The Student Room Group

Which uni for cyber security?

Hey everyone
I've been offered a place to study MSc cyber security at Nottingham Trent and University of South Wales and finding it hard to choose. My undergraduate degree was a social science/humanities degree and so I don't really have a technical background. NTU offers a conversion course in cyber but when I enquired about it they said there's no introductory module, we'd just go straight into computer forensics and security management but that having a bit of knowledge in computing would be sufficient to start the course.Also their ranking is pretty good.
From what I've seen on the website USW has a good rep for cyber security, being awarded cyber university of the year for 4 years. They're also NSCS accredited, which NTU is not. Their facilities are designed to imitate a workplace which I find pretty cool. Plus I live close to the uni which makes it more convenient. However, it doesn't seem like they rank high compared to other unis.
Really appreciate any advice on this
Hey @ginasil17, congratulations on your offer from NTU! It's definitely tough choosing between two universities. Our advice would be to look at the modules for both options, facilities, reputation and the overall postgraduate student experience and think about whether this aligns with what you're looking for.

At NTU you'll be joining a great uni - our MSc Cyber Security course has a 100% student satisfaction rating (PTES 2022). NTU also recently came top in the Postgraduate category in the Whatuni Student Choice Awards and we're the Times & Sunday Times Modern University of the Year 2023. The course is taught by highly experienced staff that are involved in cutting-edge research - ensuring their teaching is at the forefront of new technology. It's a great fast-track conversion course for those looking to work in the field. You can read some of our student stories on our website to hear about their experience and find out what they went on to do after graduating.

Good luck with everything and we hope to see you at NTU soon!

Sammie - NTU Rep
Original post by ginasil17
Hey everyone
I've been offered a place to study MSc cyber security at Nottingham Trent and University of South Wales and finding it hard to choose. My undergraduate degree was a social science/humanities degree and so I don't really have a technical background. NTU offers a conversion course in cyber but when I enquired about it they said there's no introductory module, we'd just go straight into computer forensics and security management but that having a bit of knowledge in computing would be sufficient to start the course.Also their ranking is pretty good.
From what I've seen on the website USW has a good rep for cyber security, being awarded cyber university of the year for 4 years. They're also NSCS accredited, which NTU is not. Their facilities are designed to imitate a workplace which I find pretty cool. Plus I live close to the uni which makes it more convenient. However, it doesn't seem like they rank high compared to other unis.
Really appreciate any advice on this

Hey @ginasil17 just a wee point I'd like to make to hopefully boost your confidence - NTU wouldn't have made you the offer of study if you weren't capable :smile: It might feel a bit scary not having an introduction module but if they've looked at your qualifications and made the offer then they must have seen something on your application that meant you're suited to the course. Maybe you could see if there's any free online courses in cyber or computer science/security you could do to help ease you in?

Don't focus too much about rankings overall but it sounds like both of them are well reputed in the field in different ways. Go for the university which feels like the best fit for you. Have you had a chance to visit them yet? Which campus do you prefer?

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending