The Student Room Group

Can I get out of doing my first year assignments as I'm leaving?

So I'm leaving the uni I'm at rn because I'm not enjoying the environment or the course. I've already been accepted to another uni starting next September but annoyingly I can't leave now because I'd need to repay back the remainder of my student loan for this year and I'm not in a position where I easily can at the moment. I also REALLY don't want to complete my end of year assignments because, as I'm leaving, I've lost all motivation to do it and just want to be done with the uni I'm at now. What should I do? Will I be okay to not do them and go straight on with the remainder of my loan and then on to my new uni or should I just get them over and done with so I don't face any negative repercussions? HELP!!!
Basically in the same boat as me, although I'm at the end of my second year. Been sticking it out just to avoid causing problems with my loan/grant. Got three assignments to complete by the end of May... Got my last two lectures of the semester tomorrow, and I have no intention of actually showing up. Just got zero motivation at this stage.
Original post by myiahbarker
So I'm leaving the uni I'm at rn because I'm not enjoying the environment or the course. I've already been accepted to another uni starting next September but annoyingly I can't leave now because I'd need to repay back the remainder of my student loan for this year and I'm not in a position where I easily can at the moment. I also REALLY don't want to complete my end of year assignments because, as I'm leaving, I've lost all motivation to do it and just want to be done with the uni I'm at now. What should I do? Will I be okay to not do them and go straight on with the remainder of my loan and then on to my new uni or should I just get them over and done with so I don't face any negative repercussions? HELP!!!

How many exams / assignments have you got left?
I have 4 left that I haven't even started
Original post by Chronoscope
How many exams / assignments have you got left?
do you know what you're gonna do??
Original post by Anonymous
Basically in the same boat as me, although I'm at the end of my second year. Been sticking it out just to avoid causing problems with my loan/grant. Got three assignments to complete by the end of May... Got my last two lectures of the semester tomorrow, and I have no intention of actually showing up. Just got zero motivation at this stage.
Planning to just run down the clock for this year, and then just not bother to re-enrol for the next one, or reapply for finance... I have these three assignments to do for the end of next month, and I seriously doubt I'll be able to summon up the motivation to do them.

One is simple enough... Do some research, write an essay. The second one is much more practical and will almost certainly need me to visit campus to use their facilities. Plus I have to write weekly 500 word "blogs" for that, which is a nightmare. The third one I have no clue what I'm doing on it, and I just can't see any way of getting it done.

They seem pretty chill about attendance, but one thing they do talk about a lot is "engagement with the material" which I take to mean "at least have a go at it".

do you know what you're gonna do??
Gotcha okay- all of my assignments are really involved and practical annoyingly. For one I have to interview someone in video format and edit it down to a set time limit then complete a project and an essay to match and for the other 2 its basically writing songs and completing an analysis essay about each one explaining what I've done and why which is going to take me years to do.

If there aren't any negative repercussions to not doing them (as in it won't be on my record or easy for anyone to find out I failed a year) then I'm going to skip and leave in august when the academic year ends I think.

My only worry at the mo is the uni kicking me out for not doing them sooner than august which would mean I would have to start paying back the loan I'm not entitled to.
Original post by Anonymous
Planning to just run down the clock for this year, and then just not bother to re-enrol for the next one, or reapply for finance... I have these three assignments to do for the end of next month, and I seriously doubt I'll be able to summon up the motivation to do them.

One is simple enough... Do some research, write an essay. The second one is much more practical and will almost certainly need me to visit campus to use their facilities. Plus I have to write weekly 500 word "blogs" for that, which is a nightmare. The third one I have no clue what I'm doing on it, and I just can't see any way of getting it done.

They seem pretty chill about attendance, but one thing they do talk about a lot is "engagement with the material" which I take to mean "at least have a go at it".
Gotcha okay- all of my assignments are really involved and practical annoyingly. For one I have to interview someone in video format and edit it down to a set time limit then complete a project and an essay to match and for the other 2 its basically writing songs and completing an analysis essay about each one explaining what I've done and why which is going to take me years to do.

If there aren't any negative repercussions to not doing them (as in it won't be on my record or easy for anyone to find out I failed a year) then I'm going to skip and leave in august when the academic year ends I think.

My only worry at the mo is the uni kicking me out for not doing them sooner than august which would mean I would have to start paying back the loan I'm not entitled to.

I don't think you need to worry about your academic record. You've got another course and uni lined up, so it's not like you just can't be bothered. Plenty of people switch courses and institutions, for all sorts of reasons. As far as I can tell there should be no reason to mention the course you are currently doing on your CV or to any potential employer.
So do you reckon I'll be able to get away without doing them?
Reply 9
Is your place at the new university to restart the degree, or to go in at the next year?
It's restarting a different degree in the same field. I was studying songwriting previously and I'm going on to study BA music in September.
Original post by gjd800
Is your place at the new university to restart the degree, or to go in at the next year?
It's restarting a different degree in the same field. I was studying songwriting previously and I'm going on to study BA music in September.

Then you'll in principle be ok not to bother, though it is usually better to have a completed year behind you than incomplete.
So do you reckon I'll be able to get away without doing them?

that depends if your university will allow you to stay enrolled if you stop engaging - failing to submit work may trigger attendance monitoring

You'd be better off submitting SOMETHING if you don't want to risk being withdrawn for non-engagement/non-attendance

You only need to pay back the amount pro-rata that you wouldn't have "earned" by that point. If you leave at the end of term 2 you most likely won't have to pay back anything if you haven't yet had your third loan disbursement.

It really depends on whether your offer for the new uni is contingent on you getting a certain result in your current course - even if it's just a pass. If there is such a condition then not doing your assignments would obviously not be a good idea.
Okay amazing, thank you! Getting into my new uni has completely ruined all motivation I have for this one so I doubt I'll end up doing the exams.
Original post by gjd800
Then you'll in principle be ok not to bother, though it is usually better to have a completed year behind you than incomplete.
I've had a couple emails already with people questioning my attendance but I have warned the university that I'm dropping out at the end of the year so it isn't like they don't know and they haven't seemed bothered about me no showing.

Good shout with the submitting something- If I do stay enrolled I'll probably do that!
Original post by PQ
that depends if your university will allow you to stay enrolled if you stop engaging - failing to submit work may trigger attendance monitoring

You'd be better off submitting SOMETHING if you don't want to risk being withdrawn for non-engagement/non-attendance
Original post by artful_lounger
You only need to pay back the amount pro-rata that you wouldn't have "earned" by that point. If you leave at the end of term 2 you most likely won't have to pay back anything if you haven't yet had your third loan disbursement.

It really depends on whether your offer for the new uni is contingent on you getting a certain result in your current course - even if it's just a pass. If there is such a condition then not doing your assignments would obviously not be a good idea.

Luckily my new uni offer has nothing to do with this uni I'm currently enrolled at and I've received an unconditional so I'm on track to start in September regardless of what happens now!

We're in term 3 now and I've had my third loan amount so I think I'm probably a bit stuffed with that but hey ho.
Luckily my new uni offer has nothing to do with this uni I'm currently enrolled at and I've received an unconditional so I'm on track to start in September regardless of what happens now!

We're in term 3 now and I've had my third loan amount so I think I'm probably a bit stuffed with that but hey ho.

Honestly I'd say just make an effort to do them and don't worry about the outcome rather than just skipping them entirely...but that's me personally.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending