The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

FAQ: Ask A Current Student!

Scroll to see replies

how are the male to female ratios for maths at QM and what would a normal day be like the in the life of a mathematics student
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Original post by R4JBO55
how are the male to female ratios for maths at QM and what would a normal day be like the in the life of a mathematics student

Generally speaking it's quite hard to judge as lectures only tend to have a 40-60% turn out. From what I can say over my few years is that it seems to be fairly well divided, if not ever so slightly skewed in favour of the males.

Your workload will vary, and as such your days will vary greatly. For the most part, you won't be so swamped with work that you won't be able to have time to relax, but at the same time you don't have the freedom to mess around and leave everything until the end.

My advice? At the end of any given day make sure that you've understood everything that has been lectured in that day. Make sure to do every single coursework sheet (these are not assesed for almost all of the modules) as I cannot stress how well these will prepare you for the final exam. Do this and you could probably get away with an hour a day outside of lecture/tutorial hours. This, naturally, will go up in the time leading up to reading week (when most maths midterms are held) and will increase considerably come Semester 3 (when all of your exams are).

Of course, this is all subject to how easy/difficult you find mathematics at university. Maths at university is quite different to maths at A-level, but is infinitely more rewarding. (Make sure you like proofs for first year!)

Also, please feel free to private message me at any point if you feel you need help with things at university, ideas on what to prepare for at university, life at QM etc or even just general life advice. My PMs are open at any time, and I hope you'll forgive me if I don't reply so much around exam time. If you do end up at QM next year, perhaps I might run into you insha'Allah.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Integral_Chicken
Generally speaking it's quite hard to judge as lectures only tend to have a 40-60% turn out. From what I can say over my few years is that it seems to be fairly well divided, if not ever so slightly skewed in favour of the males.

Your workload will vary, and as such your days will vary greatly. For the most part, you won't be so swamped with work that you won't be able to have time to relax, but at the same time you don't have the freedom to mess around and leave everything until the end.

My advice? At the end of any given day make sure that you've understood everything that has been lectured in that day. Make sure to do every single coursework sheet (these are not assesed for almost all of the modules) as I cannot stress how well these will prepare you for the final exam. Do this and you could probably get away with an hour a day outside of lecture/tutorial hours. This, naturally, will go up in the time leading up to reading week (when most maths midterms are held) and will increase considerably come Semester 3 (when all of your exams are).

Of course, this is all subject to how easy/difficult you find mathematics at university. Maths at university is quite different to maths at A-level, but is infinitely more rewarding. (Make sure you like proofs for first year!)

Also, please feel free to private message me at any point if you feel you need help with things at university, ideas on what to prepare for at university, life at QM etc or even just general life advice. My PMs are open at any time, and I hope you'll forgive me if I don't reply so much around exam time. If you do end up at QM next year, perhaps I might run into you insha'Allah.

definately inshallah, yh defo ill pm u in a month or 2 once exams are over lol going on a tsr break. and yh im aiming to get a* for maths and a for further so inshallah wanna get into qmul via adjustment cause my ucas form was messed. what yr are u btw and im not sure but u do maths right lol
Original post by R4JBO55
definately inshallah, yh defo ill pm u in a month or 2 once exams are over lol going on a tsr break. and yh im aiming to get a* for maths and a for further so inshallah wanna get into qmul via adjustment cause my ucas form was messed. what yr are u btw and im not sure but u do maths right lol

Yes, a TSR break can be quite useful - I definitely had to take one during GCSEs and A-levels. Stay positive and work hard and insha'Allah you'll see the positive results.

I'm currently in my second year of Maths and Computer Science. I've done almos exclusively all mathematics modules thus far (bar the 2-3 compulsory Comp Sci ones) so yes, I guess you could say I do maths.

Just as a side note, perhaps contacting QMUL admissions just to explain your situation would be helpful, especially if there was an issue with your UCAS form. Is it that you applied to QMUL but for the wrong course (they are very happy to help you change this - I did it myself before starting) or is it that you didn't put them down as a choice? Either way, admissions is a good place to contact as they can run through your options and put your mind at ease.
Original post by Integral_Chicken
Yes, a TSR break can be quite useful - I definitely had to take one during GCSEs and A-levels. Stay positive and work hard and insha'Allah you'll see the positive results.

I'm currently in my second year of Maths and Computer Science. I've done almos exclusively all mathematics modules thus far (bar the 2-3 compulsory Comp Sci ones) so yes, I guess you could say I do maths.

Just as a side note, perhaps contacting QMUL admissions just to explain your situation would be helpful, especially if there was an issue with your UCAS form. Is it that you applied to QMUL but for the wrong course (they are very happy to help you change this - I did it myself before starting) or is it that you didn't put them down as a choice? Either way, admissions is a good place to contact as they can run through your options and put your mind at ease.

nah i didnt put qmul down as a uni so it was my fault and i cant fix this plus its too late. gotta work to get throguh ajustment with as high grades as possible
hi can I do law at qm if i do btec business
Reply 1246
How is economics at Queen Mary? I'll be going there this sept but idk how good it is. Any help would be much appreciated thanks :smile:
Hows stocks court accomodation?

hi, I am going to be a first year student in queen marry this year to study politics and international relations; their are 2 optional modules and was wondering which one is best;
POL109 global histories
POL108 background to British politics
thank you

How did you choose accommodation ultimately?
What time are the earliest lectures/seminars etc usually at? Particularly for history? I realise this will vary year to year/course to course so a rough estimate is fine. Thanks!
im guessing teaching hours is the same for all schools? So for me, 9am-6pm
Original post by Anonymous
What time are the earliest lectures/seminars etc usually at? Particularly for history? I realise this will vary year to year/course to course so a rough estimate is fine. Thanks!
Reply 1252
I've got a conditional offer which I've firmed from Queens. It was Distinction*, B B. In Economics and maths to study computer science. Later on offered an scholarship for A*AA. Halfway through my A-levels, I underwent surgery stopping me from studying, so now I feel like I've done bad in my maths exam. I was wondering, whether my chances were cut slims since I feel like I'm going to achieve at worst ABMD. The D is my a level. However, at best ABCM. Being a student who applied, can someone tell me if my chances are cut slim. Just want to clarify, I was offered a scholarship and I put it down as my firm.
Hello Mr Mortell! My name is Jessie. I am due to start my LLM International Law (postgrad study at QM this Sept) + full time. Do you have any idea of what a weekly postgraduate timetable would be like? eg, how many lectures we would have roughly. I am considering to live at home if the timetable is flexible.
Thank you for your advice in advance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending