The Student Room Group

A-Level Textiles, does it limit uni opportunities?

So i’ve just had a quite heated conversation with a friend, who claimed that taking A-level Textiles reduces my opportunities, not for university, but for life??
for context, i’m in year 11, and i want to study medicine for university. i’m currently choosing between Bio Psych Chem EPQ for Alevel, or the same options but with Textiles instead of EPQ.

Textiles at my school is 100% coursework, so the time spent on it compared to other subjects will be generally less than taking up an EPQ, and as long as i take the required subjects(bio chem) than any extra subjects shouldn’t be a problem( this has been fact checked by calling up universities that i want to apply to)

She claims that they’ll prefer students who take more subjects like maths etc, and an EPQ is a better option( though i’m likely to spend more time preparing on that than on textiles coursework)

what do you guys think?

i think i’m better off taking textiles as an option, especially because an A* in an a-level is 56 UCAS points, whereas an A* in EPQ is only 28, and because i’m good at it, i’m more likely to do well.
Reply 1
If you do an EPQ, you could do it on something medicine related, giving something to talk about in the interview, and also showing how much you appreciate or enjoy medicine. That's what a couple of people i know are using their epq for.

Quick Reply

Latest