The Student Room Group

Applying to American colleges as a Uk student

Hi, so now i am in year 9 and I am taking Gcses early (this year) and a-levels early(next year) with predicted grade 9s. As well as this I am applying to a variety of EC's. What else should I do , to stand out from all the other international students?
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi, so now i am in year 9 and I am taking Gcses early (this year) and a-levels early(next year) with predicted grade 9s. As well as this I am applying to a variety of EC's. What else should I do , to stand out from all the other international students?

For your A level subjects try and have a humanities or a language subject (essay based subject). Many of my friends who went on to study at Ivy league schools + Stanford usually do the following: start a club, start a non-profit, have committed to a couple of activities for 3 years +, volunteer, attended online courses, won competitions (science Olympiads, essay writing competitions (the one held by Harvard is quite popular, math Olympiads, anything really), did research with a professor from a highly ranked school. But really it's all holistic so even from now you can think about what you want to write for in your main Common App essay. Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by Tulipbloom
For your A level subjects try and have a humanities or a language subject (essay based subject). Many of my friends who went on to study at Ivy league schools + Stanford usually do the following: start a club, start a non-profit, have committed to a couple of activities for 3 years +, volunteer, attended online courses, won competitions (science Olympiads, essay writing competitions (the one held by Harvard is quite popular, math Olympiads, anything really), did research with a professor from a highly ranked school. But really it's all holistic so even from now you can think about what you want to write for in your main Common App essay. Hope this helps!

Hi thanks this really helps. I am thinking about taking maths, further maths and physics next year and when everyone else takes a levels I will take english, Biology and one more. What essay writing competitions are there?
Reply 3
Hi thanks this really helps. I am thinking about taking maths, further maths and physics next year and when everyone else takes a levels I will take english, Biology and one more. What essay writing competitions are there?

Also, I took the JMC and got olympiad for my school. How can I do other competitions outside of school(math) and which ones shouuld i do
Reply 4
Original post by Tulipbloom

How did they find professors to do research with ? I am struggling so much on that bit

Some competitions you can look at: Harvard Crimson Global Essay Competition, John Locke Essay Competition, (for females) HarvardWE Essay to name a few. Oxbridge hosts many and you simply must look them up.
Also, I took the JMC and got olympiad for my school. How can I do other competitions outside of school(math) and which ones shouuld i do

Firstly, sk your subject teachers. I did the UKMT throughout my high school years and my friends simply scoured the internet for competitions done locally/abroad. Do keep in mind there is a section on the common app for these competition awards and it would be best to have competed in a national/state competition and one that has a lot of participants. They want you to be quite detailed in your description of these awards (things such as rank out of all participants, position, score obtained etc). Also keep in mind you can only key in a maximum of 5 of these awards/competitions unless the school allows you to submit an additional resume.
How did they find professors to do research with ? I am struggling so much on that bit

What one of my friends did was to actually email the professor. It might have been easier for her considering her position in a political party. She actually first got advice for her EPQ from this professor and later collaborated on another project.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending