The Student Room Group

Will I have a good time at uni ???

Basically not allowed to drink at uni. Going uni this year BTW in London.

Im scared I wont have the best experience.

OFC I wont but wanna get the max out of it in line with my situation.

My parents wont allow me due to religious reason. But I think that is my personal business if I want to or not so not rly a relgious reason, parent reasons I believe.

I will try but cant risk it though. I will go to important events but cant do it regulary, and kinda got a curfew of 1AM.

Also I wanna build a long-term relationship at uni with someone who shares the same similarity as me.

But the thing is that Im not tryna be picky but I actually have a type. As a person from Afghanistan I like European/English girls. There's also anothing thing is that I dont have a lot of time left. My parents will plan on me getting married at 25. Right now I am 18 and tbh that's quite close to find a long term partner.

Long story short is this possible. Will things work out for me. OFC I will have to try a lot, but is there a point.

Maybe not in my first year at uni but maybe 2nd and meet someone from 1st

Scroll to see replies

You can definitely have fun without drinking. Join societies, go to events, make friends and hang out with them. There's plenty of fun stuff to do in London that don't include drinking.

If you do want to drink, it's your choice though. As long as you're not being peer pressured into it and you do it safely there's nothing wrong with it aside from religious reasons. If you personally disagree with those religious reasons and are living away from home then go for it and drink. Your parents can't control you or give you a curfew if you're not living with them. (If you are living with them then that's a bit tricky and it's probably not the best idea to go clubbing and break curfew, but you can still have a drink at the pub with friends if you feel like it for example.)

Also, in terms of finding a partner... I've got nothing lol. I've never been in a relationship. But make sure that it's what you want and not your parents pressuring you into it. It's ok if you don't get married by 25!! You'll still be really young and have plenty of time to find the right person for you. It's better to not rush into an unhappy marriage than rush and end up marrying someone who doesn't make you happy. I will say that if you're dating for marriage it's probably a good idea to bring up that you're looking for a serious relationship near the beginning so you don't waste your time with people who are only looking for fun y'know?
I don't drink (relief for parent I think) I don't really feel like I've missed out as a result of not drinking.

I probably have more respect for people who aren't getting drunk as heck every week if anything honestly.
Original post by Anonymous

My parents wont allow me due to religious reason. But I think that is my personal business if I want to or not so not rly a relgious reason, parent reasons I believe.

I will try but cant risk it though. I will go to important events but cant do it regulary, and kinda got a curfew of 1AM.

Also I wanna build a long-term relationship at uni with someone who shares the same similarity as me.

But the thing is that Im not tryna be picky but I actually have a type. As a person from Afghanistan I like European/English girls. There's also anothing thing is that I dont have a lot of time left. My parents will plan on me getting married at 25. Right now I am 18 and tbh that's quite close to find a long term partner.

Long story short is this possible. Will things work out for me. OFC I will have to try a lot, but is there a point.

you will have a good but bland time at uni, not the end of the world.
Original post by A Rolling Stone
you will have a good but bland time at uni, not the end of the world.

I mean I can move out but not sure if it will be a guarantee.

If I move out I will need to do a foundation year so wasting 9K

If I stay in London I wont need to do foundation but I can do international placement that can literally give me a hella experience but Im scared when I go back to uni I will have to start things all over again in terms of making friends as those ones have already graduated.

whats your opinion in terms of having a partner at uni
Original post by Talkative Toad
I don't drink (relief for parent I think) I don't really feel like I've missed out as a result of not drinking.

I probably have more respect for people who aren't getting drunk as heck every week if anything honestly.

Fair enough.

Like I can from time to time but cant risk it as it will be pretty obvious if I do drink.

I can do it maybe 1 of the freshers and maybe at the rly important events other than that cant do it regulary.

Whats ur opinion on having a partner. Possible ???
Original post by kaorimiyazono
You can definitely have fun without drinking. Join societies, go to events, make friends and hang out with them. There's plenty of fun stuff to do in London that don't include drinking.

If you do want to drink, it's your choice though. As long as you're not being peer pressured into it and you do it safely there's nothing wrong with it aside from religious reasons. If you personally disagree with those religious reasons and are living away from home then go for it and drink. Your parents can't control you or give you a curfew if you're not living with them. (If you are living with them then that's a bit tricky and it's probably not the best idea to go clubbing and break curfew, but you can still have a drink at the pub with friends if you feel like it for example.)

Also, in terms of finding a partner... I've got nothing lol. I've never been in a relationship. But make sure that it's what you want and not your parents pressuring you into it. It's ok if you don't get married by 25!! You'll still be really young and have plenty of time to find the right person for you. It's better to not rush into an unhappy marriage than rush and end up marrying someone who doesn't make you happy. I will say that if you're dating for marriage it's probably a good idea to bring up that you're looking for a serious relationship near the beginning so you don't waste your time with people who are only looking for fun y'know?

I mean if I am not ready to get married my parents cant force me. One of my cousin is 30 and he says he isnt ready so Im pretty that I can control that for sure.

But yh do you think its possible.

OFC being gf and bf for a few years not just going deep to it.

But Im also planning on having a glow up by the time I go uni so hopefully it will increase my chances.
I didn’t drink all the way through uni and I had a great time. Drinking culture at uni really isn’t what people think it is anymore. We’re a lot more of an accepting generation nowadays so really if you say I don’t drink people are very cool with it and usually don’t even ask why you don’t. I also formed really great friendships and did loads of cool things. I also met my partner at uni and we’ve been together for a while now so it’s possible but my biggest advice to you is don’t force anything. Don’t be constantly thinking “is this the person who is going to be my long term partner?” Just chill and enjoy things with people and see how they go. I wasn’t looking for a partner when starting uni, it just naturally happened as we were really great friends and then suddenly, just felt like we couldn’t be without each other. So just relax and enjoy the ride!
I didn’t drink all the way through uni and I had a great time. Drinking culture at uni really isn’t what people think it is anymore. We’re a lot more of an accepting generation nowadays so really if you say I don’t drink people are very cool with it and usually don’t even ask why you don’t. I also formed really great friendships and did loads of cool things. I also met my partner at uni and we’ve been together for a while now so it’s possible but my biggest advice to you is don’t force anything. Don’t be constantly thinking “is this the person who is going to be my long term partner?” Just chill and enjoy things with people and see how they go. I wasn’t looking for a partner when starting uni, it just naturally happened as we were really great friends and then suddenly, just felt like we couldn’t be without each other. So just relax and enjoy the ride!

Hopefully I will.

I know I have to be interacting with people.

Also if u dont mind me asking what ethnicity is your partner.

As thats what worries me, if I wanted someone who I know they are background E.G. Islam then ofc most wont drink.
I mean if I am not ready to get married my parents cant force me. One of my cousin is 30 and he says he isnt ready so Im pretty that I can control that for sure.

But yh do you think its possible.

OFC being gf and bf for a few years not just going deep to it.

But Im also planning on having a glow up by the time I go uni so hopefully it will increase my chances.

Yeah good. Definitely don't get pressured into getting married.

Do I think it's possible to find your future spouse at uni? Probably yeah? But, like I said, I've never been in a relationship so I can't really say from a first person's perspective.

Honestly, having a glow up, although helpful for getting first dates, isn't really so important when it comes to dating for marriage so I wouldn't rely on it. Your personality and compatibility (in terms of goals, values, kids/no kids, dealbreakers (for example, I personally don't want to date someone with opposing political opinions as me), expectations as to how chores are split and who does what in the house, interests etc. are all things that matter more in the long-term.

But it's important to also take things slowly and let things happen naturally rather than trying to force a relationship. From what I've seen, it's common to find your person when you least expect it.
(edited 1 year ago)
Yeah good. Definitely don't get pressured into getting married.

Do I think it's possible to find your future spouse at uni? Probably yeah? But, like I said, I've never been in a relationship so I can't really say from a first person's perspective.

Honestly, having a glow up, although helpful for getting first dates, isn't really so important when it comes to dating for marriage so I wouldn't rely on it. Your personality and compatibility (in terms of goals, values, kids/no kids, dealbreakers (for example, I personally don't want to date someone with opposing political opinions as me), expectations as to how chores are split and who does what in the house, interests etc. are all things that matter more in the long-term.

But it's important to also take things slowly and let things happen naturally rather than trying to force a relationship. From what I've seen, it's common to find your person when you least expect it.

I hope so.

How comes u haven't been in a relationship, or is it cos u haven't found the one it for you.

Well I do want to have kids but not that early in life. I think from 30 onward is the right age for it.
I do believe that everything should be split evenly.

Yh I am definitely gonna keep myself open interacting with everyone.

U never know what they will change when they fall in love.
Fair enough.

Like I can from time to time but cant risk it as it will be pretty obvious if I do drink.

I can do it maybe 1 of the freshers and maybe at the rly important events other than that cant do it regulary.

Whats ur opinion on having a partner. Possible ???

Never had a partner before but I think that if you're an adult you should be the one to decide whether you'd like to have a partner, drink etc or not 🤷🏾*♀️
Never had a partner before but I think that if you're an adult you should be the one to decide whether you'd like to have a partner, drink etc or not 🤷🏾*♀️

Fair enough.

Whats ur opinion on my post.
Fair enough.

Whats ur opinion on my post.

What I said in post #2 and #12
What I said in post #2 and #12

What about partner section part.
What about partner section part.

In post #12. I don't think that parents should stop you from having a partner or force you to get a partner if you're an adult, let alone make you get married.
Nothing good comes from drinking.

I was in a similar position. I did all the things i wasn't supposed to do and thought i was having a great time living my life. But theres comes a point of deep regret. When you look back at what you did when you become more mature and think how stupid it all was.
Long story short. Do what you want but i wish i listened to my parents. ✌️

Nothing good comes from drinking.

I was in a similar position. I did all the things i wasn't supposed to do and thought i was having a great time living my life. But theres comes a point of deep regret. When you look back at what you did when you become more mature and think how stupid it all was.
Long story short. Do what you want but i wish i listened to my parents. ✌️

I feel like I will regret it but also cos I was shy between the ages of 15-17 so I basically didnt had a social life. Now I am desperate for one.

I feel like drinking will optimise my experience but then I will know I will regret it.
I hope so.

How comes u haven't been in a relationship, or is it cos u haven't found the one it for you.

Well I do want to have kids but not that early in life. I think from 30 onward is the right age for it.
I do believe that everything should be split evenly.

Yh I am definitely gonna keep myself open interacting with everyone.

U never know what they will change when they fall in love.

I just don't feel the need to go actively looking for a relationship. If it happens then I won't stop it but it's harder to get into a relationship when you're not at least trying to meet new people and go on dates. I need to focus on myself and my mental health rn too tbh.

But yeah keep an open mind, be yourself, and meet new people - that's your best bet.
I just don't feel the need to go actively looking for a relationship. If it happens then I won't stop it but it's harder to get into a relationship when you're not at least trying to meet new people and go on dates. I need to focus on myself and my mental health rn too tbh.

But yeah keep an open mind, be yourself, and meet new people - that's your best bet.

I hope.

Cos I feel like thats best way for me personally.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending