The Student Room Group

My mother got upset with my travelling - 34 year old

Okay, I’m a 34-year-old autistic man, and I went travelling to Eastern Europe by myself. My mother is quite paranoid as she always thinks that the worst is going to happen without any real justification and I didn’t want to worry her as she is almost 70. She can be quite controlling due to the paranoia. She’s now not speaking to me because I told my friends instead of her and she said what would happen if you died?” She has blocked my number is not speaking to me anymore what should I do? Should I just ignore it?

I went to Germany lat year and told her afterwards and she was not happy, but she said she wouldn’t stop me from going, she just wanted to know
Yep.
Original post by StriderHort
Yep.

What does she sound like to you
Original post by Anonymous
What does she sound like to you

Manipulative
Original post by StriderHort
Manipulative

In what way
In what way

She is manipulating you into not travelling by making it about her/guilt (basically)
Okay, I’m a 34-year-old autistic man, and I went travelling to Eastern Europe by myself. My mother is quite paranoid as she always thinks that the worst is going to happen without any real justification and I didn’t want to worry her as she is almost 70. She can be quite controlling due to the paranoia. She’s now not speaking to me because I told my friends instead of her and she said what would happen if you died?” She has blocked my number is not speaking to me anymore what should I do? Should I just ignore it?

I went to Germany lat year and told her afterwards and she was not happy, but she said she wouldn’t stop me from going, she just wanted to know

To me it sounds like she is very concerned about you and cares about you. Continuously reassure your mother and call her frequently when you are travelling as well as send pictures to her/ video calls with her so she feels comforted. What honestly angers me is that within this forum peoples advice is useless and they jump to conclusion as if peoples own family are their biggest enemy, saying things such as "she is trying to control your life, manipulating you, your better off without her".

Dont take extreme measures against your family even if they are in the wrong, be patient with them especially when theyre at old age and show them mercy and compassion and forgive them as they forgave you when you were a child. I hope this helps.
What honestly angers me is that within this forum peoples advice is useless and they jump to conclusion as if peoples own family are their biggest enemy, saying things such as "she is trying to control your life, manipulating you, your better off without her".

My reply of manipulation was accurate, I did not seek to explain motives or actions so please don't act like I did.

(If you just want to disagree with what I said, have the stones to say it directly, you're hiding behind anon as it is yea?)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending