The Student Room Group

I'm so lost :')

I'm in Year 12 doing Maths, Computer Science, Psychology. I don't particularly enjoy any of my subjects and I find it hard to put effort and time into revising and I just don't know if college isn't right for me or if its a me problem being lazy or something.
I don't even know what I want to do for a degree but with how computer science is going and me being **** at coding I feel like the only option I had in my head has gone out the window so I'm really just lost. I've had the idea of maybe starting again next year taking different subjects but Ive been told id have to drop out and move colleges but i don't want to move colleges and then I don't want to just do that and still not like it anyway.
What grades are you working at? Coding can be a hard skill to get your head round at the start but slowly things will fall into place. Maybe you could book a careers appointment at your college or talk to some of your teachers on what they think is the best next step?
Coding tough at the start. Once you get the grasp of it you will slowly start unlocking doors for (good) tech jobs.
Reply 3
Original post by noahwdennis
What grades are you working at? Coding can be a hard skill to get your head round at the start but slowly things will fall into place. Maybe you could book a careers appointment at your college or talk to some of your teachers on what they think is the best next step?

I have an AAA target but I think I'm at a BCC rn. I'll see if I can talk to my progress mentor about it
Original post by nickmarkie
I'm in Year 12 doing Maths, Computer Science, Psychology. I don't particularly enjoy any of my subjects and I find it hard to put effort and time into revising and I just don't know if college isn't right for me or if its a me problem being lazy or something.
I don't even know what I want to do for a degree but with how computer science is going and me being **** at coding I feel like the only option I had in my head has gone out the window so I'm really just lost. I've had the idea of maybe starting again next year taking different subjects but Ive been told id have to drop out and move colleges but i don't want to move colleges and then I don't want to just do that and still not like it anyway.

Hello, I hope you are doing okay. It is completely normal to feel lost at this stage, I also felt lost when I was facing this problem in high school. I understand that coding can be really difficult and you might feel overwhelmed at some point, but if you have thought of doing computer science as your degree and want to give it a go, maybe you can try to look for fun project ideas and easy coding tools online that might make you feel more interested in the topic. If things improve afterward and you start to enjoy doing it, then that would be great, otherwise, it will still be a good experience that could be useful for the future. Maybe you will also discover other things that you feel interested in. It is really important that the degree you end up choosing is something that you like, but don't worry too much because there are also a lot of people who switched their majors halfway through their degree and it is completely fine. All the best to you!

- Miyuki (Lancaster University FST Student Ambassador)
Most universities don't require the Computer Science A-Level for their computer science course. So if you can do well on the Maths A-Level, it can show the universities that you are good at that type of thinking.

It may seem pointless to put a lot of effort into revising, but it will determine which university you go to, which will be a big difference in your experience for 3 years. So you could look at the websites of the universities, and if you like a specific university's course you might become more motivated to try to get in.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by nickmarkie

What about something like a surveying apprenticeship?You still end up with a degree but get paid and get to use your maths skills.There are lots of careers out there you probably have never heard of yet.If you changed subjects what would you like to do with them?

Quick Reply

Latest