The Student Room Group

Not invited on partners family holiday

I'm sorry if this is an unreasonable question, I just wanted to get across how I feel.

Both me and my partner have been together for 2+ years now, we met during college, and have remained as a couple studying at Uni. My family have largely embraced my partner, she regularly comes on her holidays away, and was even invited to a family wedding of mine, even though most SO's were not invited.

Her family has arranged a holiday, and I've not been invited, even though I was prepared to pay my way. Am I being unreasonable to feel like this?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm sorry if this is an unreasonable question, I just wanted to get across how I feel.

Both me and my partner have been together for 2+ years now, we met during college, and have remained as a couple studying at Uni. My family have largely embraced my partner, she regularly comes on her holidays away, and was even invited to a family wedding of mine, even though most SO's were not invited.

Her family has arranged a holiday, and I've not been invited, even though I was prepared to pay my way. Am I being unreasonable to feel like this?

Yes you are . You and your family should do what you feel comfortable doing , not in the expectation that it will be reciprocated .

Also it’s a family holiday , are you married ? If not then you technically aren’t family . 2 years isn’t that long . Your family may have jumped the gun here and been ok if welcoming your partner into the family and lightning speed but not all families are the same . Maybe his want a family holiday to be family only . Nothing wrong with that . Look at it this way , if you partner had lots of gfs over a short period of time , then they’d have randoms in photos potentially for each family holiday .
Original post by DeadeyeDuncan
Yes you are . You and your family should do what you feel comfortable doing , not in the expectation that it will be reciprocated .

Also it’s a family holiday , are you married ? If not then you technically aren’t family . 2 years isn’t that long . Your family may have jumped the gun here and been ok if welcoming your partner into the family and lightning speed but not all families are the same . Maybe his want a family holiday to be family only . Nothing wrong with that . Look at it this way , if you partner had lots of gfs over a short period of time , then they’d have randoms in photos potentially for each family holiday .

I was thinking of proposing in summer, once I save up enough money for an engagement ring. I'm a guy, by the way. The only person I've dated in my life was my partner, I'm not the sort of individual who would do that.
Having been with my partner for 9 years or so, I've no expectation whatsoever that I would be invited on family holidays.

For some families it's a common thing, others wouldn't dream of it. For a lot of people, spending holiday time with anyone other than their partner and/or kids is bananas.

I honestly would not worry about it.
I was thinking of proposing in summer, once I save up enough money for an engagement ring. I'm a guy, by the way. The only person I've dated in my life was my partner, I'm not the sort of individual who would do that.

I meant to put gf/ bfs but forgot .

either way planning isn’t marriage . And if you’re planning then her family don’t know . so therefore goes back to what I said earlier , maybe they just don’t se you as family yet . And therefore you are not at that threshold warranting an invite .

I think you’re overthinking this , if you were married and you weren’t invited then I’d say you have a point and I’d be ringing your in laws to find out why . But as it stand i would just accept it . Plus why you even want to go . I try my hardest to avoid my mother in law , why are you so eager to go on a holiday with yours? ( future one )
Original post by DeadeyeDuncan
I meant to put gf/ bfs but forgot .

either way planning isn’t marriage . And if you’re planning then her family don’t know . so therefore goes back to what I said earlier , maybe they just don’t se you as family yet . And therefore you are not at that threshold warranting an invite .

I think you’re overthinking this , if you were married and you weren’t invited then I’d say you have a point and I’d be ringing your in laws to find out why . But as it stand i would just accept it . Plus why you even want to go . I try my hardest to avoid my mother in law , why are you so eager to go on a holiday with yours? ( future one )

I hate being left out of things, as it makes me feel miserable. Hence why perhaps I'm unreasonable with this.
I hate being left out of things, as it makes me feel miserable. Hence why perhaps I'm unreasonable with this.

This combined with everything else happening recently has made me feel miserable in my life.
Reply 7
you are. My family would not allow me bring my gf either, and I have been in their trips. If youur family is okay with it cool, but that should mean you should expect them to act the same way.

Also, can anyone please answer my question in my forum, i need help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending