The Student Room Group

Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Art A-Levels

Deciding on whether I should do Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Art for A Levels but im not sure if its a good combination to have as i want to do something along the lines of the biomedical sciences at uni but i want to also have art as it stands out and i think i'll get an A in it. any advice?
Original post by VenalLid
Deciding on whether I should do Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Art for A Levels but im not sure if its a good combination to have as i want to do something along the lines of the biomedical sciences at uni but i want to also have art as it stands out and i think i'll get an A in it. any advice?

Hi,
Most universities will expect you to take only 3 A levels and with the amount of work that these subject all take it may be harder for you to achieve good grades for all of these subjects. From my time in sixth form, the people who took art had spent a lot of extra time doing it which can take away from your revision ect in the the other subjects. Take a look at university entry grades to see if you do need chemistry, maths and biology if you do want to take art as the university of kent require BBC with one of those subjects being biology https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/263/biomedical-science
Overall I think it is up to you on your personal ability and what you can handle as the work load will be very big
Hope this helps!
-Malek
University of Kent Rep
Reply 2
Original post by University of Kent Reps
Hi,
Most universities will expect you to take only 3 A levels and with the amount of work that these subject all take it may be harder for you to achieve good grades for all of these subjects. From my time in sixth form, the people who took art had spent a lot of extra time doing it which can take away from your revision ect in the the other subjects. Take a look at university entry grades to see if you do need chemistry, maths and biology if you do want to take art as the university of kent require BBC with one of those subjects being biology https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/263/biomedical-science
Overall I think it is up to you on your personal ability and what you can handle as the work load will be very big
Hope this helps!
-Malek
University of Kent Rep

ah ok. thanks for the heads up and i really think i should be aiming for chemistry and biology as those are a bit important alongside the two in my view as it will make it easier for me in terms of studying biomedical.

Heya!
Unis just need 3 alvls :h: You can use uniguide alvl explorer to see what you can do with your combinations! I would recommend looking up some courses and exploring their entry requirements to see what you would need. My friends took alvl art and it can be very time-consuming so stick with 3 alvls if possible!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study mind
Hello,

I am a third year Biomedical Science student myself and took Law, English Literature and Biology at A-level. I wouldn't worry about what A-levels you choose, because universities will look at the subjects required for the specific course. For Biomedical Science, universities often look at Biology and/or Chemistry, so as long as you have those, or at least one, Biomedical Science is definitely open to you.
At Lincoln, although basic Biology knowledge is required, a lot of people take years out of study or have other commitments which mean their knowledge isn't fresh or they aren't geared up on everything needed for the course. Therefore, the department offers resources on everything you need to know for the course. For example, if for one module you need some chemistry knowledge and in my case didn't do Chemistry A-level, the department will give resources on what you need to know to excel in that module.

I hope this has helped you out!
Reply 5
Original post by UniOfLincolnStudent
Hello,

I am a third year Biomedical Science student myself and took Law, English Literature and Biology at A-level. I wouldn't worry about what A-levels you choose, because universities will look at the subjects required for the specific course. For Biomedical Science, universities often look at Biology and/or Chemistry, so as long as you have those, or at least one, Biomedical Science is definitely open to you.
At Lincoln, although basic Biology knowledge is required, a lot of people take years out of study or have other commitments which mean their knowledge isn't fresh or they aren't geared up on everything needed for the course. Therefore, the department offers resources on everything you need to know for the course. For example, if for one module you need some chemistry knowledge and in my case didn't do Chemistry A-level, the department will give resources on what you need to know to excel in that module.

I hope this has helped you out!

ah ok. thank you for reaching out to me and thats helped me a lot in terms of what i want to do next year.
but i want to also have art as it stands out

Unis specify the subjects they require and any others they prefer.
They are not interested in random 4th subjects or unusual 'stand-outs' - this sort of stuff doesnt make you look 'special' and will not mean you are any more likely to get an offer. Take Art to AS level and then drop it to focus on the 3 subjects that matter would be a better strategy.

Subjects to look at beyond just 'Biomed' :
Cellular and Molecular Medicine - includes options for Virology, Cancer Biology, Microbiology etc - https://www.bristol.ac.uk/cellmolmed/study/undergraduate/
Natural Sciences - multi-disciplinary / inter-disciplinary science program - usually different subject combinations available at each Uni - one example https://www.york.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/bsc-mathematical-bioscience/
Pharmacology - https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-2024/pharmacology/
Biotechnology - https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/degrees/index.php?action=view&code=J700

Quick Reply

Latest