The Student Room Group

I don't understand why my answer is wrong - chemistry practical question a level

Guys I put funnel for the first part and fume cupboard for the second part. Why is this wrong?Screenshot 2023-04-19 4.15.36 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-04-19 4.15.18 PM.png
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by leoishush
Guys I put funnel for the first part and fume cupboard for the second part. Why is this wrong?

What is the question?
Reply 2
Original post by bl0bf1sh
What is the question?

ive added it
Original post by leoishush
Guys I put funnel for the first part and fume cupboard for the second part. Why is this wrong?Screenshot 2023-04-19 4.15.36 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-04-19 4.15.18 PM.png

Using a funnel to fill a burette is pretty standard practice. As potassium manganate (VII) is oxidising and harmful, you definitely don't want to get any in your eyes; you're already wearing eye protection, but if your head is below the level of the burette, any spills are more likely to get into your eyes. Also when you're actually filling the burette, if it is above eye level you'll probably be reaching up, meaning that you are potentially pouring the liquid with much less control.

Spoiler

Sodium ethanedioate is solid, and dissolving it in water shouldn't produce any hazardous gases. So a fume cupboard probably won't help much. The question has asked for safety precautions other than eye protection, so wearing gloves would be a good idea :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by bl0bf1sh
Using a funnel to fill a burette is pretty standard practice. As potassium manganate (VII) is oxidising and harmful, you definitely don't want to get any in your eyes; you're already wearing eye protection, but if your head is below the level of the burette, any spills are more likely to get into your eyes. Also when you're actually filling the burette, if it is above eye level you'll probably be reaching up, meaning that you are potentially pouring the liquid with much less control.

Spoiler

Sodium ethanedioate is solid, and dissolving it in water shouldn't produce any hazardous gases. So a fume cupboard probably won't help much. The question has asked for safety precautions other than eye protection, so wearing gloves would be a good idea :smile:

thank youuuuu

Quick Reply

Latest