The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

should i withdraw to book accommodation (Nottingham)

I currently have an offer from university of Nottingham they would be my firm choice and have opened up there booking process for accommodation but i am unable to book accommodation as i am still waiting on York law to respond. if they gave me an offer they would be an insurance choice, but would most likely give the same offer of AAA so if i get AAA i wont accept them.
So i was wondering how quickly Nottingham on campus accommodation runs out and whether or not it would be worthwhile to withdraw my application to York and miss out on a potential fallback option as i have no idea when they will give out there offers and don't want to have to potentially wait a month.( worst case i miss AAA and get AAB i thought it would be good to potentially have them so i could try and see if i could get a place anyway even without the grade requirements).

so should i just withdraw?
Original post by JAD1234
I currently have an offer from university of Nottingham they would be my firm choice and have opened up there booking process for accommodation but i am unable to book accommodation as i am still waiting on York law to respond. if they gave me an offer they would be an insurance choice, but would most likely give the same offer of AAA so if i get AAA i wont accept them.
So i was wondering how quickly Nottingham on campus accommodation runs out and whether or not it would be worthwhile to withdraw my application to York and miss out on a potential fallback option as i have no idea when they will give out there offers and don't want to have to potentially wait a month.( worst case i miss AAA and get AAB i thought it would be good to potentially have them so i could try and see if i could get a place anyway even without the grade requirements).

Hi there :hello:

I'm just looking for some more info: do you want to go to Nottingham for definite, if you meet your offer? Or are you concerned you might want to go to York instead even if the offer is the same?
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Saracen's Fez
Hi there :hello:

I'm just looking for some more info: do you want to go to Nottingham for definite, if you meet your offer? Or are you concerned you might want to go to York instead even if the offer is the same?

i would want to go to Nottingham for definite
Original post by JAD1234

If you definitely do not want to go to York then I would withdraw from that university only not the whole application
Original post by JAD1234

I don't think there's much point withdrawing from York you have your Nottingham offer and you can firm that. If you get a York offer then you can ignore it, or select it as an insurance.

If the York offer is no lower than the Notts one, then there's not much point selecting it as an insurance offer ideally you'd select an offer that is at least one grade lower, if you have one, at a university you would still be happy to attend.
Original post by Saracen's Fez
I don't think there's much point withdrawing from York you have your Nottingham offer and you can firm that. If you get a York offer then you can ignore it, or select it as an insurance.

If the York offer is no lower than the Notts one, then there's not much point selecting it as an insurance offer ideally you'd select an offer that is at least one grade lower, if you have one, at a university you would still be happy to attend.

UCAS Hub doesn't allow you to make your firm and insurance decision until all universities have responded, so York are currently preventing OP from firming Nottingham. Hence @swanseajack1's advice to withdrawn the application to York and hence allow them to firm Nottingham (and insure elsewhere).

Although OP says "if they [York] gave me an offer they would be an insurance choice" that's doesn't make too much sense, as you have pointed out, as the offer would likely be the same as Nottingham's. I therefore think the advice with withdraw from York therefore is sound - to claim the Nottingham accommodation.

(Nottingham are in breach of UCAS best practice by using accommodation allocation to put pressure on students to firm anyway - but UCAS don't seem to care.)
Original post by JAD1234

I applied to both and got offers from both - both at AAA. Tbh unless you think you are contextual, York aren’t going to give you a lower offer. The course is a small cohort and they always have a high number of applicants so there’s no need.

You are correct though that Nottingham have opened their accommodation. You can actually view on their website what is left (if you’re wanting Uni owned accom) so this will give you an idea what’s gone already. Tbh a lot of en-suite rooms had already gone as the returning students & deferred get priority before it opens to first years. But there are still rooms available especially in the less popular halls like Nightingale etc.

Tbh Nottingham are actually one of the later Russell Group unis to open accommodation as most did it weeks ago - I know York did it even before many offers were given out.

Have you no other offers that are lower to put as an insurance?
Original post by JAD1234

Hi, did you make a decision or hear anything from York yet? Just wondering how you got on.
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, did you make a decision or hear anything from York yet? Just wondering how you got on.

Sorry for no response i forgot to check the last few days, still haven't heard anything from York and taking advice from those around me and this forum I think withdrawing the application is the best choice as i don't really see much benefit in waiting around for an offer i wont take.

btw if you don't mind me asking which uni did you choose or are at?
Original post by JAD1234
Sorry for no response i forgot to check the last few days, still haven't heard anything from York and taking advice from those around me and this forum I think withdrawing the application is the best choice as i don't really see much benefit in waiting around for an offer i wont take.

btw if you don't mind me asking which uni did you choose or are at?

Sounds like a good decision I’m as sure it’ll be the same grades. I was going to do the same with York but then I got an offer a few days before I was going to withdraw. Do you have an insurance to put down?

Firmed Notts (conditional) as it was my favourite/first choice of my offers, great campus and course. Booked my accommodation so just waiting to hear where I’ve been given. 😬
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymous
Sounds like a good decision I’m as sure it’ll be the same grades. I was going to do the same with York but then I got an offer a few days before I was going to withdraw. Do you have an insurance to put down?

Firmed Notts (conditional) as it was my favourite/first choice of my offers, great campus and course. Booked my accommodation so just waiting to hear where I’ve been given. 😬

I do have a insurance but tbh im uninspired so if i miss AAA id probably do clearance or a gap.
Good luck for A levels.
Original post by JAD1234
I do have a insurance but tbh im uninspired so if i miss AAA id probably do clearance or a gap.
Good luck for A levels.

Ah ok. Fingers crossed you/we get Nottingham & won’t need to worry about it.
Good luck choosing your accom & for your A-levels. The exams are coming round quickly 😳

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending