The Student Room Group

Can I go into law with 3 stem a levels ?

I’m a year 12 student currently studying maths, chemistry and biology. I’m not too sure which career path I would like to go down. Half of me says to go into science ( chemistry in particular ) other half says go into law. I’m predicted 3A*’s and I have done 3 weeks experience at a solicitors firm and 1 week at a corporate firm. I really enjoyed it, but I’m not sure if I would be able to get offers from university’s due to my subject choices. Originally I was planning on going to Oxford, any advice would really be helpful.
yes, you can absolutely apply with stem subjects. there are no subject requirements (as i've seen) for law courses, other than an implication that an essay subject would be helpful (but not necessary). sounds like you're on track if you're predicted 3a* and have done lots of work experience.
I’d say just go with the flow and follow your heart! If it’s chemistry then do that. You can always do the law conversion course after uni. If you know you want to do law the go for that from the offset by way of a law degree.

More important thing would be to ask yourself if you’d be happy and able to succeed in the uni you go to. I remember feeling suffocated and depressed in oxbridge and dropped out to apply to a more normal uni as I didn’t fit into the whole oxbridge thing.

Good luck whatever you decide :smile:
I would choose a stem subject as you can always do the law conversion course, whereas if you choose law your options are limited if later down the line you do decide on a science-y career. Think about what you'll enjoy studying for 3 years too.
Yes, those A levels are fine for law. If you do an LLB then you avoid law firms putting you through the PGDL too (even under SQE the new system where in theory an LLB/PGDL Is not compulsory law firms still prefer one or the other). Half of lawyers do a law degree first and half not however so go with what feels best for youj.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending