The Student Room Group

Freshers annoyance

Why are there so many group chats for so called "fresher's events" for specific unis that involve reps trying to get a pittance commission trying to sell these stupid tickets/wrist bands. Is there any way of connecting with students prior to the start of uni without these annoying group chats.

I'm assuming these are not far off from being a scam? Or a data collection exercise?
Original post by nopey123
Why are there so many group chats for so called "fresher's events" for specific unis that involve reps trying to get a pittance commission trying to sell these stupid tickets/wrist bands. Is there any way of connecting with students prior to the start of uni without these annoying group chats.

I'm assuming these are not far off from being a scam? Or a data collection exercise?

You could make your own group chat or join group chats for your chosen uni such as offer holder 2023, firm choice x uni etc . Doesn’t have to just be for freshers. Could even be for accommodation for people in your block. Can be on the, Facebook, WhatsApp etc
Hope it helps
Original post by nopey123

Hey there @nopey123 !
These groups are usually set up by the events companies with a couple of rep's inside. The reps get paid for every bit of promotion they do so it'll be a set fee for a promotional message in the group-chat (it won't be a lot because it's just a message). They'll then get commission from the events company for every person who buys a ticket through their link in the chat. That's probably why it feels so pushy because they're trying to make a wage from it. When I started university, I joined all the ones made by the events companies and once I got chatting to the people in it, we made a different one on snapchat without any reps in it. Sometimes it does get tedious with the constant messages but they are just trying to make a wage.

They're not so much a scam it's just that they earn more money from each person who engages with their link so if they set up these group-chats for students then they can reach more people. I imagine every events company is different and I don't work for one myself but have friends who do and they say that's how they usually get paid.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending