The Student Room Group

Please Help!

I’m planning to study in UK this fall but very mich confused in selecting the right university as rankings are very confusing. Please help me selecting the right university from the list as per the quality of education and career opportunities.
I got offers from these:-
University of Glasgow
University of Bristol
University of Bath
University of St Andrews
Original post by Alphabita
I’m planning to study in UK this fall but very mich confused in selecting the right university as rankings are very confusing. Please help me selecting the right university from the list as per the quality of education and career opportunities.
I got offers from these:-
University of Glasgow
University of Bristol
University of Bath
University of St Andrews

Firstly, rankings are not everything.
All four of your unis are good ones; a couple of the more important factors in influencing your decision are: the course (structure, content, exams etc. which uni offers the course that you like the sound of most (as courses will differ from uni to uni)? And are there any other opportunities such as a placement (Bath is particularly good for this)), and where you'll actually be living and studying (campus, city, cost of living, facilities, sports etc.).
What will you be studying?
Don't just go by rankings. Look on the uni websites for the course modules and relevant opportunities offered, as well as possibly which city you had rather be in and campus/city uni preference.

edit: as bl0bf1sh answered above
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Thanks for the reply, im planning to do Masters in finance
Original post by penguingirl18
Don't just go by rankings. Look on the uni websites for the course modules and relevant opportunities offered, as well as possibly which city you had rather be in and campus/city uni preference.

You said it more concisely :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by penguingirl18

In terms of course structure Bath is attracts me but it is not a Russel group university and not in top 100.
As Im from India, i dont know much about UK but Location is not my top priority, for me quality of education and good career opportunities matters the most.
Im looking to work in UK for atleast 1-2years after my studies.
Thanks for the reply, im planning to do Masters in finance

Nice!
Do you have any thoughts on the type of place you might like to be? e.g. size of city/town, size of the uni, whether the uni is city- or campus- based, nightlife, things in the city/surroundings (countryside, nice buildings, shops, transport links etc.)? Do you do any sports or have any other hobbies, and can you do them at/with your uni?

In terms of course structure Bath is attracts me but it is not a Russel group university and not in top 100.
As Im from India, i dont know much about UK but Location is not my top priority, for me quality of education and good career opportunities matters the most.
Im looking to work in UK for atleast 1-2years after my studies.

Russell Group doesn't really matter much; Bath is an excellent university (definitely not biased hehe :smile:), is the Times and Sunday Times 2023 "University of the Year", really good sports facilities, relatively small campus-based university, in a beautiful city and surroundings!

Would recommend visiting, although as (understandably) this may be difficult for you, there should be some "tours" available online have a look at both the university and the city/town (even if it's just Google Maps) for each of your university choices. I have found that actually seeing the places really helps put things into perspective :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by bl0bf1sh
Nice!
Do you have any thoughts on the type of place you might like to be? e.g. size of city/town, size of the uni, whether the uni is city- or campus- based, nightlife, things in the city/surroundings (countryside, nice buildings, shops, transport links etc.)? Do you do any sports or have any other hobbies, and can you do them at/with your uni?

Russell Group doesn't really matter much; Bath is an excellent university (definitely not biased hehe :smile:), is the Times and Sunday Times 2023 "University of the Year", really good sports facilities, relatively small campus-based university, in a beautiful city and surroundings!

Would recommend visiting, although as (understandably) this may be difficult for you, there should be some "tours" available online have a look at both the university and the city/town (even if it's just Google Maps) for each of your university choices. I have found that actually seeing the places really helps put things into perspective :smile:

Oh thank you so much for the suggestions, i will definitely try to look city and campus online. One thing what you think about career opportunities in Bath? Is it better than the Bristol or St Andrews?
Oh thank you so much for the suggestions, i will definitely try to look city and campus online. One thing what you think about career opportunities in Bath? Is it better than the Bristol or St Andrews?

Bath is better than many RG and warmer than Scotland.
Reply 9
Original post by Muttley79

Thanks
Reply 10
Original post by Muttley79

Hey just today i also got offer from Cranfield University for accounting and finance , what do you think is better between Bath and Cranfield.
Hey just today i also got offer from Cranfield University for accounting and finance , what do you think is better between Bath and Cranfield.

Bath - but you need to compare the courses

Hi @Alphabita

Congrats on a great offer!

You have been speaking a lot on this thread about rankings, which is something that confused me quite a bit when I was applying to Cranfield. Because we are postgraduate only, and most rankings are based solely on undergraduate courses, it can be tricky to find that info. The Cranfield School of Management is top 10 in the UK and 34th in Europe in the Financial Times European Business School 2021 Rankings.
As others have said, rankings aren’t everything, so another way employers judge the quality of education is if the degree is accredited. Students who successfully complete the Cranfield Accounting and Finance MSc can join CIMA via the Master’s gateway route. Upon successfully completing the MSc in Accounting and Finance, students can register with CIMA to take an online case study exam in order to obtain the CIMA Advanced Diploma in Management Accounting (CIMA Adv Dip MA).
This quality and relevancy to the modern business world is maintained by strong industry links. An external advisory panel informs the design and development of the course, and comprises senior finance practitioners. Additionally, the teaching team is supported by international visiting industry speakers and professors to add new knowledge and worldwide perspectives on many different topics.

The relevance to current industry practices are also maintained through the infrastructure. During the course you will have access to a highly effective infrastructure including Bloomberg live financial news and data terminal, BOARDEX, Capital IQ, CRSP, Datastream, EIKON, EBSCO, FACTIVA, FAME, Financial Times, ORBIS Bank Focus, ProQuest, Science Direct, SDC Platinum and Thomson One resources. You will also use real-world, international case studies to support your learning, so that your knowledge is much more than theoretical!
You can also show employers that you have independently applied your classroom-based knowledge during your thesis project.

Another major factor many people consider is course content. The Cranfield course covers a wide range of topics and skills, from financial data analysis to strategic management and research methods. You can also tailor your experience based on your interests or career goals by choosing elective modules. This ensures Cranfield graduates are well rounded and fully prepared for their careers, and also stand out to employers. You can get more details on the module content here:
https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/som/masters-courses/accounting-and-finance
Speaking of your career goals, you will also be supported by the careers team at Cranfield. They offer so many different services, helping with everything from improving your CV, to interview skills, to identifying potential employers. Cranfield finance graduates have secured jobs with organisations including PricewaterhouseCoopers, Barclays Investment Bank, Bloomberg, Bank Indonesia, Lloyds Banking Group, Credit Agricole, Diageo, Ernst & Young, Thomson Reuters, Toyota, UBS and Morgan Stanley. Their roles have included Data Analyst, Financial Planner, Consultant, Private Equity Analyst and Financial Risk Manager.

Hopefully I haven’t put too much info down al at once, but if you have any questions about Cranfield, life here, more about the course, or anything else, just let me know 😊 You can also ask on the Cranfield TSR page here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=1398
You can also chat with some of our current students from the school of management about their experiences and why they chose Cranfield here:
https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/ambassador-chat

Best of luck making your decision!
Ciara
3rd year Agrifood PhD student
Cranfield Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending