The Student Room Group

pharmacology

hiii, i’m currently in year 12 and i’m interested in studying pharmacology at uni. i do a level biology however i don’t do a level chemistry (when i chose my a levels i had no clue what i wanted to do hence why i didn’t choose chem) and most unis ask for a level biology and chemistry. any ideas how i can get around this? thanks :smile:
Original post by bkells12
hiii, i’m currently in year 12 and i’m interested in studying pharmacology at uni. i do a level biology however i don’t do a level chemistry (when i chose my a levels i had no clue what i wanted to do hence why i didn’t choose chem) and most unis ask for a level biology and chemistry. any ideas how i can get around this? thanks :smile:

I can think of 4 options from the top of my head. Only one is ideal:

Do A Level Chemistry in your gap year (budget for £1500 for exams + whatever your course fees are if you decide to take the course)

Try to convince your teachers to take on Chemistry on top of your other A Levels (either drop a subject or do it as a 4th subject, if they don't mind you staying on 6th form until you're 19)

Do a foundation year that would specifically lead you into pharmacology (costs £9250, unlikely be able to switch universities afterwards)

Do an Access course that has both biology and chemistry at 15 credits each (costs £3500 roughly)

If it's a required subject, you will usually be expected to have it in your selection of subjects. There's rarely an option around it.

You can ask other people to see if there is a uni that would only accept people with Biology A Level for entry though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending