The Student Room Group

First car

What is the best first car? Cheap insurance. Cheap to buy. NO finance.
I'm thinking about a Fiat 500. Any opinions on this?
Thank you!!
Insurance won’t be cheap regardless of car your first year, a lot of your price is your ability to damage other people’s cars...

Id just go ask friends, family, Facebook & auto trader and see if there is any cars very cheap nearby (very high mileage 100,000+) with 6+ months mot that you can make work.
Original post by mnot
Insurance won’t be cheap regardless of car your first year, a lot of your price is your ability to damage other people’s cars...

Id just go ask friends, family, Facebook & auto trader and see if there is any cars very cheap nearby (very high mileage 100,000+) with 6+ months mot that you can make work.

Isn't low mileage better?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by amandaholten
Thank you

Bugatti
Thank you!!

id go for a cheap second hand lamborghini gallardo if i were you, cheap to run, cheap to insure and very reliable
If for university, where do you intend to park it?
A car can be a liability at uni as it costs a fortune to run.
Reply 6

It is, but you should also realise that lower mileage cars cost more and their shelf life with a new driver isn’t necessarily longer. Get something not too expensive but well looked after ( my daughter got our elderly neighbours car. Ten years old but hardly any mileage and clean as a whistle with complete service history) Don’t go for the most fashionable models as they are car thief targets and expensive to insure. Buy something that will do the job , that will keep you safe in most circumstances but over which you won’t cry if you back into a gate post, wheely bin or equivalent . Save your money to get the nicest second car you can afford. First cars are for really learning to drive.

Yes, but high mileage will be far cheaper. If your looking to save money you’ll probably find it easier dragging around a car as cheap as they come. It may well have a few bits & bobs need sorting at mot but will likely still be far cheaper then any car insurance category saving.
Thank you!!

Fiat 500's are deffo worth a look at.
Id go for something thats not too expensive to buy as your first car. Quite a few people have the odd scrape in their first year or 2 after passing their test so if you didnt spend as much on it then it wont matter as much.
Cars to consder are:
* Hyundai i10
* Hyundai i20
* Hyundai getz
* Kia picanto
* Nissan micra

It can be, but high mileage cars with a good service history will be just as fine if not better than some low-mileage cars. A car's longevity largely depends on how well it was looked after

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending