pretty much irrelevant to radiography. The active teaching that took place wasn’t grand mainly as it was very rushed with heavy course content e.g., anatomy, and sometimes involved just having slides read verbatim at you.

Saying all this you will spend more time on placement then at uni, and I have really enjoyed the placement aspect. If you want any more info feel free to message me.

Hi Stephen! Thank you for your answer. I've just seen my schedule and it looks like you said. 2-3 days a week.

You mentioned that active teaching of anatomy wasn't great. This is not very good news as the subject ends with an exam. Is it difficult to pass it? Did a lot of people have problems with it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending