The Student Room Group

geography nea

Hi, Im in year 12 doing geography a level with edexcel and were now working on the nea. I wanted to do the question "To what extent are coastal management strategies in Rhos on Sea considered a long term solution?" Could someone give me some feedback on what I could do for my subquestions and also what fieldwork data I need to collect and why? Thanks
Original post by xoxogosssipgirl
Hi, Im in year 12 doing geography a level with edexcel and were now working on the nea. I wanted to do the question "To what extent are coastal management strategies in Rhos on Sea considered a long term solution?" Could someone give me some feedback on what I could do for my subquestions and also what fieldwork data I need to collect and why? Thanks

Hey!

I studied geography at A-level a few years ago so hopefully I can help! If you're looking at coastal management strategies, one or more of your subquestions should probably be focused on a specific strategy that exists at your chosen location. I'm not sure exactly what defenses there are at Rhos on Sea, but you could look at groynes if there are any then state a hypothesis along the lines of "The groynes at Rhos on Sea at effective at collecting beach sediment to maintain the coastline." - something measurable that you can say is true or false. The data you'd collect alongside that would be measuring the height between the sand and top of the groyne on both sides, then if one side is higher you can prove that sediment is being gathered and longshore drift is being prevented. You could even look at historical photos or maps to see how far back the beach has eroded before and after defenses were installed, if the rate of erosion was faster before then it is clear the defenses are working. Although I know that sometimes this kind of information isn't easy to find. Then be sure to talk about the future towards the end as well - I just found quickly online a few articles (like this one https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62289150) talking about some new defenses they're planning to put in. You could describe how these strategies will make a difference, and whether they are necessary based on the data you've collected (i.e. are the current defenses effective already? Is the high cost of the new strategies worth it?). Linking back to your data to support your arguments is always a good idea, because it proves there's evidence and weight to what you're saying!

That's just a few ideas, I hope you find those useful :smile: It's been a while since I wrote my NEA haha, good luck with yours!
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi, Im in year 13 and I did my coursework on a similiar topic about coastal defences. The data I collected was beach profile measurements to see whether area of a beach decreased the further away from the groyne, sediment size analysis, questionnaires which I asked local people to fill out and a terminal groyne measurement which measured height of the beach on each side of a groyne. I also took photos which i put in my nea.For my sub questions, I did one on the effect of the groyne on areas downdrift, one on the effect on local people, and overall how effectiveness all the sea defences were in the area. What i found really useful was looking at examples of coursework, obviously don't copy these, but it's good to see the structure that you are supposed to use.
(edited 1 year ago)
thank you so much!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending