The Student Room Group

I’ve got the ick .. but we have travel plans!

Hey guys,

I’m 23 years old and I’ve been with my boyfriend for 4 years. it’s been relatively smooth sailing, and I love him a lot, but recently I’ve realised we’re too different to stay together long term. He’s a lovely boy and would make someone else very happy, just not me sadly.
However, we have travel plans. We plan to travel SE Asia for 6 months at the start of next year and I really had to convince him to postpone starting his new job to do this (essentially, he’s doing it after being convinced by me). But now I want to break up with him… flights are already booked !!
I feel awful and don’t know what to do. I also don’t want to travel on my own (safety) and all my friends have full time jobs they can’t leave. I feel like this is making me stay in a relationship I’m not happy in just because of logistics
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hey guys,

I’m 23 years old and I’ve been with my boyfriend for 4 years. it’s been relatively smooth sailing, and I love him a lot, but recently I’ve realised we’re too different to stay together long term. He’s a lovely boy and would make someone else very happy, just not me sadly.
However, we have travel plans. We plan to travel SE Asia for 6 months at the start of next year and I really had to convince him to postpone starting his new job to do this (essentially, he’s doing it after being convinced by me). But now I want to break up with him… flights are already booked !!
I feel awful and don’t know what to do. I also don’t want to travel on my own (safety) and all my friends have full time jobs they can’t leave. I feel like this is making me stay in a relationship I’m not happy in just because of logistics

Can you cancel? Some companies let you get a partial refund (full refunds are usually only available if the company cancels on you). Don't string him on, it's unfair. He will be upset but you need to end it. It's better to do it now rather than you getting into a big fight halfway through your holiday and being stuck together or him leaving early (as from what you said he isn't as into it as you). If you can't cancel and don't have anyone to go with you then go by yourself. If the areas you are visiting aren't dangerous then you will be okay as long as you use common sense and respect the locals. Depending on what you booked you could switch to a group company, it will cost more but you will have others including a group leader so you will feel safer than being completely alone and have a structured plan.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending