The Student Room Group

A strange teacher

So this is going to sound strange but I can’t really talk to anyone I actually know in real life about it, so I feel like here on anon is the best place I can get advice.
One of my A level maths teachers (I’m in year 13) has taught me for the last two years. He was also my form tutor up until easter break (I don’t have him as a form tutor anymore, since my school cancels form time for year 13 after easter break). He’s extremely nice, and really funny (in the sense that he’s always sarcastic). I get along with him really well but there’s been times where I feel as if he’s kind of strange. I’ll explain.
I first noticed it when at one point last year I had a boyfriend, and he would always ask about how me and my boyfriend were (my boyfriend was also two years older than me, and the teacher would always kind of make fun of me saying I like older men) and always try and attack my boyfriend and say I deserve someone better. (At the time I thought the teacher was just being protective and caring, which maybe he genuinely was, but I don’t know).
But this year (year 13), he’s been talking to me a lot more. It’s a class full of boys (I’m the only girl) and all the boys get along really well with each other. I do get along with some of the boys who sit near me but not that well. I had a girl friend in the class in year 12, but she only completed AS maths. Me and the teacher did get kind of close at the start of this year since we spoke so much, a lot of that because he would come over and sit and talk to me (probably since I had nobody else to talk to). I assumed it was normal, since he’d always mention his kid and his wife (who is also a teacher at the school).
But in more recent months (since about December onwards) he would make little comments which I would find strange. For example, before we broke up for the christmas holidays, I was talking to him and at one point I said “I’m just so glad we’re breaking up for two weeks, I deserve a rest” and he goes “we aren’t breaking up, you can still come around to mine!!” and at the time, I just laughed it off because it was one of the first times so I didn’t think much of it.
But then after we came back after the break, there was more. He would always ask me when I’m working (I work part-time) in retail, and there’s been times (at least ten times) where he’s come visit me at work. At first, I would willingly tell him when I’m working since I thought it was sweet, but then I stopped, but he would come anyway since I’m guessing he’d figured out my contracted days at work. Even my colleagues and managers recognise him and talk to him, even when I’m not working.
There was one day where I had a university interview (virtual) which I was preparing to do in school, and him and a couple of my other teachers were there about ten minutes before the interview start time (it was UCL, so it was a big deal for a little sixth form like ours) to help me prepare. And then my maths teacher says “okay well, we’ll leave you to it, good luck” as in basically indicating to the other teachers that they should all leave with him, so everyone else started saying bye and good luck. But then he was the last one out the door and managed to continue a conversation with just him and me, after they’d all left. Then he closed the door and sat down next to me and was just asking if I was okay (I was a little panicked obviously since it was one of my dream unis). And don’t get me wrong, he was really sweet and was making me feel better. But then at one point he put his hand on my hand since I was shaking, but I didn’t think much of it since he moved his hand away a couple seconds later. And then a while later, he put his hand on my leg. I didn’t really know what to do, so I kind of froze and was hoping he would move it away like he did before when it was on my hand. But he didn’t, so about five seconds later I just stood up and made up an excuse to go get my phone charger which I left somewhere else blah blah.
Recently, before we broke up for the easter break, he was telling me how his son and his wife are going on holiday, but he isn’t going. And I made fun of him a little (as our whole maths class did) and then later he comes over, asks how I’m getting on with the work, blah blah. I said I was struggling a little with my a levels in general and staying motivated and how I felt socially drained. And then he talks about how it’s the easter holiday now and how ideally I can’t afford to waste any revision time, which at first I was shocked that he was being somewhat strict about it (which is unusual for him), but then realised he was being reasonable. So I agreed with him, and then he says “If you want, we can meet up in the break and I can help you with maths” so I assumed he meant in school, like a maths revision session. So I laughed and said “pft please, I’m not coming into school in the only two weeks off I get from it” but he went “no no, not in school, you can come around to mine!!” and I was so shocked I said nothing and just stared at him blankly. And then he added “Plus my wife and son won’t be there, so we can do whatever we want” and then I said no thank you and made up an excuse about staying at my cousins house in the holidays.
I wasn’t back at school the first week back after the break since I was in hospital. He emailed me asking if I was okay, and also sent me the relevant maths work which I missed out in in class (which is fair enough) but I didn’t reply as I hadn’t been checking my emails whilst in hospital. He then called me through the school number, and asked if I was okay (which is sweet, but my recent opinions on him made me feel like it was weird). He also asked what ward number it was (I said I didn’t know) and if I wanted him to come visit (which I obviously said no to).
I go back to school on Monday. I find it uncomfortable and somewhat strange. I don’t want to report him, because for one I don’t think he’s technically done anything against the rules, so I would end up looking unreasonable. And for two, he is a nice person, and a really good teacher. Our school isn’t an amazing school, so losing a teacher like him would take a bad hit. I don’t know what to do. Do I tell him that what he says makes me uncomfortable? Or do I just suck it up for the next three months until I finish?
Thank you.
girl get away from him every chance you get dont give him the opportunity to do these kind of things and defo tell your parents if not tell a sibling or a friend or teacher you trust

this is defo not normal and this is very against the rules he can for sure get fired for this
Original post by 19mfeltane
girl get away from him every chance you get dont give him the opportunity to do these kind of things and defo tell your parents if not tell a sibling or a friend or teacher you trust

this is defo not normal and this is very against the rules he can for sure get fired for this

Not in my school - there was a situation similar to mine a couple years ago, I don’t know much about it but I know the teacher didn’t get fired or anything (he left on his own about a year ago). I’m scared to report it as I don’t want to look unreasonable - what would I say? He’s been at the school for years, I don’t think a little school like ours would risk firing him.
This is probably silly of me, but I don’t want to make him lose his job. I’d feel too guilty for that - but the only other thing I can think of is just sucking it ip and dealing with it for the next three months until I leave? But I’ve also got a fear that even after I leave, he’ll keep coming to my workplace. So surely the only thing I can do is tell him that I don’t like it?
🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩 🚩
Obviously red flag is obvious.
I mean most people's first response to this would be of outrage since it seems obvious that he is being inappropriate. However, I think we can only be definitive if he continues after you've said that you're uncomfortable with what he's saying/doing so you should make that clear in the next possible instance.
He has definitely done something against the rules - touching your hand, putting his hand on your leg, inviting you around to his house, probing into your private life, turning up at your place of work multiple times....all massive red flags and definitely a safeguarding issue. Someone like that has no place being around young people, part of being a teacher is understanding the boundaries between what's professional and what's unacceptable conduct.

If you don't feel comfortable reporting him yourself, perhaps telling a parent or another trusted adult would be easier and allow them to contact the school or police on your behalf? I know it's scary and I don't mean to guilt trip you but he's only going to do it again to another student if no one speaks up.
Thank you all for replying honestly.
I think what I’ll do is talk to him and tell him that I’m uncomfortable with it. I’ve never actually said it to him, so I feel like it would be unfair if I went and told someone else without letting him know that I’m uncomfortable with it. (You might think that’s silly of me but it makes sense in my head.) Also, the only other teacher I would trust to even tell about this is my other maths teacher (we have two teachers per subject), but the two of them are close and have known each other for ages, so I don’t know if that would be a good idea.
Is it a good idea to tell him that it makes me uncomfortable? And if it is, do I wait until the next time he does something, or do I just bring it up tomorrow to him, before he even can do anything? And what would I even say? I still need him as a teacher, he’s a really good teacher and genuinely does help me (and I need to improve my grade to an A* in maths to get into my uni). Or do I not go through with this?
Thanks again. I appreciate the help.
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you all for replying honestly.
I think what I’ll do is talk to him and tell him that I’m uncomfortable with it. I’ve never actually said it to him, so I feel like it would be unfair if I went and told someone else without letting him know that I’m uncomfortable with it. (You might think that’s silly of me but it makes sense in my head.) Also, the only other teacher I would trust to even tell about this is my other maths teacher (we have two teachers per subject), but the two of them are close and have known each other for ages, so I don’t know if that would be a good idea.
Is it a good idea to tell him that it makes me uncomfortable? And if it is, do I wait until the next time he does something, or do I just bring it up tomorrow to him, before he even can do anything? And what would I even say? I still need him as a teacher, he’s a really good teacher and genuinely does help me (and I need to improve my grade to an A* in maths to get into my uni). Or do I not go through with this?
Thanks again. I appreciate the help.you know

I think you need to learn how to summarise better.
Sorry. I made a thread on this the other day but I was told I wasn’t being clear enough. May have overdone it on this one.
Sorry. I made a thread on this the other day but I was told I wasn’t being clear enough. May have overdone it on this one.

Don't apologise.
I'm mad at the teacher. That sounds like grooming to me. He is in no position to touch you like that.
Don't be afraid to tell the headteacher and your grades aren't as important as your health.
So this is going to sound strange but I can’t really talk to anyone I actually know in real life about it, so I feel like here on anon is the best place I can get advice.
One of my A level maths teachers (I’m in year 13) has taught me for the last two years. He was also my form tutor up until easter break (I don’t have him as a form tutor anymore, since my school cancels form time for year 13 after easter break). He’s extremely nice, and really funny (in the sense that he’s always sarcastic). I get along with him really well but there’s been times where I feel as if he’s kind of strange. I’ll explain.
I first noticed it when at one point last year I had a boyfriend, and he would always ask about how me and my boyfriend were (my boyfriend was also two years older than me, and the teacher would always kind of make fun of me saying I like older men) and always try and attack my boyfriend and say I deserve someone better. (At the time I thought the teacher was just being protective and caring, which maybe he genuinely was, but I don’t know).
But this year (year 13), he’s been talking to me a lot more. It’s a class full of boys (I’m the only girl) and all the boys get along really well with each other. I do get along with some of the boys who sit near me but not that well. I had a girl friend in the class in year 12, but she only completed AS maths. Me and the teacher did get kind of close at the start of this year since we spoke so much, a lot of that because he would come over and sit and talk to me (probably since I had nobody else to talk to). I assumed it was normal, since he’d always mention his kid and his wife (who is also a teacher at the school).
But in more recent months (since about December onwards) he would make little comments which I would find strange. For example, before we broke up for the christmas holidays, I was talking to him and at one point I said “I’m just so glad we’re breaking up for two weeks, I deserve a rest” and he goes “we aren’t breaking up, you can still come around to mine!!” and at the time, I just laughed it off because it was one of the first times so I didn’t think much of it.
But then after we came back after the break, there was more. He would always ask me when I’m working (I work part-time) in retail, and there’s been times (at least ten times) where he’s come visit me at work. At first, I would willingly tell him when I’m working since I thought it was sweet, but then I stopped, but he would come anyway since I’m guessing he’d figured out my contracted days at work. Even my colleagues and managers recognise him and talk to him, even when I’m not working.
There was one day where I had a university interview (virtual) which I was preparing to do in school, and him and a couple of my other teachers were there about ten minutes before the interview start time (it was UCL, so it was a big deal for a little sixth form like ours) to help me prepare. And then my maths teacher says “okay well, we’ll leave you to it, good luck” as in basically indicating to the other teachers that they should all leave with him, so everyone else started saying bye and good luck. But then he was the last one out the door and managed to continue a conversation with just him and me, after they’d all left. Then he closed the door and sat down next to me and was just asking if I was okay (I was a little panicked obviously since it was one of my dream unis). And don’t get me wrong, he was really sweet and was making me feel better. But then at one point he put his hand on my hand since I was shaking, but I didn’t think much of it since he moved his hand away a couple seconds later. And then a while later, he put his hand on my leg. I didn’t really know what to do, so I kind of froze and was hoping he would move it away like he did before when it was on my hand. But he didn’t, so about five seconds later I just stood up and made up an excuse to go get my phone charger which I left somewhere else blah blah.
Recently, before we broke up for the easter break, he was telling me how his son and his wife are going on holiday, but he isn’t going. And I made fun of him a little (as our whole maths class did) and then later he comes over, asks how I’m getting on with the work, blah blah. I said I was struggling a little with my a levels in general and staying motivated and how I felt socially drained. And then he talks about how it’s the easter holiday now and how ideally I can’t afford to waste any revision time, which at first I was shocked that he was being somewhat strict about it (which is unusual for him), but then realised he was being reasonable. So I agreed with him, and then he says “If you want, we can meet up in the break and I can help you with maths” so I assumed he meant in school, like a maths revision session. So I laughed and said “pft please, I’m not coming into school in the only two weeks off I get from it” but he went “no no, not in school, you can come around to mine!!” and I was so shocked I said nothing and just stared at him blankly. And then he added “Plus my wife and son won’t be there, so we can do whatever we want” and then I said no thank you and made up an excuse about staying at my cousins house in the holidays.
I wasn’t back at school the first week back after the break since I was in hospital. He emailed me asking if I was okay, and also sent me the relevant maths work which I missed out in in class (which is fair enough) but I didn’t reply as I hadn’t been checking my emails whilst in hospital. He then called me through the school number, and asked if I was okay (which is sweet, but my recent opinions on him made me feel like it was weird). He also asked what ward number it was (I said I didn’t know) and if I wanted him to come visit (which I obviously said no to).
I go back to school on Monday. I find it uncomfortable and somewhat strange. I don’t want to report him, because for one I don’t think he’s technically done anything against the rules, so I would end up looking unreasonable. And for two, he is a nice person, and a really good teacher. Our school isn’t an amazing school, so losing a teacher like him would take a bad hit. I don’t know what to do. Do I tell him that what he says makes me uncomfortable? Or do I just suck it up for the next three months until I finish?
Thank you.

Nah report him. He should know way way better than to be being weird like this- reading this post made my stomach turn inside out. Who knows he might be doing this to someone else and they're also too scared to talk about it. If he loses his job then that's on HIM not YOU. It's clearly going against safeguarding, why on earth would he even suggest coming over to his home? Yuck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending